finding a leak - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By SanderO
  • 1 Post By tempest
  • 1 Post By paulinnanaimo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2019 Thread Starter

finding a leak

I discovered some water which should not be where I found it. This of course means there is a leak. It not the plumbing system... as water was found above the water line. So I assume something in the deck is the cause of the leak... and as the deck slopes aft and also outboard I am thinking the water is also a run off which has found a place to penetrate the deck. Because of the location I am thinking one of two locations... the screws where the dodger bow fitting is screwed to the deck/cockpit coaming... or the aft end of the genoa track. I reset and bedded the less likely dodger fitting. We had a lot of rain and so if the evidence is there I will not look at the track.

Once the water penetrates the deck... it would likely then travel on the top of the GRP head liner to the lowest point.

I DID discover the top of an upper cabinet which joins to the head liner wet a few months ago... thought it odd but now I think this is where the water is coming down and ends up inside a formica lined bin below this cab bulkhead... which catches and holds the water. Water leaves no evidence on vertical surfaces as they dry quickly. A test may can the stream in progress.

Should I test the track by opening the hose and let a good stream of water flow down and aft along the high side of the track?

Should I remove the entire track and re seal each bolt and bed the track?

I can't access the nuts under the deck because of the GRP head liner. I suspect they are glassed in. If not removing the bolt will cause the bolt to drop and that is a disaster. I am assuming the track is bolted and not screwed. Screwed down I could remove it fill holes with epoxy, bed track and re screw the track

Or should I loosen the bolts enough to inject sealant (silicone).. but not enough for the bolt to potentially drop down and tighten the the bolt?

Or should I remove the aft screws (location of the suspected leak).... inject something like silicone and screw them back down?

Of course leak could be higher... like a deck hatch...

Help!
When I was younger so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors
chef2sail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 04-21-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2019

Re: finding a leak

I HATE deck leaks. How can they appear below someplace 50' away from their origin on deck when you have only a 38' boat?

The last one I chased turned out to be a snap for a dodger that had backed out and gone unnoticed. Of course, the stain below was a long way away.

The way I found it was 2 people, one on deck with a hose, me down below. Don't have the hose person move too fast, if the river of dread is long, may take a while for the water to propagate to drip down below.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2019

I removed and re-bedded a fixed port, and removed and re-bedded a Genoa track, before discovering that the leak was coming from the hand rails on the cabin top and traveling down.

I guess the point is that I'd start spraying water on the track, if that doesn't leak, work your way up, leaving some time in-between the soakings. ( like a day or two.)
SanderO likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2019

When my track was leaking it was very difficult to determine if it was actually the problem. Using a long narrow piece of plastic, I taped it firmly over the entire track...no ingress with the plastic in place.
SanderO likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Do the soap bubble test. Fastest and cheapest way to find ALL the leaks where they really are. There's no downside to it, and no better or faster way to find the leaks.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2019
Living the dream

When I had a leak that defied all conventional attempts to find it, I eventually tracked it down using a garden sprayer. In my case it was a leak at the hull deck join

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in