Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 86 Old 04-22-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Re: Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Sorry, you had to learn this way. Warn others.
Trying to.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 86 Old 04-22-2019

Bought a quart for the alum RIB... probably will not use it or is this type of paint from SeaHawk OK?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #13 of 86 Old 04-22-2019

The types and amounts of fouling organisms vary with location. So each pain will vary in its effectiveness, depending on location. We used Sea Hawk Talon and after 20 months on the coast of Georgia, there was almost no growth on the bottom. We used Cukote on our last haulout. It's supposed to be even better. Hoping it works as well.

post #14 of 86 Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

So the Western Florida rep asked me "Please explain your process in cleaning your boat."

I don't really understand what this has to do with the new paint allowing hard growth in the 2 weeks it had been since I had last looked.

But, I told him it wouldn't wipe/rub off and it took a scraper to get the growth off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don L; 05-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #15 of 86 Old 05-02-2019

Maybe Seahawk expects you to clean your bottom every day?

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #16 of 86 Old 05-02-2019
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
So the Western Florida rep asked me "Please explain your process in cleaning your boat."

I don't really understand what this has to do with the new paint allowing hard growth in the 2 weeks it had been since I had last looked.
He's looking for a way to blame you for the paint's poor performance. And while I do not care for Sea Hawk Paint's products or business practices, I do like this from their website. The most reasonable and realistic anti fouling paint maintenance recommendations I have found from any paint manufacturer:

Rules to Stick to for Underwater Hull Cleaning and Maintenance

To maintain your bottom paint’s performance and to stretch the time between haul-outs for applying new bottom painting, regular cleaning of your boat’s hull should be performed on a monthly basis. You will also benefit with better fuel efficiency when your hull bottom is kept smooth and clean. All things considered, it’s easy to see how regular hull cleanings can save you a significant amount of money over the course of time.

Best Practices for Underwater Hull Cleaning and Maintenance

● Clean gently to avoid removing too much paint.
● It is best to wait 60 days before the first cleaning after having a hard antifouling paint applied.
● Use the least abrasive material available; soft sponge, pieces of carpet.
● Use harder more abrasive cleaning pads only when hard growth needs to be removed.
● If the hull is still clean after 30 days, do not clean the entire hull; do the waterline, running gear and propeller only.
● Do not sand or chip hull paint underwater.
● If you can’t do these regular cleanings yourself, hire a professional hull cleaning company.

https://www.seahawkpaints.com/underw...g-maintenance/

Last edited by Fstbttms; 05-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #17 of 86 Old 05-02-2019
Master Mariner

"Rules to Stick to for Underwater Hull Cleaning and Maintenance

To maintain your bottom paint’s performance and to stretch the time between haul-outs for applying new bottom painting, regular cleaning of your boat’s hull should be performed on a monthly basis. You will also benefit with better fuel efficiency when your hull bottom is kept smooth and clean. All things considered, it’s easy to see how regular hull cleanings can save you a significant amount of money over the course of time."

If this is truly on the Sea Hawk website, why would anyone ever buy their paint? They are flat chat telling you their paint doesn't work. I wish I'd had the foresight to go to the website before I bought their garbage paint if this was on the website in 2013!
As for Coppercoat, I've heard so many conflicting reports from those who have it that I'm not willing to spend 5 or 6 grand on that bottom job.
Years ago I bought an electric hookah rig, anticipating the fact that antifouling paint no longer does what we pay so much money for; antifouling! At least this year we only spent around us$7.50 a gallon for antifouling paint that is working better than the Sea Hawk ever did (@ around us$300.00 a gallon), and as well as any paint anyone I've talked to down here has tried.
It seems there are quite a few paints out there available for around us$100.00, that work as poorly as any of the expensive antifouling paints, so why is anyone still spending money on the expensive stuff? I'm almost of a mind to just put a high gloss epoxy paint on the bottom, wax the cr*p out of it and leave it at that. At least it would be really easy to clean and not have to be repainted every year or two.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #18 of 86 Old 05-02-2019
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
If this is truly on the Sea Hawk website, why would anyone ever buy their paint? They are flat chat telling you their paint doesn't work.
post #19 of 86 Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:

If this is truly on the Sea Hawk website, why would anyone ever buy their paint? They are flat chat telling you their paint doesn't work.
Yes and like I wrote on post 1 if you read the"guarantee" aganist hard growth it is only good if one one their "certified" yard put the paint on and you have cleaned it every month

I based my selection on things other than Seahawks site of course. On of which is PS tests when to pass the hard growth has to basically just wash off.

post #20 of 86 Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Maybe Seahawk expects you to clean your bottom every day?

Mark
I will admit I clean my butt hole everyday and no hard growth is occurring.
Minnesail likes this.

Last edited by Don L; 05-02-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in