11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 Old 05-02-2019
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Re: Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
On of which is PS tests when to pass the hard growth has to basically just wash off.
Regardless of how old an anti fouling paint is or how well it may have worked at any time during its lifespan, hard growth does not simply "wash off", at least not without a pressure washer. If that is actually a criteria of the Practical Sailor anti fouling paint tests (and I doubt that it is), it is an unrealistic one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 Old 05-02-2019

Quote:
I will attempt I clean my butt hole everyday and no hard growth is occurring.
You never need to hire a diver?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #23 of 73 Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
NOOOOOOO, you get arrested for that

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 73 Old 05-02-2019

Using Micron 66. There have been numerous changes in formulations in most all brands with resultant poorer performace. Bought extra micron 2 1/2 years ago. Kept unopened in very cool place. Also was given packets of a tin additive. So far so good. Problem has been running gear and bow thruster. Nothing works. So run the bow thruster at anchor time to time. Think most important thing for any ablative paint is to sail the boat. From what Iíve seen and heard the water based paints are worthless, black and red are better than white or light blue with ablative and nothing prevents slime if the boat is still.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #25 of 73 Old 05-02-2019
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Quote:
NOOOOOOO, you get arrested for that [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/SailNet_Toucan/

smilies/tango_face_crying.png[/IMG]
What in god’s name are you talking about?
post #26 of 73 Old 05-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
What in godís name are you talking about?
Just some good-natured jocularity. Pay no never mind.

Quote:
I will admit I clean my butt hole everyday and no hard growth is occurring.
Quote:
Quote:
NOOOOOOO, you get arrested for that

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #27 of 73 Old 05-02-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Also was given packets of a tin additive.

From what I’ve seen and heard the water based paints are worthless, black and red are better than white or light blue with ablative and nothing prevents slime if the boat is still.
A couple quick comments on that, they are paints that use water as a solvent and not water based. We have been getting really good feed back on the water soluble paints. It is my understanding that they tend to carry and disburse the antibiotic based anti-fouling (SR) materials better than their alkyd cousins. Also for what its worth, it is my understanding adding tin to bottom paint (except for very specific excepted cases) is illegal in the U.S. and Europe since its adding a heavy metal to the water. In terms of color, according to the paint manufacturers Black does the worst of all bottom paint colors. Red is often thought to do best since the manufacturers can add more copper without it showing and so you could only buy the highest copper content material in red. Now a days you can buy blue or green with the same copper content and they perform about the same as red. White is specialty color that does not conceal as large a copper content and so does not fair as well because there is generally less copper in it. But because it is white, you are also more aware of any fouling so the racers liked to use it since the divers could in theory do a better job because they could better see what they were doing.

Jeff
chef2sail and outbound like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-02-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #28 of 73 Old 05-02-2019

When we sailed on Barnegat Bay I started out with Interlux ablative because that's what the yard used when we bought her. We got three years out of it for six years total.

I tried Petrit Hydrocoat and got three years out of it as well. When we hauled out the second season it was showing a little more wear around the water line and leading edges than the Interlux so I touched it up.

The last year I had that boat I tried Sea Hawk at the recommendation of a local shop. I was shocked at how bad it was after one short season where the boat didn't even get all that much use. The hull needed to be completely redone after one season.

I would never use Sea Hawk products again.

The prep and application was the same for all three paints. The bottom was pressure washed when we hauled. The old paint was scuffed with a sanding screen, then washed to remove the dust. Two coats of paint on the hull, and a third coat along the water line and the leading edges of the bow and keel.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #29 of 73 Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

The latest email for the Seahawk rep:

"
Ray Surdyk
5:43 PM (1 hour ago)
So you donít clean your hull on a monthly basis?"

You can see where this is going. Guess it means nothing to them that this was new paint mid Feb. Left mostly fresh brackish water Mar 8 with a clean hull. STILL had a clean hull in Palm Beach on 4/5. On 4/15, 1/3 of the boat had hard growth.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #30 of 73 Old 05-02-2019

I have some time timorrow and will do a dinghy around in boot key and spy on hulls.
I think all longish term biats here have...your pox.
Will holler back....

Thats just a cya email attempt...sad...could be informative and supportive...but not

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in