Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS! - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019

Re: Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
This thread is simple in what it's about:
How would you know what this thread is about? The title gives no clues, and the original poster won't stick to the topic...

Mark
chall03 and Minnesail like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019

Oops, that was humor - meant to insert a smiley there for Chef.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
Old 05-05-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
How would you know what this thread is about? The title gives no clues, and the original poster won't stick to the topic...

Mark
Good thing I've met you a couple of times and have direct personal knowledge of your state of overall confusion

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Old 05-05-2019

Any of you salty bastards in the PNW (Bellingham Bay and the San Juans is where I will be) with a recommendation for bottom paint? The current plan is to haul and store it every Winter unless a deal can be found on a slip in the harbor.

Mind, the bottom is currently being sandblasted to gelcoat and I have nothing but time to make sure the prep is as perfect as it can be. A good hard paint with ablative on top?
Old 05-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
A good hard paint with ablative on top?
Why would you combine the two? I’d put several coats of epoxy barrier coat on the stripped hull, then apply a few of your antifoulant of choice. With ablative, many will do a unique color for the base layer, so you know if you’ve worn down to it.

I know at least one or both, Petit or Interlux, has a geographic selection tool on their website.

Getting down to bare is a nice feeling. Just be sure the barrier and paint are applied correctly too. Many have min and/or max drying times. Sometimes these are limits in which you must splash to keep the paint from over drying. For others it changes the method from hot coating to sand and coat. The truth is, I never know whether to trust the marina does this correctly.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I can't/won't help you in your continued attempt to narrow SN down to only people in the upper Chesapeake Bay, with New Englanders allowed to watch. You will just need to continue to put up with us others. Feel free to keep your nose in the air about it - doesn't bother us.

Mark,

Not sure where this animus comes from. Iím certainly not trying to pit anyone against anyone else. Iíll leave that to you and your previous buddy SD. No one here has their nose in the air. Nor do I feel anyone, least of all me is ďputting up withĒ anyone. We are all sailors after all no matter how we use our boats. I respect your expertise and information. But I donít swallow your technique of presentation or share the way we use our boats.

It is my opinion that you continually post mostly from a cruisers point of view....which makes sense and is to be expected , as thatís what you are. There is no value judgement placed on that by me though you seem to infer that. There is room for everyone here on SN....even us Chesapeake and northern brothers.

There are many other posters on here from many other areas....the Chesapeake included. Your sailing goals and use of your boat is not the same as mine. If pointing that out makes you uncomfortable, either get some thicker skin or feel free to place me on ignore

Since most of my use of our boat includes the Chesapeake area as well as occasional trips to the north I usually post from that frame of reference. I think that makes perfect sense. I wonít apologize for that. I like where I live and sail.

Sorry you and Don feel like ďchumpsĒ for buying bottom paint......I donít. Iíll bet many of us donít feel like chumps because we do. That was a ridiculous statement..

Bottom paint is a necessity for many of us. And get the best we can.

As far as the statement about the drivers, divers, there are already a few marinas in the Chessie who have banned the use of divers in the marina proper . In fact all ďclean marinas ď in the Chessie require catching of the excess bottom paint when removing it, either by sanding or when power washing the hulls.

Iíll bet many boaters look for the most effective and cost efficient bottom paint. Thatís where Dons post was useful. Don reported on the complete ineffectiveness of the Seahawk. Thatís valuable information for the rest of us.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 05-05-2019

I am doing all the work on this boat myself in my driveway on my 2+ acres, so I'm not worried about someone else not following the directions. Summers in this area are quite condusive to epoxies as long as you dont try to do too big of an area at once.

The reason I ask you guys and not the product websites is because of the reasons pointed out in this thread. Interlux will try to tell me to go with their expensive stuff. But CopperCoat is obviously the choice if I ask them. Living in the (much) Greater Seattle area I should definitely go with Seahawk products.
Old 05-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I can't/won't help you in your continued attempt to narrow SN down to only people in the upper Chesapeake Bay, with New Englanders allowed to watch. You will just need to continue to put up with us others. Feel free to keep your nose in the air about it - doesn't bother us.

Mark,

Not sure where this animus comes from. I’m certainly not trying to pit anyone against anyone else. I’ll leave that to you and your previous buddy SD. No one here has their nose in the air. Nor do I feel anyone, least of all me is “putting up with” anyone. We are all sailors after all no matter how we use our boats. I respect your expertise and information. But I don’t swallow your technique of presentation or share the way we use our boats.

It is my opinion that you continually post mostly from a cruisers point of view....which makes sense and is to be expected , as that’s what you are. There is no value judgement placed on that by me though you seem to infer that. There is room for everyone here on SN....even us Chesapeake and northern brothers.
The only animosity is coming from you, brother. He made a broad statement covering everyone, yet No one, and you took it as a personal affront.

This is the internet. Take everything with a grain of salt and realize they arent always talking about you.

Also, every one is a chump one way or another. I buy tools off thr Snap-On tool truck. That totally makes me a chump. So be it. I dont care if someone thinks that.
Old 05-05-2019

Too bad sears went belly up and craftsmanís is now Chinese junk. Thereís limited space on a boat. I buy snap on when I can as well.
When I was in the northeast I was obligated to pick up the diver and leave the marina, anchor and clean. Think thatís pretty common. Shoots the whole day. Down here in Eastern Caribbean it means additional expense in many places for the opposite reason. The divers like to do multiple boats in a given day so want you in a slip in a marina. If you want to get things done through the island time mentality you go into a slip. Also ever try cleaning a bottom where thereís a current? Not pleasant. Ever try cleaning a bottom in cold water? Not pleasant. In the absence of holding tanks thereís many places I wonít make water, wonít use a bucket of sea water to flush off the deck and definitely wonít enter the water. Lastly Iím alone on the boat not infrequently if things go wrong it not a good thing. Donít even have someone to hand me tools. Now the wifeís with me full time she doesnít want to sit around while I do the bottom.
I donít like marinas nor slips. I would like a bottom paint that works. Iím fairly convinced all brands work less well and for a shorter period of time then they did in the past. I further wonder if the increasing restrictions have any meaningful impact on the environment.
So I think the high price stuff is worth it. When they outlaw Cu and impose the California rules it may not be but for present it is.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Old 05-05-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
The only animosity is coming from you, brother. He made a broad statement covering everyone, yet No one, and you took it as a personal affront.

This is the internet. Take everything with a grain of salt and realize they arent always talking about you.

Also, every one is a chump one way or another. I buy tools off thr Snap-On tool truck. That totally makes me a chump. So be it. I dont care if someone thinks that.
Amusing....😄😄🌪🌪🤘🤘. And a waste of time to continue

So do you have anything to add to the subject at hand......bottom paint?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in