Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS! - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 72 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Picnic Sailor

Re: Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!

With apologies to Don for a touch more thread drift....

I wonder what people's thoughts are on the Silicone based SeaSpeed VX 10 that Delos have applied?

It's still a bit experimental for my tastes and if it doesn't work a complete PITA to get off again.

It's horses for courses and if your boat sits around in a slip not moving often it's not a good option, but for cruisers it has some appeal.

FWIW Cooper paint has long been banned in some parts of Europe.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 1 Week Ago at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 1 Week Ago
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
FWIW Cooper paint has long been banned down here in OZ...
100% untrue.
post #63 of 72 Old 1 Week Ago
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
100% untrue.
You are 104% correct.

I typed badly and ended up saying something I didn't mean to say.

SO........I have now edited my post to

"FWIW Cooper paint has long been banned in some parts of Europe"

Basically I did intend to try and discuss Australia but then realised the situation here in terms of where we are headed is unclear.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #64 of 72 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I applied 3 gals of Seahawk CuKote and 1 gal of SeaHawk BioCop to my hull between Feb 8-13, 2019. Now it is only April 21, 2019 and I have barnacles all over the hull! So that's 2 months and 1 week on $980 worth on what is suppose to be their upper end and best bottom paints.

While they have a warranty, it is written so it would never cover a DIYer. So even though I sent them a comment I expect nothing and even if they covered it, it still would be completely unacceptable.

Just thought I would share.
My last word on this:

I scraped off those barnacles and they came back within 2.5 weeks in a different harbor. So now a Hookah is in my future and I'm going to become very familiar with my boat bottom the next 2 years.

I did contact Seahawk at the start of this to let them know. As I expected, without saying it they started right down the wording in their warranty that pretty much excludes any DIY application. So the warranty (below) is meaningless if you are DIY:

"New Nautical Coatings, Inc. warrants the Covered Product to be free of all defects in material and workmanship and to deter hull fouling from hard growth including any and all types of barnacles, corals, oysters, or zebra mussels for a period of one year"

The regional sales guy made words to sound like he wanted me to be a "satisfied Seahawk user" and the lastest word was "If you are willing to pay for a haul out, I will Iíll come look at the boat". But that's crazy to me to throw good money for the hope of, at best, a new application of the paint that's not performing.

To the people who posted they use Seahawk paint and it's working. That's great for you that the paint is doing what it is supposed to do. But that doesn't mean much to us that the paint isn't.

To those that posted they had a problem and Seahawk paid to have their paint repainted. That's not really an acceptable outcome. All that says is that using their paint is a gamble and may work from batch to batch.

To those that posted their Seahawk paint didn't work, I feel your pain and wish when I was deciding to use it and researched the paint a warning thread showed up in my search (here it now is).
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #65 of 72 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Well I said I had done my final word on the thread. But ....................

I was under the boat just last week and checked and cleaned it. Since then I left a marshy location in Fort Myers Beach and went out into the Gulf then to Punta Gorda Fl into the mouth of the Peace River (brackish) for 3 days and now am anchored in the GIWW south of Venice Fl. Went in for a swim just now and while in checked the bottom. The barnacles have now moved to growing pretty much everywhere and it has BEEN LESS THAN A WEEK!!!

post #66 of 72 Old 4 Days Ago

Multi packs of plastic scrapers.
Round the ends of metal scrapers

Sux
post #67 of 72 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Multi packs of plastic scrapers.
Round the ends of metal scrapers

Sux
yeah multipack is the answer as the one I have is already getting all beat up on the barnacles

post #68 of 72 Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Well I said I had done my final word on the thread. But ....................

I was under the boat just last week and checked and cleaned it. Since then I left a marshy location in Fort Myers Beach and went out into the Gulf then to Punta Gorda Fl into the mouth of the Peace River (brackish) for 3 days and now am anchored in the GIWW south of Venice Fl. Went in for a swim just now and while in checked the bottom. The barnacles have now moved to growing pretty much everywhere and it has BEEN LESS THAN A WEEK!!!
Yard must have used Behr house paint.
post #69 of 72 Old 3 Days Ago
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

capta-
"regular cleaning of your boatís hull should be performed on a monthly basis."
We've found that's true, carved in stone, and the vast majority of boats anywhere in LI Sound will tell you the same thing. Either you clean AT LEAST monthly, or you're going to have a putting green and mollusk ranch down there.
Haven't ever met Sea Hawk, but they're just telling the ugly truth on that. IF you're lucky enough to keep a boat in sterile water, or water that's too toxic to support life, or water that has a continuous fast current, or to be sailing it all day most every day...then maybe you can get away without cleaning.
As to coppercoat...the ultimate judge is the marketplace. After 40+ years they're claiming only 1000 installations per year--globally.
post #70 of 72 Old 3 Days Ago

While RI is a relatively low growth area, especially compared to down south, it shouldn't be all that different from LIS. Unprotected surfaces, left in the water, will develop severe hard growth, such as dock floats.

We put a single coat of Petit Vivid on each year and only clean once or twice per season. We are in the water for 7 months per year. I'd do more, but divers are not permitted in our marina, so it's a hassle. We've never, ever had hard growth on the paint. Slime only. The unprotected shaft and prop do get hard growth.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in