Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS! - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!

I applied 3 gals of Seahawk CuKote and 1 gal of SeaHawk BioCop to my hull between Feb 8-13, 2019. Now it is only April 21, 2019 and I have barnacles all over the hull! So that's 2 months and 1 week on $980 worth on what is suppose to be their upper end and best bottom paints.

While they have a warranty, it is written so it would never cover a DIYer. So even though I send them a comment I expect nothing and even if they covered it, it still would be completely unacceptable.

JUst thought I would share.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Seahawk Bottom Paint - **UCKS!

Why two different types? I don't think that had anything to do with performance, though - just curious.

Frankly, we haven't found many paints that work worth a crap South of North Carolina, and almost none that work South of Florida.

The exceptions are Micron 66, which holds up for a year, and can be stretched to two years - but it is so soft it goes away very quickly. The last paint we used was Ameron ABC3, bought from a local PPG paint store, and cost $90/gal. This has been the second best paint we have ever used in the tropics, and the only one in the US I will apply now. The best paint is found in the Caribe, but is illegal in most other places. It really works, but I won't say any more because our resident hull cleaner here will get his panties in a wad and make us listen to him rant.

Other than these exceptions, every other paint we have used has performed like you are experiencing.

The boat we recently bought came with CopperCoat. So far, I'm not impressed, and fear painting is in our future again.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Its because.....location.
2 weeks in marathon...need cleaning if setting off.
4 weeks...learn how to french braid the hull hair.
Yeah....mini barnies like measels

post #4 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Only been in Marathon for 11 days

2 paints because a gal Cukote can be “boosted” with a pint of the BioCop. The Cukote has higher copper and I like that for the long term. Due to pricing it was better to just buy a gal of the higher end BioCop, which left a lot of it after the boosting. So the last coat, the one the barnacles are growing on, is just BioCop.

I checked with seahawk prior and they said this was fine to do.

post #5 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Wind over tide in boot key so there isnt strong flow. Doesnt flush well

Where youre headed will be different.

Maybe pause the hate button...and see
post #6 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Maybe pause the hate button...and see
What?????

Brand new paint that has grown the pox in a month.

Btw - I’ve been here before for 3 months with paint that was 2 years old at the time. It grew grass but no pox

post #7 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

He does have a point. We have experienced very bad growth before on newish paint in a particular area, only to scrape it off, move to a different location, and have no more trouble with it for the rest of its life. The same location could have different growth behaviors over time. I'll join you in hating SeaHawk paint if it keeps up this record as you move around.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #8 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

We had Sea Hawk professionally applied 2 years in a row, thinking we had just got a bad batch the first year. Six or 7 weeks and the growth started both times. Contacted the company and they offered us 3 gallons of free paint; the same paint that didn't work.
Fought with them for 2 years and finally gave up, but I have been trying to warn folks that the products from Sea Hawk aren't at all good and the company won't stand behind their products. Check the Grenada Cruisers Facebook page for lots of horror stories about Sea Hawk. Not too many positive reviews over the last 7 years!
Sorry, you had to learn this way. Warn others.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
What?????

Brand new paint that has grown the pox in a month.

Btw - I’ve been here before for 3 months with paint that was 2 years old at the time. It grew grass but no pox
Totally agree.

And then there is this little problem with the company: https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...d-coating-case
post #10 of 72 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Totally agree.

And then there is this little problem with the company: https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...d-coating-case
Actually, on second thought, they could make back that $1,235,315 fine in a jiffy, if they just took advantage of the present administration's EPA's disinterest. 80% TBTs. Woopie!
Clean bottoms for all! Shall we put it on a hat? lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in