Raising L'eau Blow - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Minnesail
  • 2 Post By findingzzero

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2019 Thread Starter

Raising L'eau Blow

I have a 600lb daysailer (Boston Whaler 5.1) on a one axle trailer. I had it up on blocks/wheels off, and during a high wind, for the first time in 28n yrs it was blown off its blocks. The rear axle/wheel bases are in the dirt. I tried to use 2 jacks to raise it w/o putting too much pressure on either wheel/axle. The jacks were on either side amidships and succeeded in raising not the rear, but the front. Putting the jacks further aft is problematic as the trailer is scratching the dirt. I'm thinking of jacking up the rear of the boat perhaps with a piece of plywood to distribute the load after unstrapping the boat from the trailer. Then jacking the rear of the trailer out of thee mud.What could possibly go wrong. 5 strong men could work, but I'm not one (75 with sciatica) and I don't know 5 strong men (or weak ones for that matter. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2019

Re: Raising L'eau Blow

I've jacked up my 2200 lb boat and I found a couple things that worked well to distribute the weight.

In one area I used about a 12" square piece of 2" styrofoam insulation on a piece of plywood. The styrofoam compressed and conformed to the shape of the hull.

On a larger area I used two jacks and a large board with a sandbag on it. Again, the sandbag conformed to the shape of the hull.
jephotog and Sal Paradise like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
findingzzero (04-24-2019)
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2019

I have jacked up my Bay Hen (900 lbs) to work on the bilge boards. I did more or less as you describe. Hydraulic jack with some wood to distribute the pressure.

It seemed to work fine.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2019

Just a thought I would look at creating a beam that would span over the top of the trailer frame and below the boat or the bunks. Have it connected to the trailer frame and spanning out past the width of the wheels. That can give you clearance for your jacks on both sides and then as you raise you may need to block the trailer and reset your jacks. A couple floor jacks will give you a great range than small bottle jacks. (Also rather inexpensive at Harbor Freight).
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2019 Thread Starter

I have a car jack and a floor jack (Harbor freight-smileyface). Maybe I'm mis-picturing this, but how do I get the beam between the boat and trailer?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2019

A lot of small boat trailers have 3 or 4 feet of overhang at the stern (mine has about 6 feet). Can you put your beam under the overhanging portion?

Last edited by Arcb; 04-24-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2019
Captain Obvious

Along the keel line and transom they are really strong. I use wood blocks but the sandbag is overkill and possibly dangerous. Its more important where on the boat you apply the force.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2019 Thread Starter

What worked was to unstrap the boat from the trailer and jack up the transom using a piece of wood to distribute the weight. I was able to slowly jack up either side of the trailer. It's back up on blocks but not high enough to put on the wheels. It's been raining and I've been doing other things. Thanks all.
jephotog and Minnesail like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in