What packs in anchor locker better? Nylon or Chain? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 04-27-2019

Re: What packs in anchor locker better? Nylon or Chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is why I chose to say "I’m a fan of all chain, unless it’s not a viable option". The question is in the eye of the beholder to determine what a successful outcome may be. Some search for boats with 10 second PHRF rating differences and consider that an important characteristic. Others never know the difference. Clearly, the boat will continue to sail with this marginal added weight, it's only a matter of whether the skipper and boat can tell the difference in characteristic.

There are pros and cons to different rode setups. Some seem to feel a need to defend their choice. I simply say I prefer all chain, where viable. I can't say if it's viable in the OP's boat. Only they can.

The OP question, however, was which will fit more length. That's been definitively answered.
Agreed, but I don't understand some of the negativity around giving the OP one more factor to consider while making their choice. The point is to help them make an informed decision by sharing our knowledge and experience is it not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 04-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory83 View Post
Agreed, but I don't understand some of the negativity around giving the OP one more factor to consider while making their choice. The point is to help them make an informed decision by sharing our knowledge and experience is it not?
Nothing wrong with sharing opinions and additional thoughts, so I'm not sure what negativity you're referring to.

No doubt, when it comes to many sailing topics, there are many differing points of view.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-27-2019

To the OP:

It helps if you fill in your profile so that we know what type of boat you have.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

post #24 of 27 Old 04-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I can't imagine any proper vessel designer would not take into account the anchor and chain weight when drawing a boat's lines. That would be toral incompetence IMO....
Really.

But then there are all of the owner add-ons, the dinghy on-deck, the reacher....

Of course, the designer should have expected that too.

(No strong personal preference between chain and rope--it depends on the boat and the use and I have had both... but the OP did not share boat information.)

post #25 of 27 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

I think I'm going to wind up with something like 150' feet of chain and 100' of nylon. Or maybe 125' of each. That's if we can gain more space, by moving or eliminating the partition.

If things are simply too tight, I may have go with, say 100/100.

I know we can gain some more space. The question is whether the nylon, going in first, will spread enough to allow more rode period.
post #26 of 27 Old 04-27-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Really.

But then there are all of the owner add-ons, the dinghy on-deck, the reacher....

Of course, the designer should have expected that too.
Really? You might want to reread post 18?
You've been sailing multihulls for a while now and you seriously don't think the designers didn't put anchor lockers in them in specific places? Most cruising multihulls (and monohulls for that matter) have very specific anchor lockers, reinforced for the extra weight and sectioned off for a couple of sets of gear, from my experience. Perhaps you figured all that just ended up there by chance?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #27 of 27 Old 04-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Really? You might want to reread post 18?
You've been sailing multihulls for a while now and you seriously don't think the designers didn't put anchor lockers in them in specific places? Most cruising multihulls (and monohulls for that matter) have very specific anchor lockers, reinforced for the extra weight and sectioned off for a couple of sets of gear, from my experience. Perhaps you figured all that just ended up there by chance?

I was agreeing with you and joking with you. I'm sorry You somehow perceived the reverse meaning of what I intended. Perhaps it was unclear writing on my part.

On any given boat the designer should have allowed for anchors, rode, dinghies and gear appropriate to the intended use. On a light weight boat the allowance will be less, on a heavier boat it will be more. My last boat, a cruising boat, used all chain, had a windlass and very large chain locker, and a dinghy on davits, and carried all of that weight well. My current boat is much lighter and uses rope rode and a kayak for a dinghy. Both are correct.

My point was that we occasionally see boats that are tragically overloaded. Folks add stuff that would be at home on a larger boat but that crowds a small boat. You need to be thoughtful when adding stuff, and if you really need a larger boat, sell and move up. The larger boat will carry the weight better.

We also see boats that were built over weight and drag transoms before they are loaded. I can think of several clear examples. The PDQ 36 comes to mind; they need transom extensions or a serious diet in most cases. But they need more help than a little less chain.

But generally I would think if a boat came with a windlass, the designer was figuring on all-chain.
capta likes this.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-27-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in