Titanium chain plates! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Titanium chain plates!

The thought of titanium is utterly beyond rediculous IMHO.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
Have you heard anything back? Also any idea about how much they will run?

I have not heard back yet on Ti costs, but I will be in touch with them this week. I will also be trying to get a prices for 316 SS just for a comparison. If the cost difference is more than marginal, then I will use 316. I keep hearing about how much the difference is, but I have heard no recent cost comparisons, so I will give it a go.

In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for SS chainplate supplier??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #13 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

How about Insurance, if I have my current 40-year-old chain plates dye tested and tested in general and they are in good shape can I put them back in? Is the insurance company going to want me to replace them anyway because of age?

post #14 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I don't know what boat or what your chain plates look like but if they are simple strap type like 2" wide by 1/4" thick about 2' long. 316 material would be about $40 each before polishing. Ti5 would be $250 each over 5 times the price. but the Ti5 does not need to be polished so you would save the labor cost of mechanical polishing and the cost of electropolishing and passivating. the other thing to consider is that the Ti5 is much stronger then the 316SS so the material does not need to be as thick as the SS so there can be a saving on the Ti but that would need some engineering. if the plates are a weldment then the labor cost can vary being slightly higher for the fab and welding for the TI.
in my Fab shop if we made chainplates and we don't for legal reasons, a 316 polished and passivated chain plate as above would be $250 each a Ti5 plate of the same size plate with just de-burred smooth edges not polished would be $650 each

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #15 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

T37 chainplates are...lets call them...unusual
post #16 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
How about Insurance, if I have my current 40-year-old chain plates dye tested and tested in general and they are in good shape can I put them back in? Is the insurance company going to want me to replace them anyway because of age?

But you haven't considered Tungsten. Have you?

Go do the research properly and then report back yo us.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #17 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Go tungstun if temps inside the cabin will be....very very high...
post #18 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank's for the HELPFUL advice!
overthehorizon likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Not a matter of making our chainplates outlive us. Itís a matter of making sure our mast does and we never have to worry about that again Patrick talks about our chainplates in his video on YouTube called Valiant 40 Sailboat Tour...the Abovedecks tour...
jblumhorst and overthehorizon like this.
post #20 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Cool Re: Titanium chain plates!

Quote:
Hello, I pulled all my original 40-year-old chain plates and they look good. Was thinking about replacing them regardless because of their age. I would like to use Titanium as it was suggested to me by a more experienced salt. Wondering if any of you all have gone that route and where can I have these made since I have no idea!

Thanks!
You ask a good question.
After culling out the responses that flat out ignored your question there is left only only cost and availability. I would change from SS to Ti for any future chainplates needed for my '88 boat. Given that SS has a predilection for cracks and/or corrosion in some wet conditions, and that this can happen more quickly - or slowly - and not with any certainty, I would rather tilt the odds in my favor with the better metal for the application.

I used to see quotes that Ti was about 25% more expensive, but you would need current information to know how or whether to budget for it.
(About a decade ago, I bought some Ti spinnaker shackles for around $35/each, or less than SS shackles. It pays to shop around, as they say.)

If going with SS, I would only get a quote from a vendor with deep roots in the sailing world, like Garhauer. They have the best experience and knowledge about alloys and surface finishing.
This is something that most of us will only do once in our time of boat ownership, so (up to a point) it just does not pay to cheap out.

An extreme example, perhaps, but I recall that when brand new all of the low-quality SS fittings used in the 70's Choy Lee boats looked just as lovely and shiny as the metal from the higher-quality builders. By Year Ten, not so much.

Choose Wisely, as the Knight told Indy........

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in