6 Cabins 5 Bathrooms on a 47 foot mono - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: 6 Cabins 5 Bathrooms on a 47 foot mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
This Jeanneau is like a floating dormitory.
I lived in a dorm. Surrounding one with water isn't a good idea, to put it lightly, unless the occupants are *much* better supervised than my dorm was.
Minnesail likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Look at this boat as a cheap hotel. It canít be about ďsailingĒ, itís a platform to be close to water sports and a place to crash. There is no provision for a dingy. Itís dependent upon ďfixedĒassets like water taxis and restaurants. Iím assuming that at the end of its life cycle, 5-10 years, it will be scrapped or sold cheaply to someone who doesnít know better.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #33 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Suggest a redesign and cost savings...rig for hammocks
Kids are cool with that
Maybe a large locker for limes.....

post #34 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Here is Gadventures sailing page, which is one of the charterers listed in the article. Has a bunch of sample itinerarys, prices, maps, boats currently in service. I noticethey currently have boats in the 50 ft range already doing this sort of thing. Catamarans carrying up to 12 px and monos up to 8 px.

Note some of the prices. $1699 for 7 days sailing in Sri Lanka? You could sign me up for that, sounds like fun.

https://www.gadventures.com/travel-s...ing/sri-lanka/
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #35 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Maybe a redo of the old windjammer cruises
Makes sense
post #36 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Here is Gadventures sailing page, which is one of the charterers listed in the article. Has a bunch of sample itinerarys, prices, maps, boats currently in service. I noticethey currently have boats in the 50 ft range already doing this sort of thing. Catamarans carrying up to 12 px and monos up to 8 px.

Note some of the prices. $1699 for 7 days sailing in Sri Lanka? You could sign me up for that, sounds like fun.

https://www.gadventures.com/travel-s...ing/sri-lanka/
Iím was surprised to see itís the same price in the BVIs. I looked that up, on your link, to see how it compared to rates I'm familiar with, in an area that is generally top dollar.

I didnít look closely enough. Is this per room on one of those new gross boats? If you multiplied it by 4, 6 or 8 people/rooms, that would very high for a 40 ft boat. Presumably, this rate structure, where you buy a single bunk/room, could be done with any vessel.

Scratching head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #37 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I beleive the price is per occupant, presumably based on double occupancy.

Yes, that works out to pretty good coin for the charterer. However, I think its pretty affordable for a 7 day crewed charter for a single or a double. Not every one has another couple or two to split the cost of a charter with.

Seems like a win for everybody. I dont think Gadventures is hurting as a business. I know several people that have done trips with them and been happy.

Their trips are not, nor are they intended to be luxurious, they are intended to be adventurous; trekking in the jungle, offroading in the desert etc.

They probably aren't trying to sell all that hard to the demographic that has the necessary skills and money for bareboat chartering.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Last edited by Arcb; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:00 AM.
post #38 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

It's like a backpackers hostel.

Stay in a dormitory with 8 or 10 other backpackers for $20 per night.

Most people refuse this and pay $150 per night to have their own room in a Hilton.yes the backpacker pays more per rata but less overall. His week's vacation cost one night of yours.

I have stayed in a budget backpackers all over the world, and not just when I was young: my last 3 months I have stayed in a Backpackers (ok in a private room not a Dorm) in Bucharest, Nairobi, Kampala, and Victoria Falls. Nightly cost has been about $50, a saving 9f about $100 per night.

To me it's not a loss of privacy, but a gain of new friends. In a Hilton you go out to dinner and do your own thing. In a backpackers you go to the kitchen or common room and say "who wants to go out?". Every night it's new people, new places, new adventures.

These charter boats are the same: who needs their own cabin, just shove me in a bunk for 8 hours comatose... The rest of the time is sailing, snorkeling, beer drinking, beach walks, girls, and inventing coconut rum sundowners.

Yes you can do all that by yourself but it can be a hell of a lot of fun at 30% of the price with a dozen like-minded sexy drunks.

But for the Hilton mob to slag off the dormatory dwellers shows a great lack of understanding.

Mark
Minnesail and Arcb like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #39 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I'm currently on a charter in the Exumas on a 50 foot Catamaran with my gal. After the Captain drops us off in Georgetown he immediately sets sail for Annapolis where he turns his boat into an AirB&B while he stays onboard. After a month in Annapolis he sails up to Newport and does the same thing for the rest of the summer. He even has a bachelorette party for ten girls already booked. After August he heads back to Annapolis and beginning of November heads back down to the Bahamas for the winter. It works out well for him.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

post #40 of 40 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
He even has a bachelorette party for ten girls already booked.

Ummmm, I'm available to crew.

Minnesail likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in