SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   6 Cabins 5 Bathrooms on a 47 foot mono (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/329400-6-cabins-5-bathrooms-47-foot-mono.html)

Arcb 04-26-2019 09:43 AM

6 Cabins 5 Bathrooms on a 47 foot mono

Its a Jenneau, designed for the charter market, but I guess its reasonable to assume they will eventually find their way into private hands.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/2167...he-SUN-LOFT-47

Jeff_H 04-26-2019 10:07 AM

Re: 6 Cabins 5 Bathrooms on a 47 foot mono

Whatever floats your boat! That is a really bizarre design.
-There is no 'main salon'
-The captain and the two aft cabins are accessed through their own companionways with the captain's cabin access essentially being in the chain locker.
-I assume there is a genset under the main companionway stairs
-For all of the berths and all of the heads, there is not a single dedicated shower.
-There is almost no ventilation down below so I assume the interior is air conditioned.
-The mainsheet layout and self-taking jib suggest that sailing performance has taken a backseat to ease of handling.

That is pretty close to the antithesis of my idea of what I would want in a boat.

Jeff

SloopJonB 04-26-2019 10:23 AM

It reminds me of a Bennie that was built for the charter trade some years back - the entire interior was sleeping cabins and all living, cooking etc. was done on deck.

Great for an always warm climate where it only rains when you are asleep.

MarkofSeaLife 04-26-2019 10:54 AM

A great design for what the want.
And it looks like Dream Yach Charters specced it.

Galley and living area all in the enclosable cockpit.
I dunno what the number of boats expected to be built but its perfect for BVIs, Tonga, Greek Isles and Turkey. You never need to cook on board as you can stop at restaurants.

On the Charter thing, remember there's many tiers now, new boats, down to quite affordable older charter boats.

:)

SV Siren 04-26-2019 11:10 AM

I saw somewhere in some marketing in the last day I saw a boat called a "sailcat monohull" or something along those lines that I think might be this...but I cannot find it again...

I cannot say I care for the design at all...but someone must like it..

MarkofSeaLife 04-26-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Siren (Post 2051598356)
I saw somewhere in some marketing in the last day I saw a boat called a "sailcat monohull" or something along those lines that I think might be this...but I cannot find it again...

It was in the link.
Quote:

On the exterior, this monocat features a vast and versatile cockpit layout that can be modified to suit diverse programs.

Note the word "programs". It's not designed for normal buyers.

jephotog 04-26-2019 11:35 AM

Why?

I can't imagine sharing that little space with that many people.

Arcb 04-26-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Siren (Post 2051598356)

I saw that too. I am not certain what its referring to. My guess is the raised catamaran bridge deck style galley and salon?

capta 04-26-2019 12:54 PM

12 guests on a 47 footer? That's just insane.
Six groups of 2 friends and I'm pretty sure there would be some broken friendships and most family dynamics require a bit more space for a family that large.
I doubt this design will be popular down here, trying to cram 13 people into the cockpit for a nasty channel crossing. I guess you could put them on a watch schedule, those off watch in bed for 8 hours and up and about for 4 for their watch. lol

Minnesail 04-26-2019 01:13 PM

I can see how that could be used. If you had a group of students and $$$ per person was prime consideration that boat would be just the thing. A scout troop or even a bunch of college kids wouldn't care about the tight living arrangements, and might not care how well it sailed.

And it says “designed first and foremost to be chartered by berth” which makes me think they wouldn’t necessarily be chartering it to a group, but instead be taking on pairs of people like a tour boat. When I was younger and took some bum-around trips in the tropics I might have gone for something like that. In those days we were looking for new adventures, but stuff had to be cheap.

F*ck though. 13 people on a 47’ boat? Yikes.