Quickly connecting nylon to chain in emergency. - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quickly connecting nylon to chain in emergency.

I may be storing a nylon rode in a bag on deck, but my anchor (the secondary) will be on a bracket on the pulpit, and its chain will go down a hawse pipe into a small locker space. The chain's bitter end will not be attached to the boat.

I am looking for the best way, in an emergency, to connect the nylon to the chain. The nylon would have a thimble on it.

What is the safest "missing link" to use? A SS carabiner hook? If not, what?

Is there any way to do this without needing something that would require seizing with wire? I am imagining being in a hurry.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-26-2019
Señor Member

Re: Quickly connecting nylon to chain in emergency.

You're kind of defining an anchor shackle. Seizing isn't required (in the short term) if you secure the pin with a good amount of force using a key, pliers, or wrench.

Edit: I suppose you could use a mooring hook which would be faster, but less reliable...

Last edited by ottos; 04-26-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added thoughts
post #3 of 21 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks, ottos. Obviously, I thought about a regular shackle; and I already have a few spares on the boat. But I was hoping for something just a bit quicker to deploy, if possible, without any tools.

But you may be right, and I'll just do that. I could always have the needed tools in a special place for quick access. And I could leave some zip-ties in the bag or with the tools, for quick better-than-nothing seizing.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-26-2019

It’s good practice to have the bitter end attached to the boat in a way you can release quickly. My bitter end is three strand rope chain spliced to chain. The bitter end is tied to an eye, rope is so long that I can cut the rope outside the chain locker. Also long enough to tie a knot to connected to extra rope.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
It’s good practice to have the bitter end attached to the boat in a way you can release quickly. My bitter end is three strand rope chain spliced to chain. The bitter end is tied to an eye, rope is so long that I can cut the rope outside the chain locker. Also long enough to tie a knot to connected to extra rope.

The most reliable method
post #6 of 21 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

My anchor will be hanging on a pulpit mount; it cannot self-launch; the chain cannot get away from me. I will just pull the chain out of the locker and connect it to the rope, at an eye/thimble on the forward end. The rope will be bitter end of the rope will be permanently secured to the boat while in the bag, and in addition will be cleated off on deck when in use.

In reality, I have not used my spare anchor in fifteen years, and don't expect to. But I have to have something in case I'd have to abandon my primary somewhere, or something even more dramatic happened.

I appreciate all the help.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-26-2019
Master Mariner

You don't mention the boat you are sailing, but it is unlikely you will find anything more suitable or secure as a regular old galvanized shackle. Stainless would be much more likely to undo itself and is susceptible to anaerobic corrosion.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 04-26-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

It's a Cape Dory 31. It weighs about six tons.

It looks like I'll probably be going the shackle route. Thanks.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-26-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Please don't leave the bitter end non connected.
Please don't plan in an emergency to go up and connect anything on the foredeck
Please don't start handing connecting chain on a pitching deck.

Anchors are part of safety. They can get you out of a jam or give you time we to stabilize,use a situation should you have a failure or an engine , mast or anything major on the boat. Or even in case of an injury.

Anchors and their accompanying tackle needs to be able to deployed quickly. The anchor needs to bite without necessarily having to back down on it. ( I suggest a new gen Rocna or Manson).

Don't just think of your anchor being put down in lazy quiet anchoring creeks. Consider it may save you bacon in an emergency so make it easy to deploy.
SanderO and Scotty C-M like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 21 Old 04-27-2019

I can't imagine anything being faster or simpler than attaching a shackle. However, I'm not following what kind of emergency you're trying to accommodate. I would not want to have to do this routinely, but you said emergency. Your primary rode should never be able to run out the end. That would certainly cause an emergency.

If you provided a bit more about what your primary set up was, perhaps there would be some more constructive feedback to be had.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in