New Sail Boat Owner-Old boat- Lofland 17 picnic - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

New Sail Boat Owner-Old boat- Lofland 17 picnic

Proud new 1st time owner of a old sailboat, Lofland 17 picnic year unknown.
1950 -1969 350 made

2018 bought the boat for 500$ more then I should have. The seller was trying to get $1000.00 Total cost going home $500.00.
Inside the cabin was jib and main and a 5 hp motor with water for gas in the tank. Looked like it had a bed in front that rotted out long a go. Warned by seller about tires lights and hitch which need to be warped with duct tape, I was given the roll just in case.

No lights on trailer. First stop Harbor freight magnet light set $25.00.

Tiller in de-laminate state. Fix of tiller 20 bucks epoxies from west marine. and a e bay rudder part $15.00

Dumped the water out of the gas tank, look in side and see very little rust. Motor is a 5hp Eska over 20 years old .
Replaced Impeller $25 and cleaned plug and lower end oil 8$. Bought 2 Stroke oil $12.00 for 12oz takes 3 oz pre gal of gas. Placed Motor in bucket of water bulled like a banshee over and over again. LOL Took a breather and noticed the valve to turn on the gas. Duh Ah turned the valve till open and pulled 5 more times. THE MOTOR works and runs well real well. But no reverse. Had to watch Captain Ron to learn how to dock. Knew that it might be harder thin this, It was.

Bought 3 life jackets $70.00 Register boat and trailer $120.00 Cherry creak dam pass $80.00

The big Day-- Hay Brother John Lets go sailing!!! John says will it float? I don't see any holes it should. Load up wife hats sun screen cooler with food chips and beer -3.2 its is 2018. John brings 2 kids and Their mother.

Raise mast for the 3rd time and In my life and notice I forgot the rudder pin. X#$6%^&$*3&*(6. !I have a motor boat!!! We go motor boating the good kind, ok the on the lake kind. We gave that old motor a good test. The motor over heated after about an hour and found out how useless the $15.00 plastic oars are no oars locks. Besides the water 2 feet down. We flounder around the lake for 20mins for the motor to cool this works and ..next group goes for a ride.

Last year I went for a sail for over 12 times. I found it was light in the front and the high free board was catching the wind. Two 50 pounds sand bags in the front bilge helped hold it down. $6.00.

In the fall I fixed the bed in front cabin. With Sailboat style lift outs for storage. I found a wood that may better then marine ply. We may talk about the mods later. And fix flotation. Fix boat after crash

Will Add more later
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3842.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-27-2019
Senior Citizen

Re: New Sail Boat Owner-Old boat- Lofland 17 picnic

You are beginning a great adventure! Keep a journal and write a book. I greatly enjoyed reading the first chapter.
-CH
post #3 of 5 Old 05-02-2019

Nice boat! Congrats. Try to check out rvharvey.com/picnic.htm. You will see lots of info.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-02-2019
Administrator

Nice job in restoring a classic little boat. They were pretty strange boats. They were intended to perform well as both sailboats and motor boats. The ads and the literature produced for these boats back in the day showed people water skiing off of them https://www.rvharvey.com/picnicbrochure.pdf

There were a lot of variations on these. Some were flat bottom and some had vee'd bottoms (The vee-bottom reportedly sailed a little better). Some of them were fit out with a 40 hp outboards and a powerboat style steering wheel on the back bulkhead of the cabin trunk and others had jet drives like a jetski. Some had fractional rigs, and others masthead rigs. Some had a complex interior layout with a pull out galley module and a head, others were pretty much stripped out. Some had seats in the cockpit-some didn't. And all of that on a 17 foot boat. I think that they were built by two or three different companies. (The molds were for sale when I lived in Georgia in the late 1970's and someone I knew had tried to buy them and produce the boat.)

Picnics actually sailed half way decently given that they had nearly flat bottoms and a hull form meant to be a power boat. The build quality varied pretty widely over the production run with the boats being a mix of chopped glass and hand layup depending on the year and manufacturer.

Good luck with her. That should make a good first sailboat to mess with.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I just bought a 1962 Picnic 17. I would love to follow what you have done with your Picnic. I am hoping to put a jet drive in. I found a Berkley 6J new old stock jet drive, which I think is the model used for this boat. I think Lofland built most of the Picnic 17s but the guy who created it is Stan Spitzer of General Boats. Stan is in his 90s and is sharp as a razor. He can still be reached at the General Boats website. I understand that Roger McGregor, who was friendly with Stan (they both started out selling sailboats in the same era), remembered Stan's Picnic 17, the sailboat that could get on a plane with the big engine, when he came up with the MacGregor 26x. My Picnic is the steering wheel version. It needs a ton of work starting with removing about a decade of tree sap. This boat is for enticing my grandkids to like sailing. I think my more conventional sailboat would bore them to tears. Good luck with your boat, I would love to follow what you are doing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in