2.5 Years of Cruising Assets Cost - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 Old 04-30-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Re: 2.5 Years of Cruising Assets Cost

We have full health insurance. We have ACA plans that are basically free due to the govt subsidy we get. I believe I have a thread here somewhere on it and/or have discussed the rules and how to do it.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruis...hdraw-aca.html

We have full boat insurance.

I don't understand the boat repairs question. Yes we do boat repairs (I do them). I was forced into using a "professional" a few months ago for the first time in 8 years (a rigger). That only cost me around $1000 for someone to screw up my boat for me to later fix.
eherlihy likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don L For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (05-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 05-01-2019

50K a year budget seems like a pretty solid number.

As a numbers guy, I would love to see a breakdown (repairs, fuel, food, maintenance, etc.)

Kudos for keeping a record and sharing it. I would like to see more of this sort of thing so people looking to cruise have realistic expectations.
post #23 of 40 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post

As a numbers guy, I would love to see a breakdown (repairs, fuel, food, maintenance, etc.)
all you would have to do is read the budget threads I post every month
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 40 Old 05-02-2019

We figured 4% ROI as an average. 40% loss of initial purchase price when we swallow the anchor. 10% of initial boat cost per year for ALL boat costs (clearance, importing, insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs). Figured being unable to cruise (not just sail) at age 75 so will sell then. Other than investment money and SS have no money coming in. Big hit has been first three years has started with a new boat so have deprecated it in accordance to actual selling prices of sister ships. Still, remain on target so possibility of switching to a kady krogan or norhavn remains open. We ave built a house this year which has screwed up the budget but the boat hasnít been an issue.
Whatís been interesting is when cruising down here or on passage given you anchor not moor or use slips so running a big boat is about the same cost as small (in the 40-60í range). Itís the land and itís edges where boat costs are more size dependent.
Whereas I was previously a performance maniac whe cruising most times itís irrelevant. Wife likes a flat boat. I reef until itís flat enough and mostly sail in the 6-7kt range because of that. So when thinking about cruising costs first step is where. He is paying more for being in a slip at times but less for chandlery items and clearance. He is spot on saying everyoneís costs are going to be different.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #25 of 40 Old 05-02-2019

Good benchmark kind of real world numbers. I think many sailors aspire to cruise for less. Perhaps on as little as 1 to 2k per month. Is it feasible? On smaller boats obviously, but I would say yes. Just would love to get some comparative data in this thread that shows how different boats and different circumstances can provide opportunities for sailors that may not have or need financial resources at this level. I don't, and I'm not ready to go just yet, but I hope to be a part of the cruising community even with quite modest resources. I had a mug when I was working on my PhD. No Condo. No MBA. No BMW. I couldn't really afford the mug at the time, but I still got out on the water any way I could! Hope to hear some different perspectives.
post #26 of 40 Old 05-02-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieray View Post
Good benchmark kind of real world numbers. I think many sailors aspire to cruise for less. Perhaps on as little as 1 to 2k per month. Is it feasible? On smaller boats obviously, but I would say yes. Just would love to get some comparative data in this thread that shows how different boats and different circumstances can provide opportunities for sailors that may not have or need financial resources at this level. I don't, and I'm not ready to go just yet, but I hope to be a part of the cruising community even with quite modest resources. I had a mug when I was working on my PhD. No Condo. No MBA. No BMW. I couldn't really afford the mug at the time, but I still got out on the water any way I could! Hope to hear some different perspectives.
We (two adults) live on ~$22,000 CND per year, which translates into about $17,000 USD. I know this b/c this is the totality of our income. Our cruising consists of about 6 months on the boat and 6 months doing other things. This is due to the fact that weíve decided to stay in Canada for now (busy exploring Newfoundland). Itís hard to live on a boat in the winter on the east coast.

If/when we sail south we will live and cruise on our boat 12 months of the year. Our budget will be the same, so this is what we will spend.

I donít offer this to challenge in any way Donís numbers or choices. The fact is, if I had more money, Iíd probably spend more. But I donít, so I donít. Life is still fun and interesting.

So yes, it is possible to live and cruise for $1k to $2k per month. In fact, some do it a lot cheaper than we. It all comes down to choices and consequences.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (05-03-2019)
post #27 of 40 Old 05-03-2019

I wouldn't count on your budget staying the same once you start cruising full-time, and in the tropics, unless the money you spend now on your time off the boat is more than what you spend on it. Boat maintenance ramps up considerably, particularly since you may start to do this at the same time as most boats require a bit of refresh. The cost of living also goes up when you are in less convenient places, with no steady transportation, no Amazon, no Walmart, etc.

But for sure, there is a wide economic range one can cruise in. No different on land.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #28 of 40 Old 05-03-2019

Some interesting comments here. My observations on this and similar threads on cruising costs is that the big variables are what you spend ashore, particularly eating out and staying in marinas. Decide to avoid restaurants and anchor out and the costs go way down.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #29 of 40 Old 05-03-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I wouldn't count on your budget staying the same once you start cruising full-time, and in the tropics, unless the money you spend now on your time off the boat is more than what you spend on it.
I spend more off the boat than on. We’ve been living like this since 2014. In fact, one of the reasons we are shifting to more boat time is to further reduce living expenses.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #30 of 40 Old 05-03-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
. Decide to avoid restaurants and anchor out and the costs go way down.
A review of my 2.5 years of cost spreadsheet suggests marinas and eating out are not the budget busters. It's the BOAT!

A further review of my costs compared to where I traveled to suggests that moving (cruising) greatly increases costs no matter what you do.

If you really want low costs the thing to do is rarely move the boat, anchor somewhere not near town, have no internet, don't get sick or hurt.

But the most important thing to remember is - the budget/cost is not a competition between cruisers. It's just something most have to pay attention to stay in their overall pan.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in