London to Cherbourg France - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: London to Cherbourg France

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
You have lots of time. Check out Bayeux and the "tapestry". Great story. Boats! Also, in Honfleur, along with the harbor, the 15th century St. Catherine's church has a roof that was built like two upside-down hulls. The Bishop hired boatbuilders to finish it since the carpenters went on strike. Caen is where the Tower of London's stone came from. William the Conqueror's castle is still there, despite Allied bombing in WWII. Beware of Calvados!
Ahh.....the apple brandy....
The food on the region is to die for
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Nice Mark. I think you have about a month before the D-Day presentation? What's on the itinerary? Cycling? Bussing up to see the Notre Dame Cathedral? Inquiring minds want to know
There's some good workshops here incl Benetea dealer and a Yanmar dealer (I have a new 57ho common rail that I want the 200 hour service done... Tightens the bits the factory forgot to tighten ;}) and a few odd jobs.
Around here is a very pretty little city with excellent restaurants and a ready made group of new friends... They have an English speaking club where French locals drag English speakers to the pub to practise conversation. As us well known, the French lag behind the rest of Europe by their remarkable lack of English. Last night I went to dinner with 4 bright young people. They have about 50 active members so I think I will have lots of playmates.

Bastile Day June 4th(?)

Tourism here, D-Day 5th and 6th of June... Yes and 'that' speaking engagement in the American Cemetary. Certainly will be exciting for me as I have seen Trump speak before and he's a great orator. Although I think it will be a very commemorative speach he will just have popped out of Tea & Scones with the Queen in England... And Mrs May, so there could be hints of a post Brexit UK/US trade deal (the US currently being excluded from most EU trade).

The rent-a-car prices are pretty cheap and a tent is nigh on free... So after D-Day it's off into the lesser known hinterland of France to drink wine and snort cheese before their summer holidays.

Oh and a week in Paris in late May.

Not at all well planned yet, but one thing I have learned: there's moments in history that occur occasionally. Be at them! And countries National Day too.
D-Day is one of those days one would be a fool not to be there if they could. Bastille Day... Well, where's the f'ing Bastille? I can get there! I can party with the French on their National day at the place the Revolution started. Incroyable! Fantastique!

My boat is the transport, accommodation and budget restaurant that allows my tourism.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #13 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Great update. Have an outstanding time. I was last in Paris, when I was 19 years old. Alone, with zero plans, no hotel reservation, nothing. Connected with a French Canadian I met on the bus over from London. Epic time.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Bastile Day June 4th(?)

Off by a good month: quatorze juillet...
fallard and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #15 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Off by a good month: quatorze juillet...
Ahhh, good!
That week is getting very busy.
Me and an American cruiser are booking a helicopter ride over Omaha Beach that day.... And 5th is watching parachute drops from DC3s...
RegisteredUser likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

post #16 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I went to the 50th anniversary. Was only there for the weekend, but was a great time.

There will be a lot fewer of the original participants at this one, I'm afraid. Still an occasion worthy of noting.
post #17 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago
1968 Columbia 50

I've never been to the beaches of Normandy, my grandfather was in the original "tour group" as a medic, he never spoke about it, ever. I cannot imagine what he saw during the war. I trust you will find your time quite a bit more enjoyable...I wish I could be there.

Enjoy your time in the area, I have never been to that part of France, it's on my bucket list.

S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #18 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I spent a year studying in Caen - a bicycle ride to Arromanches, Pegasus Bridge, Dives sur Mer... pillboxes still there with their guns pointed out to sea, but dismounted. Trenches, bomb craters, "Mulberries"- concrete cassions three stories high- littering the beach, testifying to the Allied will. The American Cemetery in Colleville s/Mer is a stunning tribute (one of a string of American cemeteries in France) to those who gave their lives for our beliefs.

My father was a battalion surgeon in the 10th Mountain Division in Italy, replacing a doctor who was captured by the Germans. His job was determining who needed to be - and could be - sent back to the M.A.S.H. and patching everyone else up so they could keep fighting. No helicopters for transport then. He didn't discuss it much.
MarkofSeaLife and oysterman23 like this.
post #19 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hope you got to see the Hermione while she was in Cherbourg:
post #20 of 23 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Hope you got to see the Hermione while she was in Cherbourg:

SEE IT??????????????????????? The mugs ATTACKED me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was such a cowardly surprise attack that by the time I jumped on deck and started returning fire with my flare gun they had done a whole 12 gun broadside!

paulk, Minnesail and tempest like this.

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in