Crazy first time on my sailboat .... part 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

Crazy first time on my sailboat .... part 2

I finally had a few warm days in a row and I was able to get in the boat and check out what caused the water filling the cabin.

This was a long thread back in November of last year. I mentioned putting some pictures up when I got a chance to get inside.

This was a PITA to get inside and remove the cracked hoses. Cheap flexible plastic hoses that gave up the ghost long ago.

This is a trailer sailor, that I may keep in a slip or moored near my house in a fresh water lake.

It's a project boat and my learning on boat.

I'm prepared to hear about needing new brass through hull fittings, replacing all plastic. Possibly complete new fiberglass work to the entire hull, along with the dreaded foam treatment inside.

I'm thinking using a thicker walled fuel type rubber hose and double clamped stainless hose clamps to make the connections before testing float worthy ability.

Flame suit on and shields up .... here goes .....

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
culprit 1.jpg   culprit 2.jpg   looking into aft access 1.jpg   the ugly.jpg   aftermath of hoses 1.jpg  

chall03, Damon Gannon and Whalerus like this.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-01-2019

Re: Crazy first time on my sailboat .... part 2

Cool
post #3 of 12 Old 05-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePNJ View Post

Mike
Whalerus learning to type.
Been calling my protective coveralls a Bunny suit. Flame suit is a way cooler term.
MikePNJ likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-01-2019

Dock

Check this out for hose choices:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...g-Marine-Hoses

Definately yes on doubled up SS hose clamps.

If your thru hulls are damaged or you just feel better replacing them, nylon fittings are sufficient. Brass or bronze will cost more and and are, of course, more durable. But it's not like you're getting her ready for a circumnavigation. Balance the perfect/good enough equation.

In the various pictures from this and the last thread it looks like you have a mixture of SS and galvanized nuts, bolts, and washers. I'd replace everything with SS.

And no kids on the shakedown!
MikePNJ likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-01-2019

No brass. Bronze or plastic like Marelon for below the waterline. As has been stated, inexpensive nylon is OK above the waterline. Same goes for hose - some are fine for above the waterline but not for below. No need to spend a fortune on a bronze fitting and expensive hose for an above waterline connection on a trailer-sailor.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 12 Old 05-01-2019

Yeah, don't spend a fortune on bronze. My first boat project was to replace a thru-hull and I massively overdid it and went bronze. If I did it again I'd go Marelon.

Notes on a thru-hull replacement

But my guess is that the thru-hulls are fine, they probably just need new hoses and hose clamps. As you said, you're not crossing oceans.
MikePNJ likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Yeah I need to order the hose. I'm not changing the through hull fittings if I don't need to at this time.

It's only about 4 feet total of 1 inch ID hose so I will use what's best there. I picked up the stainless clamps.

Also looking to replace the running rigging. I've replaced half of the standing rigging, and looking at fixing the deck/hull joint seal issue with 3M 5200. I have to remove the old bottom paint also. Many projects in store, debating the order of importance.

Hoping to get that hose in soon and see how it sits in the water. New wheels going on the trailer and winch this weekend.

Ahh the joys of boat ownership!
Minnesail likes this.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-02-2019

Is the current thru-hull fitting cracked or looking like it's within an inch of it's life. Obviously the split hose was your problem. Get some proper below waterline rated hose, double clamp and go sailing. If the thru-hull needs to be replaced, that looks fairly easy too.

Did not follow why you think you might need new fiberglass work to the entire hull.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter

I was being facetious on my initial post. Not going to fiberglass the hull. I was getting lots of best practice advice previously as if I was crossing an ocean. I had just finished reading a thread on the reasons for tinned wire and thought I was going to get hit with a list of things wrong with the boat before I should ever put it back in the water.

I just want it to be sound, not take in water and enjoy learning to sail. I have a few things to straighten out before my drop it in water testing.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

post #10 of 12 Old 05-02-2019
SeŮor Member

OK, hoses is one thing, but have you evaluated the through hulls? Do you know if they are original equipment? They are just as old as the hoses were...

You need to be prepared with a plan should the same/similar thing happen while you are in the middle of the lake...

Normal prep would be to have a wooden plug (or the Forespar foam equivalent) tied to the through hull so that it is there when you need it. My question is - can you get to it in an emergency? It looks pretty awkward. Otherwise you'd need to swim and plug it from the outside.

Last edited by ottos; 05-02-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in