Oven doesn't get to tempurature - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Oven doesn't get to tempurature

Whether to have or replace or remove the solenoid is a matter of philosophy, really.

Personally I try to follow the school of engineering that says yes, you really can idiot-proof most things. You CAN design equipment which makes certain failure modes impossible.

Others would say that's a waste of time and money, the user needs to take some responsibility and just not do dumb things.

Consider, when we get off a boat, we turn the Big Red Switch and generally kill power to everything. But when we leave the home...everything is still powered up, and appliance failures (especially refrigerators apparently) and wall wart failures cause an incredible number of fires. Then again a fellow I know has a winter home which is off grid, they literally throw the kill switch on the generator and the entire home is powered down when they leave--for any reason.

A solenoid really is a total waste of time and money, IF the owner can swear they will never be tired or distracted or rushed and they will always manually turn the gas off promptly when they are done cooking.

I know folks who leave their home and then turn around to come back to check that they've locked the front door. Or they use spring-loaded latches that always lock the door when it is closed. I don't do that...I was a city kid, and we never, ever, left a front door unlocked behind us. I don't have to ask--it is muscle memory.

Gas lines? Eh, I want the solenoid. I hate loud noises, especially if I'm in the middle of one.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
bshock (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks all, I do indeed turn off the valve at the tank every time we finish cooking. It can be a pain, particularly when it's nasty outside, but it's the price we pay.

And to answer Minnewaska's question, the oven has ALWAYS performed like this since we bought the boat five or six years ago. Generally we just cook on the stove top (easy stuff, hot dogs, stir fry, etc...) but we have used the oven a few times for tater tots, tried to make cookies, with not great success due to the low temperature in the oven.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas and contributions. I'll go through this list of things to check and will hopefully report back after this weekend a story of success.
post #13 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

bshock-
One other option is to bake the way folks without an oven do. Buy a dutch oven, preferably a heavy cast iron iron, and put a spacer inside on the bottom. This can be a disposable aluminum foil baking pan turned upside down and perforated around the sides, if you can't find a dutch oven with a proper inner piece.
Either way...marine range tops usually have one larger burner (8-9,000 btu) and all the rest smaller (6500?) so they will cook unevenly if you put the dutch oven over two of them, unless it is heavy, i.e. cast iron. But you can bake bread and cakes and cookies in one, just in case you decide your oven needs a timeout and you still want to bake.
The whole business of boat stoves having one burner which would count as inadequate power even on a Coleman camping stove, and the other burners just there to keep sauce warm...Surely Aga or Viking must make a proper marine stove, right?!

post #14 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

A solenoid valve that allows gas to flow when it is not energized is almost certainly going to cause a restriction. Your first step is to replace it. (Assuming it is not just installed backwards, which would cause it to pass gas when de-energized)

You could get rid of the solenoid, but I believe it is a requirement in North America, so you may fail a survey or coast guard safety inspection without it. But why WOULD you get rid of it? They are not expensive, and they add an extra level of safety and convenience.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #15 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
But why WOULD you get rid of it? k

Because it's electrical.

If you are at sea... I do long passages... And the electrics go bung suddenly you can't have quality food, hot beverages. Many boats can't dip for freshwater from their tanks not do they have manual fresh water pumps. Some don't have manual toilets.

On a catastrophic electrical problem suddenly you're in deep trouble.

If the law says you must, you must.,... But on my boat I take the risk as I see it. I'd rather food and water than a gas solinoid

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Because it's electrical.

If you are at sea... I do long passages... And the electrics go bung suddenly you can't have quality food, hot beverages. Many boats can't dip for freshwater from their tanks not do they have manual fresh water pumps. Some don't have manual toilets.

On a catastrophic electrical problem suddenly you're in deep trouble.

If the law says you must, you must.,... But on my boat I take the risk as I see it. I'd rather food and water than a gas solinoid
I have a spare solenoid. Simple. Also wrenches, so if electrics go out I can delete the solenoid.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #17 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

The oven on my boat has 8,000 btu burners, but only 6,000 btus for the whole oven. That's according to the manufacturer's specs. It also takes forever to heat up and never gets that hot. Maybe that's just how your oven is?

Concerning the blockage theory. as a simple test for gas flow, turn one burner on. Then another, then the third. First burner still burning the same? Good, there's no restriction.

If the gas will supply 24,000 btus for the burners, I don't think it will baulk at providing 6,000 btus for the oven.
Uncle Bob the 1st likes this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #18 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Is the inner front glass there?

The rubber door seal?

I am just cleaning my oven and took out the inner glass of the front door to try to clean the gunk off it. Even oven cleaner won't touch it ... So... I'm rubbing hard when my brain goes "wow, dopey, rub too hard and this glass will break and you'll never find the replacement".

Can you download the parts list and ensure you have all the bits specified?

Mark
chef2sail likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #19 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Because it's electrical....... I'd rather food and water than a gas solinoid
In the event of a failure that prevented access to gas, it shouldn't be too hard to remove the solenoid underway. I'd rather have it doing it's safety job the other 99%+ of the time. Your boat, your call, of course.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 1 Week Ago at 07:58 AM.
post #20 of 42 Old 1 Week Ago

Our ENO four burner has an oven control, but it doesn't work like a thermostat. Rather, it only seems to adjust flame height, like the stove top. Regulating temperature is a PITA. I have to prewarm the oven, with an internal temperature gauge and try to find a flame height that is close to what I want. If anything, our oven routinely gets way too hot. If I bake, I have to monitor temperature every few minutes.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in