Oven doesn't get to tempurature - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 05-09-2019

Re: Oven doesn't get to tempurature

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Because it's electrical.

If you are at sea... I do long passages... And the electrics go bung suddenly you can't have quality food, hot beverages. Many boats can't dip for freshwater from their tanks not do they have manual fresh water pumps. Some don't have manual toilets.

On a catastrophic electrical problem suddenly you're in deep trouble.

If the law says you must, you must.,... But on my boat I take the risk as I see it. I'd rather food and water than a gas solinoid
I suppose you have a point, however I would argue that bypassing a solenoid is not difficult to do for anyone with even rudimentary tools and technical ability. If one was really worried about it, you can buy a permanent magnet designed to open solenoids, and keep it in your tool kit for just such an eventuality. (Heck, they are handy for magnetizing screwdrivers too!)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 05-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenier View Post
You only have two boats, Oh you poor man.
No, no. If you have one boat, you are a poor man. Two boats makes one an insane man.

And very, very poor.

You sound like someone who really needs a very nice 42' catamaran fully equipped for cruising with new rigging, new sails, electronics, the whole shebang.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #33 of 47 Old 05-10-2019
Owner 1973 C-41 Sloop

Send a message via AIM to riggy001 Send a message via Yahoo to riggy001

BWAHHH! No swizzle stick! (rhymes with something that is syn for "turd")! LOL! ROFL LMAO! THAT is because the US Govt mandated so much crap that it is NOT POSSIBLE to conform to ALL the regulations -- I even forgot the topic! I just ignore the government. Let them find me.
Read the gov advisos, see if it makes sense, (and most times it does (like "do not exceed 28 PSI with 8mm LPG hose with a hand made fitting, or 32 PSI with the same hose and a machine fitting").
Oh, and the ABYC Standard for having a solenoid switch in the galley is merely for keeping tards safe from themselves.
To be safe, if the gas is not turned off at the bottle, and there is no solenoid but the stove has a leak--even a tiny one--the LP goes into the bilge and is just as flammable as if it were on the stovetop. So, I would opt to have a solenoid for that reason alone. Red switch on = stove/oven enabled! I can deal with that! I just do not think GOVERNMENT has the RIGHT to DICTATE that I DO THAT! I just think, as I laid out the pros and cons, what happens if you do and what could happen if you don't, that it should be up to the individual to decide what to do.

When I install my gas system, I will have a solenoid.

Meantime, I have a solenoidless Cassette-Feu gas burner! And a microwave!

"So if I make instant coffee in a microwave oven, will I go back in time?" --Steven Wright.

post #34 of 47 Old 05-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy001 View Post
...the LP goes into the bilge and is just as flammable as if it were on the stovetop.
Actually, while I do not suggest anyone get cavalier with leaking propane, it requires a fairly specific gas/air mixture to be flammable. Ever try to start a BBQ with the gas running and it won't light? The stove top is designed for this mixture. Gas in the bilge may or may not be at this mixture and that's essentially impossible to know. Therefore, keep it out of the bilge. Just picking nits that it isn't necessarily just as flammable.

Quote:
So, I would opt to have a solenoid for that reason alone. Red switch on = stove/oven enabled!
As I think I mentioned above, I think it's more important to know the solenoid can successfully shut the gas off. You'll know it's open, if you can get the stove lit. I want to see a lit stove go out each time, when I flip the solenoid breaker. Then I have less of a concern over closing the tank valve.

Our breaker for the solenoid is above the nav station on the other side of the salon. I changed the breaker to be Red, so it's quickly identifiable, in the event of a fire. I also think it's stupid to have it right in the galley, where flames may drive you out, before getting to the switch. When I shut down the gas, I leave the burner on, walk across to flip the breaker and look back to see the burner extinguish. Then I return and shut off the burner control knob.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #35 of 47 Old 05-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Actually, while I do not suggest anyone get cavalier with leaking propane, it requires a fairly specific gas/air mixture to be flammable. Ever try to start a BBQ with the gas running and it won't light?
It would take a stout heart to test for gas in the bilge with an open flame, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
When I shut down the gas, I leave the burner on, walk across to flip the breaker and look back to see the burner extinguish. Then I return and shut off the burner control knob.
We use that exact process. The solenoid is a great way to avoid going out the back on a filthy night to shut the gas off. I wouldnt be without one to the extent that I have a spare in the parts locker.

Our cooker is a thirty year old Force 10 four burner with oven and grill. None of the peizo lighters work anymore and all the knob labels have long since been polished off but she still works great and bakes a decent loaf. If an oven cant develop enough heat to bake bread, it must be faulty - surely no manufacturer would spec an oven that cant bake bread. And IMHO, its not the solenoid, if the top burners work OK then the solenoid is OK.
post #36 of 47 Old 05-12-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

" it requires a fairly specific gas/air mixture to be flammable. "
Funny thing about air:fuel mixtures. Or the way you can extinguish a lit match by throwing it into a bowl of gasoline. ("Kids, don't try that at home.")
At a high school homecoming bonfire, someone who was responsible for it apparently spread five-ish gallons of something on the wood pile around noon. And late in the afternoon, someone else did the same thing, again, for some reason. Not knowing it had already been done.
Around 7pm the fireball was about six stories tall, threw many things including an old chair a good fifty yards and hit someone when it came down. They couldn't have made a better fuel:air bomb if they'd been trying to.
Funny stuff, explosive gases. And when you consider, one gallon of petrol and much less diesel, properly vaporized and exploded many times, can move a 4000 car twenty miles...Just like the ocean, you've got to give it some respect. Or fear, either one may keep you alive.

Those piezo igniters? Wonderful concept. Maybe there's a barbeque engineer among us who can explain why they inevitably fail within a year. (Living next to an open flame probably has something to do with it?(G)
post #37 of 47 Old 05-12-2019

Dock

5 gallons!?
Twice!!??

When I was in the army I used a flame thrower once. I think it held about 2 gallons of gasoline.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #38 of 47 Old 05-12-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Back then, the details never got out. It was bad enough that two faculty had somehow turned a rather large bonfire into a good bomb, we could only guess they had each borrowed "gas" cans from the grounds keeping crew. Which spent a long breeze-less Indian Summer afternoon vaporizing over the wood.

I doubt they could have done as well IF they knew what they were doing.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #39 of 47 Old 05-12-2019

I digress but FYI, in my experience the best fuel to safely start a bonfire is mineral turpentine - low evaporation rate so lights slowly but once lit, doesnt go out.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #40 of 47 Old 05-12-2019

Flame throwers....ive always wanted one.
Natural chain....comes after chainsaw

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in