SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Oven doesn't get to tempurature (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/329518-oven-doesnt-get-tempurature.html)

bshock 05-05-2019 06:44 PM

Oven doesn't get to tempurature

Hi folks, my boat is a 2000 Beneteau 361, and I've always just weekend'ed on the boat, using the oven only a handful of times. The range/oven is a First Wave model, and it won't get above 325 degrees, and it takes more than a half hour to get to that temperature. I'm assuming this isn't normal, but I've never had a boat oven before. Any ideas on how to improve this, or do I just need a new range/oven?

Any insight/advice is greatly appreciated! :)

chef2sail 05-05-2019 07:15 PM

Re: Oven doesn't get to tempurature

Thermostat is damaged...replace i

chicory83 05-05-2019 07:48 PM

Does the cycle on and off or does it heat continuously? Do the burners on the range give a good, strong consistent flame that remains over time or is it weak or dies off over time.

If the oven is cycling then the thermostat is likely the problem as noted above.

If the oven is not cycling, then this is more likely a gas flow problem. This could be due to a defective regulator or solenoid. (or just not having the valve on the tank open all the way!:^)

RegisteredUser 05-05-2019 07:59 PM

Poke and clean the orifices first...then fire it up.
If stovetop is ok youre prob ok on the regulator.
Then thermo

bshock 05-06-2019 09:25 AM

Thanks all, I should have mentioned the stove top burners work just fine. That how we've been cooking all this time. It doesn't appear as though the oven cycles on and off, it just heats continuously, but even with the oven knob turned completely to high, it takes forever to get hot, and never above about 325. The flames from the stove top burners are comparable to a house gas stove top, meaning nice big flame at full bast. The oven flame, on the other hand, I would compare to a flame about half (or less) the size of one of the stove-top burners (at full blast). Oh, and I always have the tank valve completely open.

One thing to note, and not sure if this would be an issue, when I bought the boat five or six years ago, the PO told me the solenoid at the tank didn't work, so he just opened the valve at the tank whenever he needed to cook. that's what I've been doing too, and have never replaced that solenoid.

I'll poke around the oven a bit this coming weekend, to see if I can unblock any blockages. :)

MarkofSeaLife 05-06-2019 09:39 AM

Solinoids are a joke and only on American boats because you lot need to be kept in cotton wool incase you stub your toe.
Get rid of it.

Ovens don't last forever as the metal heated rusts.

To get the oven burner ring out may be impossible due to age. Ditto thermocouples.

A new oven is approx $1,000if you go for a new oven it's *Vital* to get the exact same model or it won't fit the damn hole.

Beneteau usually use Eno stoves (Italian) and you may find there fit your hole.
And don't get the in oven griller if you do a lot of baking as it takes up a fair bit of oven space... Though I would love one.

For a live-aboard a good oven is bliss.

Mark

svHyLyte 05-06-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshock (Post 2051600346)
Thanks all, I should have mentioned the stove top burners work just fine. That how we've been cooking all this time. It doesn't appear as though the oven cycles on and off, it just heats continuously, but even with the oven knob turned completely to high, it takes forever to get hot, and never above about 325. The flames from the stove top burners are comparable to a house gas stove top, meaning nice big flame at full bast. The oven flame, on the other hand, I would compare to a flame about half (or less) the size of one of the stove-top burners (at full blast). Oh, and I always have the tank valve completely open.

One thing to note, and not sure if this would be an issue, when I bought the boat five or six years ago, the PO told me the solenoid at the tank didn't work, so he just opened the valve at the tank whenever he needed to cook. that's what I've been doing too, and have never replaced that solenoid.

I'll poke around the oven a bit this coming weekend, to see if I can unblock any blockages. :)

First and foremost, not having a functional solenoid activated through a gas "sniffer"/detector is extremely dangerous. A relatively minor leak that can be picked up by a fume detector before your bilge fills with propane (the gas being heavier than air) can save your life and, at least, your boat. Turning the propane tank main valve off when you don't need gas for cooking is wise, with or without the solenoid functioning but doing without the solenoid is foolishly dangerous.

Beyond the foregoing, the low flame level in the oven point to either obstructed "jets" or an obstruction in the airflow/mixer at the burner. Both need be cleaned out thoroughly. There is also a gas shut-off valve at the burned such that, unless the burner is functioning properly and quit hot, the valve will not remain open (to avoid gas leakage). Yours may be dirty or malfunctioning and should be cleaned and inspected by a knowledgeable gas service technician. It is not a job for an amateur. Lastly, boat ovens are notoriously under insulated as a consequence of their size so they tend to loose heat easily (and in consequence heat up the boat). You can partially off-set this tendency by the addition of a large "baking stone" to the bottom of the oven which can be cut to size from a large pizza baking stone. The stone captures and holds the heat and tends to stabilize the temperature in the oven. An added benefit is that the weight helps stabilize a gimbled oven in a seaway.

FWIW...

hellosailor 05-06-2019 05:00 PM

On the one hand, no one ever got scalded by cold food.

But if you insist on living dangerously...You can try to find a professional to come out to the boat. Good luck on that.

Which leaves DIY troubleshooting, sequentially. Divide and Conquer.

First, replace or remove the solenoid. Your choice, I'd say replace it but either way, you know it is defective so it COULD be causing a restriction in the supply, and if it IS defective, there's nothing to lose by getting rid of it. That would be a first step (fix or remove) in the process of working through the possible problems.

Second step would be to access, to remove if possible, the oven gas jets. Whatever the entire assembly is, remove it. Make sure it is not clogged (spiders nest in them, rust forms in them, all sorts of unlikely things) and make sure it is not rusted or flaking. Also try to check the part number it there is one. It is unlikely but POSSIBLE that at some time a prior owner substituted a jet set designed for butane or CNG instead of propane, and having the wrong jets would mean it never would get to the right temperature. If there's a visible completely BLUE flame from all burners including the oven, it probably is the right propane part--but remove it and check that it is clean and clear.

Which leaves the thermostat, and that's probably impossible for you to test or check, beyond simply replacing it. That would be the most likely but last thing to do.

Divide and conquer. Assume nothing, because previous owners may have done anything.

Minnewaska 05-06-2019 05:17 PM

My first bet is the burner. Plugged or not adjusted properly for optimal flame. You said you used it a few times, is this a recent isssue or did it always act this way?

Im surprised anyone would push back on the use of a solenoid. Maybe is was some down under humor that slipped by. I didnt follow the cotton wool thing either. Our procedure to shut off the stove/oven is to leave the burner on and flip the solenoid breaker, then watch the flame dissipate. This way, we know the solenoid works. Then we turn off the knob at the stove. It would be best to go shut the tank down, but we only do that for extended periods, as weve confirmed the solenoid. Its a fail safe device, which requires power to open, so I dont see how it would accidentally open up again.

chicory83 05-06-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshock (Post 2051600346)

I tend to agree with hellosailor

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 2051600422)
First, replace or remove the solenoid. Your choice, I'd say replace it but either way, you know it is defective so it COULD be causing a restriction in the supply, and if it IS defective, there's nothing to lose by getting rid of it. That would be a first step (fix or remove) in the process of working through the possible problems.

It doesn't sound like you removed the old solenoid. If gas is flowing and the solenoid is not activated then it is very likely that it is stuck in a partially open position and is restricting your gas flow. Just for fun you could also try activating the solenoid. If the PO stopped using it because it never closed properly it might still be possible to power it up and get it to open further or all the way. You might even try tapping it gently while it is activated. It might not work, but it would be a very quick and painless test to do. Flip a switch light the stove and if it burns better you know what the problem is. If nothing changes then you wasted two minutes. Either way, please replace the solenoid.