Catalina 27 - bow cleats strong enough for mooring? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RainDog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Catalina 27 - bow cleats strong enough for mooring?

Hi All-

I am a new owner of a Catalina 27. I will be having it on a mooring this summer in moderately protected waters....we can get a blow and I am concerned that the bow cleats are woefully inadequate for mooring (although they seem fine for a dock). The are held on with 1/4in bolts without backing plates!

Two questions:
-anyone out there have experience mooring a Catalina 27 on these cleats?
-has anyone put a larger/stronger cleat (with a backing plate) on the foredeck? (this is an option I am considering)

thanks
Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Catalina 27 - bow cleats strong enough for mooring?

I vaguely remember reading a thread about this a while back. IIRC this is a fairly common upgrade on Catalinas, but I have no real personal experience with this boat. There are a number of Catalina owners associations you may get a more knowledgeable response if you ask in one of them. For what it is worth adding backing plates is a relatively simple and inexpensive job if you have good access to the underside of the cleats. The fact that you are asking the question probably means that the cost and the time are probably well worth the peace of mind you will get if you do the job.
post #3 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago

I'd be more concerned about the backing plate than the clear itself.

post #4 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago

It would not hurt at all to do it. I think the cleats themselves on mine were strong enough, but the way they were attached was not all that good. I did anchor it using the bow cleats but never in a really bad storm. BTW, I think you will find that the undersurface of the foredeck is quite irregular. I used fiberglass resin with chopped fibers (Dynaglass?) to give the backing plate a flat surface to rest against whenever I had to back something up (winches, anchor rollers, etc.).
post #5 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago

We have a mid 1970s C27. The deck around the bow cleats seems solid (no backing plates though). We moored the boat for 3 years on a river in the upper Chesapeake Bay. The only relevant incident was a very strong wind storm that resulted in our boat dragging its mooring 500yds up the river. We came out to sail and found the boat missing! It was in a marina slip after they rescued it (fortunately it didnít hit any other boats in the mooring field).

The real answer is that I have no idea if the cleats are strong enough. I bought backing plates online but never put them on because we are now in a slip.
post #6 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
Not Finished Yet

I had a mid-1980's Catalina 27. The cleats had small bolts and no backing plates. Not even washers.

Over the course of the few years I owned the boat the wakes in my marina started to deform the fiberglass around the bolts. I just added washers to the back of the cleats and the seemed to fix the problem. A better solution (if you had the room for it) would be to replace the cleats with larger cleats with larger bolts and backing plates. Just make sure if you go through the plywood you seal it properly.

At a minimum, add fender washers to the back of the bolts if they are not already there.
jephotog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in