Jack Lines - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 05-08-2019
Administrator

Re: Jack Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I would assume that you add an eye to the 1" webbing by having the eye professionally sown by a company who is certified to do that kind of structural sewing....
Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Does this exist? In a practical sense, not really.

In a former life I manufactured climbing gear, and generally, we are talking self-certifications though ISO (6 sigma break testing program). That's it and many are not. Realistically, a sailmaker will do it. You will also need to source the correct webbing, which is a problem.

You are right that the Dyneema approach is probably best for DIYs. Fewer question marks and a solid finished product.
I don't know whether its true that companies that are certified to do that kind of structural sewing exists, but I see 'OSHA' certified safety harnesses and tethers and so I have always assumed that there are companies that are certified to do structural stitching. That said, I have no idea if that is actually the case.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-08-2019 Thread Starter

With all due respect... I do not need a system designed to 5000# load... static or dynamic. This WAY more than the force of a 200# human be tossed my boat motion from a wave.

Stretch? I how much stretch will a 25' line loaded when a person is tossed by a wave? Another nonsense concept. Actually a little shock absorption is not a bad idea!

I will keep the vinyl coated wire jack lines as back up.... so I am not concerned about being with no jack lines.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 05-08-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #33 of 38 Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
With all due respect... I do not need a system designed to 5000# load... static or dynamic. This WAY more than the force of a 200# human be tossed my boat motion from a wave.

Stretch? I how much stretch will a 25' line loaded when a person is tossed by a wave? Another nonsense concept. Actually a little shock absorption is not a bad idea!

I will keep the vinyl coated wire jack lines as back up.... so I am not concerned about being with no jack lines.
* Safety Factor. Your anchor chain has a safety factor. Your shrouds have a safety factor. For safety critical applications a 10:1 safety factor is common, depending on the materials.
* Wear.
* Dynamic forces. If you cannot calculate it or measure, then you guess, I assume.
* Humans HAVE broken tethers on boats. You can google this. That is the reason the standards were updated to include a drop test. People died. And they weren't 200-pound humans. Most recently a skinny guy died on one of the Clipper Race boats (CV30--google it) because his tether parted; I believe new standards will result, since a clip meeting the last standard failed.

You have declared disrespect for ANSI, ISO, OSHA, ISAF/WS, and UIAA. OK.

I don't always or even often use tethers. But I would not want to have safety gear that was unreliable. That's worse than none, if you have fooled yourself into believing that it is good.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 05-08-2019 at 07:32 PM.

post #34 of 38 Old 05-08-2019 Thread Starter

I have Lirakis harnesses and they are very robust.

I am not contemplating any offshore work in the foreseeable future. And I don't know whether I will do new jack lines or not... but for the use contemplated... 1" dacron will suffice.

Thank you for your concern!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #35 of 38 Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Actually, stretch is one of the things I dislike about our current polyester webbing lines. When they are wet, they get very loose, and when they are in the sun, they get like guitar strings.

On our recent trip from Antigua to Georgia, I just rigged some old dyneema halyards as jacklines and liked that much better. I think I will be replacing the webbing with 1/4" dyneema in the future.

As for shock absorption, there will be enough of that just in the bowstring effect from the unsupported run, as well as the stretchy tether. In addition, one won't be coming up dead short on the jackline, they will also be sliding along it for some distance, which reduces the shock force. But personally, I think the less stretch in the static system the better - the dynamics will be providing the force reduction.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #36 of 38 Old 05-08-2019

Sure.
Tether onto a mast..padeye or side rail and you arent asking how much 'give' that hardware allows.

Good discussion...but north is still north.
post #37 of 38 Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
...Stretch? I how much stretch will a 25' line loaded when a person is tossed by a wave? Another nonsense concept. Actually a little shock absorption is not a bad ....
In testing, as much as 2 feet (PS Magazine). Or you could place a 25' section between two trees, without pretension, and step onto it. The static load will be on the order of 500 pounds and it will sag about 2 feet, depending on the product. Certainly body weight is reasonable. Try it. I have. Any slackliner or tight rope walker know of this. and look how many sailors, like ColeMj, have simply noticed it. Any engineer can check my math; it's high school physics and trig. Nothing complex in the static case.

Why belittle a concept you have not studied and have no personal knowledge of? You can test this for yourself.
SanderO likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #38 of 38 Old 05-08-2019

How bout dem Braves?

Springs wound tight....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in