Maxwell windlass question - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Maxwell windlass question

I recently had a Maxwell RC8-8 (vertical axis) windlass installed on my boat. It seems like a generally good quality item.

In the very center of the windlass is a female winch handle socket, and the windlass comes with a winch handle. The winch handle is used in the socket to disengage the clutch, so one can freewheel the rode down; then one uses the handle to re-engage the clutch, for normal electric operation.

I like the design, BUT ...

At the bottom of the socket is the head of an allen bolt, which is used to hold the windlass together; the head of that bolt naturally domes up, so as to make room for the allen socket.

The problem is that this bolt head makes it impossible to insert the winch handle any further than about 1/4". It is hard to apply significant force (torque) without the handle popping out of the socket.

Does anyone else have this issue? It seems like a very odd design flaw, and one that could have easily been done differently. I can press down with the heel of the other hand, and get by or simple engage/disengage. But for any real control, to moderate the speed of a freewheeling descending rode, the setup is not good; it's too wobbly, not solid.

Thoughts? Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Maxwell windlass question

You might want to contact Maxwell - they are pretty responsive. Your windlass might not be right.

We have a HC10 - the horizontal version of yours, and a larger chainwheel. However, it has the exact same socket clutch and emergency retrieval system as yours.

Ours does not have the issue you describe. But ours also may be slightly different in design, even though it has the same functionality.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Re: Maxwell windlass question

Thanks, Mark. I'll call them.

The handle is hollowed out, as if to fit over the bolt head. But after a point, it is hollowed out less; it is "stepped," I guess you'd say. It's that smaller-diameter part which is preventing it from going down over the head.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in