What do you expect? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: What do you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Don't the boat's polar diagrams answer your question?
Yes, that is the real answer for a particular boat, but most don't have polars available. And most polars are calculated, which are always optimistic.

However, your point is what should be done - use the chartplotter/tablet/computer application to show VMG on a course and tweak around with sail set, wind angles, tacking/jibing, etc.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Curious why your performance DDW is better than a broad reach? Is it because you are wing-wing DDW with better projected sail area?
Exactly. Wing and wing downwind. Sometimes using the two foresails.

A broad reach turns out to be a challenging position for us because of the way our massive main blankets the foresails. I find it hard to maintain much foresail, especially in a rolly sea, on a broad reach.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

I don't use percentages of wind speed because it doesn't work for my boat
As it's quite light it will get close to hull speed easily. Then I keep it there as the wind increases by reefing.

Planning I use 2 speeds 5.5 knots and 6 knots and I find I am a little in front of that every day. Especially during passages I sail conservatively... The last thing I want us breakages. So if I am near hull speed I will back off.

🤪
capta, wymbly1971, tempest and 1 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #14 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

I don't think there is a consistent percentage, not to mention it's speed over ground that matters between X and X, so variable current and wave action matter too.

We just installed new Quantum sails and gave them their first test drive in 11 kts of wind. On the beam, we were making 8.5 kts over the water. Genny is a 150. Best money I've spent on the boat in a long time! I expect I'll be re-establishing my reefing speeds.

Your question reminds me of something my (now grown) kids remind me of, all the time. As kids, I would get the typical (how much longer) question repeatedly. My answer was usually, "about 3 hours". An hour later, they'd ask again and my answer would be "about 3 hours". They now say that everything is 3 hours away, don't ask.

While I had likely tacked more than expected, or found current or head waves I didn't expect, they just came to think I had no idea. That was demonstrably true.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Thanks, all. I was just a shot in the dark. I'm pretty comfortable when I can exceed 50% of apparent wind speed under most conditions, either on a beat or beam reach.
"Schedules are a fool's errand" is a pretty simplistic sentence. ALL of us sail on some kind of schedule. Each and every one of us! We go on a day sail and need to be back at a certain time for one reason or another. Some sail by weather windows and others have guests aboard who have a flight to catch at the end of the voyage. The Commuter cruisers sail on a schedule, so many months sailing and so many months with the grandkids. And if you ever skipper a delivery thinking you aren't on a schedule, that will most likely be your last one.
Folks are just fooling themselves when they say they aren't on a schedule of some sort. Just think of all those day sailors on here who fear being out after dark!
If most cruisers didn't have some sort of schedule, they might be caught in a hurricane or sit in some idyllic bay forever, which would be tantamount to being in some old folks home waiting to die, just with more maintenance.
Arcb likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Just think of all those day sailors on here who fear being out after dark!
Well, it's scary out there

You forgot about lunch! You need to know how much food and bevvies to bring My wife is pretty tolerant of my sailing, but if I didn't bring enough snacks because I packed 3 days worth of food for a 5 day trip, I am pretty sure I would be sailing on my own after that.

I frankly can't imagine heading out on any trip whether it be a day trip or a multi day passage without having at least a rough idea of how long it was going to take.
post #17 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago
Old soul

Yup, we all plan — make plans. Some things are dictated by Momma Nature. Others by Human Nature. And most of us face limitations due to social/economic demands.

We better have a rough idea about when the next provisioning stop will be, otherwise mutiny might follow. And we better not run out of coffee or wine!!!

Within all that though there can be a wide range of plans — no-plans. I like to have very loose plans when we cruise. We usually have a general idea, or perhaps even a destination in mind. But then I try and give ourselves the most possible time to do it in.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #18 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

I think the belief that a schedule is dangerous is one based on insisting on leaving at a given time or date irrespective of impending weather but of course one has an expectation of the duration of a trip/voyage.

On a crossing I budget 150nm a day and generally try to achieve that even if quiet periods mean a little motor sailing. That’s a nudge over 6kn average speed. I’m not one to sit around drifting when the wind goes AWOL. After all, we have to charge batteries or run the water maker now and then.

I try to never beat on a crossing. If I had to develop a polar for my boat it would ignore anything forward of a tight reach. I run a 135% genoa until the wind gets back to the quarter then if AWS is 15kn or less the gennaker goes up.

I met a German fellow cruising many years ago who said that when his decks got wet he knew he was doing it wrong
post #19 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Yup, we all plan — make plans. Some things are dictated by Momma Nature. Others by Human Nature. And most of us face limitations due to social/economic demands.

We better have a rough idea about when the next provisioning stop will be, otherwise mutiny might follow. And we better not run out of coffee or wine!!!

Within all that though there can be a wide range of plans — no-plans. I like to have very loose plans when we cruise. We usually have a general idea, or perhaps even a destination in mind. But then I try and give ourselves the most possible time to do it in.
Is it the air around Newfoundland or is it just coincidence both you and the author of "The Boat that Wouldn't Float" seem to have the same outlook on life? lol
MikeOReilly likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #20 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago
bell ringer

on a beam reach, 5-7 knots after around 12 knots wind because I start reefing down around 6.5 once the first gust takes me to 7+

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in