What do you expect? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 Old 05-15-2019
Old soul

Re: What do you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Is it the air around Newfoundland or is it just coincidence both you and the author of "The Boat that Wouldn't Float" seem to have the same outlook on life? lol
Gotta love Farley .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 05-16-2019

What Sander said. Responses from individuals here (e.g. ARCB) will reflect their boats, and have nothing to do with yours. Having the information might allow you to to figure out which of us to sail in company with if you want to be sure of getting somewhere first. Otherwise, it's like discussing apples and cumquats. On a beam reach most boats are going to get to hull speed fairly easily and their length will determine their speed. Myriad variables (sea state, weights, sail area, hull shape, sail condition, rig...) will affect upwind performance to such a degree that comparisons won't be very meaningful.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-17-2019

I've always though the "no schedule" line was lazy. There are entrances you don't want do at night, tides that can help if used properly, and weather to be outfoxed. I wouldn't leave into foul whether or follow a group, but I do need to know how long a passage will take.

Generally not less than 5 knots. I would probably motor. But it doesn't take much for me to reach 5 knots, and with the reacher I can top wind speed. Even with my cat, I expected a high percentage on many courses. With a little wind, most of my boats would hit 10 knots on any course other than windward. If possible, I adjust my itinerary and schedule to avoid tacking, since VMG is a lot lower, though I don't mind beating.

But over all, door-to-door, I figure on about 6-7 knots. I've done a lot better, and I've done a lot worse.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 05-17-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in