What do you expect? - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Master Mariner

What do you expect?

So often on here and other forums I hear the question; how long from X to X?
For those of us who had our boats a season or two, the answer is pretty simple.
So, on a good day, working sails only, what % of the wind speed would you expect to make, up to around 20/25 knots on a beam reach to a hard beat?
I guess it sounds an odd question, but I'm always trying to increase my performance in relation to wind speed.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 4 Days Ago

Re: What do you expect?

Not quite sure what the question is...
Beating seems slower as wind pipes up as waves slow you down more...
Light conditions and flat seas closer to the wind is a faster point of sail for Shiva... more apparent wind.
Beam and abaft of the beam wants more wind... but the waves seem to be less of a problem.

This is not the answer you want but I can't understand the % thing.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 23 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Master Mariner

OK, I'll try again. Working sails only.
Obviously more wind, less sail to reach an optimum speed. Less wind means more sail to keep that optimum speed. Only works in a beam wind to hard on it. In that "slot" would you expect your boat speed to be around 40, 50, or 60% (or other) of the apparent wind speed? We do our best between 8 knots of wind and 18. After 18 the wind gusts too much to maintain a good average and the seas begin to affect the boat too much.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 23 Old 4 Days Ago

Need to define whether you are talking about apparent or true wind speeds and angles.

An AWA beam reach up to 20kts AWS and we expect ~70% of that wind speed, although we are needing to reef at the higher end.

A beat at 32-35* AWA up to 20kts AWS and we expect ~50% of that wind speed, but again, we are needing to reef at the higher end.

After 20kts apparent, we pretty much keep the same speeds and angles, but are reefed. At 25kts apparent, we are beginning the second reef, and speeds drop to ~50% beam AWA beam reach, and ~30% AWA beating - mostly because the waves are taking their toll.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #5 of 23 Old 4 Days Ago

Is this exercise for planning purposes? When I am voyage planning I assume an unknown wind speed and collect data based on average VMG for the boat in all past conditions. I would typically assume higher VMG for areas of open water vs rivers, creeks and protected waters. I will make adjustments for very favourable conditions vs is unfavourable conditions. On average I assume the following;

Beach Cat 5 knots vmg (seems low but that is a calculated average obver 1000 miles).

Sharpie; 3 3/4 knots. She cooks in light air.

Sailing kayak. 3.2 knots. This is a remarkably stable number. I can almost gaurantee it will take me within an hour either way to cover 32 miles in 10 hours.

Last edited by Arcb; 4 Days Ago at 08:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
MarkofSeaLife (3 Days Ago)
post #6 of 23 Old 4 Days Ago

Schedules are a fool's errand
SanderO likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Schedules are a fool's errand
Um. Its navigation. Time, distance, speed.
post #8 of 23 Old 3 Days Ago
Old soul

I may not fully understand the question, so forgive me if I’ve got this wrong...

(I know you know all this…)

First off, I assume we’re talking apparent wind. Secondly, sea state matters big time. No seas, opposing seas, angled seas or following seas will affect progress.

That said, my boat will usually achieve hull speed on a reach to close-reach, as well as DDW, with 20-25 knots wind. For us this means a bit over 7 knots (theoretical hull speed is around 7.4 knots). I expect to see this anytime wind is around 15+ knots, again depending on sea state.

Close haul and broad reach is where we perform poorer. Here best speed might be around 6 to 6.5 knots.

For planning purposes I usually use a 5 knot average.
SanderO and capta like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #9 of 23 Old 3 Days Ago

Don't the boat's polar diagrams answer your question?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #10 of 23 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
That said, my boat will usually achieve hull speed on a reach to close-reach, as well as DDW, with 20-25 knots wind. For us this means a bit over 7 knots (theoretical hull speed is around 7.4 knots). I expect to see this anytime wind is around 15+ knots, again depending on sea state.

Close haul and broad reach is where we perform poorer. Here best speed might be around 6 to 6.5 knots.
Curious why your performance DDW is better than a broad reach? Is it because you are wing-wing DDW with better projected sail area?

Mark
Minnesail likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in