Line winds onto itself on winch - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chicory83

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter

Line winds onto itself on winch

Just like the title suggests, the line on my main and Genoa wraps onto itself as I lift either sail. Even with only one wrap around the can the line pulls itself towards the mast and stacks on itself jamming. It only seems to happen as the load increases. The only thing that seems out of sorts is that the lines are a bit old and stiff.
These are 1970 era winches mounted on the either side of the mast.

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-16-2019

Re: Line winds onto itself on winch

If you can put your halyards in a pillowcase, they could be washed in some kind of washing machine.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2019

The lead in for the line to the winch needs to be slightly uphill. If the lead is downhill or even parallel the line will ride over on itself and lock up. The official name is a riding turn. Either raise the winch or angle it back with a teak pad or use a fairlead to lower the lines run into the winch.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2019

It sounds like the winches have been there for a good while. The leads were obviously set up forty years ago and worked then (or they'd have been changed by now). To keep the line on the winch from sliding down towards the base it is important to tail the winch up at a slight angle.- away from the base of the winch- even with just one turn on. The underside of the top flange of the winch shows about what the angle needs to be. This keeps tension on the line, pulling it up, away from the base. If the tail is pulled straight off the drum or downwards, towards the base, not upwards, the wraps will override the base, as you say happens. Try tailing with a slight upward angle and tell us what happens. Winch drums are also sometimes scored to keep the line from sliding around. That would be expensive and probably not worthwhile for '70's winches. A judicious use of sandpaper on the drums might work the same way if you don't mind the scratchy look that would likely result. Whaler's suggestion to wash the lines to limber them up is also a good one.

Last edited by paulk; 05-17-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
It sounds like the winches have been there for a good while. The leads were obviously set up forty years ago and worked then (or they'd have been changed by now). To keep the line on the winch from sliding down towards the base it is important to tail the winch up at a slight angle.- away from the base of the winch- even with just one turn on. The underside of the top flange of the winch shows about what the angle needs to be. This keeps tension on the line, pulling it up, away from the base. If the tail is pulled straight off the drum or downwards, towards the base, not upwards, the wraps will override the base, as you say happens. Try tailing with a slight upward angle and tell us what happens. Winch drums are also sometimes scored to keep the line from sliding around. That would be expensive and probably not worthwhile for '70's winches. A judicious use of sandpaper on the drums might work the same way if you don't mind the scratchy look that would likely result. Whaler's suggestion to wash the lines to limber them up is also a good one.
yeah, thats what i was thinking. The more i think about it the more likely the lines being stiff is the culprit. When i kept having the issue I tried puling the tail from evry angle to see if it helped, but nothing. Then out of desperation i wound the line on with the halyard coming down to the outside (top) of the winch and the tail at the inside (bottom), I still had an override situation, but the lines worked out to the end (top) of the winch before binding.

i will be washing the lines this evening to see if that helps.

Thanks for the tips guys.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2019

If you decide to wash the line here is a useful technique I use to wash my 70 m rock climbing ropes in a washing machine without tangling them up.

Double up the line.
tie a slip knot neat the ends of the line so that the movable end of the slip knot is the long end of the rope.
push a loop from the long end of the rope through the loop of the slip knot to make another loop.
Keep repeating until you get to the end of the rope.
pass the end of the rope through the last loop and secure.
This process is known as daisy chaining a rope.

Once you are done washing and drying undoing the daisy chain is very fast, just undo the last knot and pull on the end of the rope.
Attached Thumbnails
20190517_073701.jpg  
Tommy Jones likes this.

Last edited by chicory83; 05-17-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: I can Knot spell.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-17-2019

tie a line tightly around the mast and halyard a foot above the winch to change the lead in angle to be from close to the mast as possible. some boats have the winch angled down to prevent this overwrap . old dirty stiff line can slip on a winch requiring to many wraps that can cause an overwrap
Attached Thumbnails
2b35061f648e0692a9041c5fab0c2b3a1824a3d3-e1398019415764.jpg  

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 05-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in