Dumb Jib Halyard Question...can it be TOO tight? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Dumb Jib Halyard Question...can it be TOO tight?

Just got a GREAT shape Ullman Carbon 140% Genoa that fits my boat perfectly. The question is (and it may be a dumb question) how tight should I tighten the jib halyard. Being a laminate sail should I be more concerned about the tension on it? With the Dacron sails I have had on the boat, I tightened then used the winch on the deck to give it a few more clicks and then tied it down. I did the same with this sail but I was wondering, is that a good idea? thoughts.....

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 3 Days Ago

Re: Dumb Jib Halyard Question...can it be TOO tight?

The right tension depends on a lot of things - there's really no way to say without trying it out. I'd make it fairly tight, then go out & sail and see how it looks. Big wrinkles parallel to the luff would indicate too tight.
post #3 of 11 Old 2 Days Ago

Depends on how much it blows.
If you wanna take good care of it, loosen it when not in use.

post #4 of 11 Old 2 Days Ago

Hanked, or on a furler or foil? I find I need much less halyard tension with my current boat with a furler than I did with my previous boat with hanks.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 11 Old 2 Days Ago

Halyard tension should be adjusted the same as any other sail. Tension should be less in light air to give the sail a fuller, more powerful shape, and more taut in stronger winds. There's no benefit to over-tensioning a sail. It won't point higher or foot faster.
BarryL likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 2 Days Ago
Administrator

There are two ways that you can over tighten a jib halyard. The first is that it is too tight to have a proper flying shape. In light winds the halyard wants to be tight enough that the jib does not sag on the stay. That is usually only hand tight.

At the upper end of the wind range, you will want a lot of halyard tension.Carbon sails stretch very little. In fact it takes a little while to get used to them.

By way of example, with my carbon-dyneema jib on my 38 footer there is less than 6 inches in the position of the mark on the halyard between way too loose for light winds, and as tight as I need to get the halyard for heavy winds. (That is with a low stretch halyard.) My prior Kevlar sails stretched roughly 50% more than that and my Dacron delivery Genoa stretched roughly 14" to 16" and had a much narrower wind range being too heavy for really light winds and too stretchy for the upper end of moderate winds. (I e. My carbon sail wind range is from 3- 4 knots to 25 knots, while the Dacron sail is 4 knots to around 12 knots.)

In some ways carbon sails are very tough, meaning that they are typically much lighter and can stand up to much more wind than Dacron sails. But you can over load them and damage them by excessively tightening the halyard.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 2 Days Ago at 08:00 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!! great info!! I think I have too much tension on it...I'll ease it back.

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

post #8 of 11 Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Thanks guys!!! great info!! I think I have too much tension on it...I'll ease it back.
Jeff gave a great summary. My view is that laminate sails will perform very well with moderate tension, so there is no reason to grunt on them, the way we sometimes do with aging polyester sails. Additionally, the furler bearings won't like it, and who remembers to release tension before furling?

Just get the wrinkles out and call it good.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #9 of 11 Old 5 Hours Ago

In my experience laminate sails don't need nearly as much halyard tension as dacron sails, however small adjustments can affect draft position.

Treat that laminate sail gently, and try to avoid storing it on the furler. If you must, at least slack the halyard tension off when not in use.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #10 of 11 Old 2 Hours Ago

Laminate sails do not need as much tension and do not stretch, truth be told they shrink over time. ask any sailmaker what is the bestway to store a laminate sail and they will say to roll it, not flake it. so leaving it rolled on the furler is really easier on the sail then flaking. last boat we flaked all the laminate sails and we had delam after a while from flaking, on the new boat we keep the jib on the furler and not a problem any where on the sail after 4 years. we use a zipper sleeve cover. If the sail can't stretch and the halyard tension required is low then there is no reason to slack the halyard when not in use. laminate sails require you to relearn everything you knew about sails.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in