Shout out for Marine Mechanic - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter

Shout out for Marine Mechanic

Most boaters are DIYers but there comes a time when some repairs require a good mechanic. I installed a Grunnert engine drive refer 25 years ago and it has worked quite well... until last year.. when the flow thru condenser (plastic) split. I attempted to glue it back together then seal it when it leaked...many times over last winter and gave up and called Peter from Helm Yachts who is a traveling mechanic who services refrigeration, electronics and I believe rigging. He had repaired the compressor once before.

I knew this would be a spendy repair, but the alternative was a new install (more spendy) or.... ice.

We set an appointment and I would bring the boat along side a dock... He comes with his own foldable dock cart full of all the tools and parts, gas bottles of Freon and Nitrogen, portable digital scale, gauges, vacuum pump, copper tubing, flares tubing bender,and replacement drier... a portable refrigeration shop!

In my case the replacement flow thru was $750 and he decided to use a used SeaFrost... taller but less diameter. This required several new copper tubes and flare fittings. I watched him work, assisted if he needed something...

After he removed the old flow thru he installed the sea frost and cut and bent the
tubing and connected it to the existing system. Lo and behold the old freon had leaked. So he had to pressurize the system with nitrogen and find the leak. He did and tested all the flare connections old and new. When it passed the pressure test... he then had to vacuum the nitrogen out of the system and add 2.4#s of freon. He replaced the drier... checked the pressure at the compressor and then we fired the engine and the refer. WOW.... the system worked very well... better than it had for years as it was probably working with too little freon.

The actual rebuild took him 4 hours. He disappeared to get some more tubing and chatted apparently with a friend.

Very neat worker... amazingly so. Very careful to not damage the boat. I can't say enough about what a great mechanic he is. Naturally he is a sailor and rebuilt his own boat!

Peter works from the East End of LI... but he drove to Northport to do the repair. And we will charge for travel time.

5 ***** completely satisfied. Highly recommended!
eherlihy, chef2sail and mbianka like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 05-20-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-20-2019

Re: Shout out for Marine Mechanic

Sounds like a great experience. Nice to know there are still competent marine techs out there!
SanderO likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 13 Old 05-20-2019

Sounds like a person who takes pride in his work.
SanderO likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-20-2019

He did a good job and didnít break anything else on the boat in the process? Heís worth his weight in gold. Few and far between. Great to read of these stories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter

One tell was how organized he was with his tools. He told me every tool has a "pocket" in his huge soft tool bag and so he never leaves with an empty pocket or missing tool. And he has some very nifty tools... for tubing that I've never seen... but this is work I don't normally do. And a bunch of tricks for making flares work (not leak). This is a person you can learn from.
Attached Thumbnails
20190517_103518.jpg  

post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2019

Much better than vendor trashing. I don't use many contractors, but I've never felt abused. I've gotten a few quotes that I refused.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #7 of 13 Old 05-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
One tell was how organized he was with his tools. He told me every tool has a "pocket" in his huge soft tool bag and so he never leaves with an empty pocket or missing tool. And he has some very nifty tools... for tubing that I've never seen... but this is work I don't normally do. And a bunch of tricks for making flares work (not leak). This is a person you can learn from.
Every tool in its place. Time is valuable and looking for tools is a waste of time.
Attached Thumbnails
20181130_165311_1558385479008.jpg  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2019

2.4lbs of refrigerant? That is a larger boat reefer system than I am used to working on.

It's great that you found a good marine professional. Personally, I think they are rarer than hen's teeth. I am dealing with the aftermath of a new to us boat that has been in the hands of the "best marine professionals in the Caribbean", according to the PO.

I could show you pictures of their work that would curl your toes...

Attached is one. Note that the breaker just lying on the floor in free space isn't the bad thing about this.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpeg  

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
Every tool in its place. Time is valuable and looking for tools is a waste of time.
You have a SnapOn roller tool cabinet on your boat? Dude, I bow to you! I'm lucky if I can find where I stashed a set of tools buried in several lockers.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You have a SnapOn roller tool cabinet on your boat? Dude, I bow to you! I'm lucky if I can find where I stashed a set of tools buried in several lockers.

Mark
I have tons of tools scattered in various boat locations... Pete had all his non power hand tools in a soft back back case.., clearly heavy... but portable. It's big and not that easy to stow and who wants to drag that to your project. My box wrenches, rachets live is separate place.. my handy tool bag is over stuffed and I have a hard case with way too many hand tools which is too heavy to move around.

Yeah... searching for your tools is a waste of time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in