Of dinghies and sails - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By SeanM26
  • 1 Post By SeanM26

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Of dinghies and sails

Got this in a trade last year and just started tinkering with it a couple days ago. Should be fun in the local fishing pond.
Attached Thumbnails
20190522_205856~2.jpg  
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Of dinghies and sails

Very pretty

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Pretty boat. Some one put a lot of work into her. I like the axe handle tiller. I suspect she will like to sail with the dagger board up on anything down wind of a reach.

post #4 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Gorgeous. I'm still looking for something similar. I'd be afraid I'd ruin something that nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Pretty boat. Some one put a lot of work into her. I like the axe handle tiller. I suspect she will like to sail with the dagger board up on anything down wind of a reach.
Indeed. The guy who built her loved the look of lapstrake boats so he decided to build one. The sailing rig was an afterthought and he didnt spend much time or effort on it. I've completely re-rigged it to more of a standard gaff-rig. The axe handle is one I had laying around from a previous project. It turned out to be the perfect size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Gorgeous. I'm still looking for something similar. I'd be afraid I'd ruin something that nice.
I thought the same thing when I first got it but now I realize I don't care much for fancy decorations. It's a boat so I will use it as such.
Attached Thumbnails
received_286831108608178_1558616688236.png  
Arcb likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Beauty lake.

On my open 8 footer I place a floatation bag under the forward thwarts. I have never needed it because I have never flipped that boat, but I figure it should displace enough water that if I swamp the boat will float high enough for me to bail. It looks something like this. https://walkerbay.com/shop/replaceme...it-pvc-yellow/

Your boat would make a nice camp cruiser. Load her up with food and camping gear and head out for a few days or a week where bigger boats wouldn't dare to go.
post #7 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Any idea where the plan came from?

How's she run with a stinkpot?

I'd love that in a nester, maybe 10'. . .
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Any idea where the plan came from?

How's she run with a stinkpot?

I'd love that in a nester, maybe 10'. . .
He didn't say and I didn't ask.

Haven't sailed it yet. Just got the rig and tiller set up to my liking last night.

It is smaller than it looks. About 7'. I could throw my camping gear in it and explore but i'd rather do that in my 17' canoe.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in