SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Fiberglass separation on bottom of keel _ Liberty 28 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/329762-fiberglass-separation-bottom-keel-_-liberty-28-a.html)

cdy 05-24-2019 11:28 AM

Fiberglass separation on bottom of keel _ Liberty 28

Looking at a 1986 Liberty 28 - first look was yesterday - interesting boat - the owner made a bit of a confusing statement - at least to me - he has a diver clean the bottom every couple of months - the diver told him there is a slight separation of the overlapping fiberglass on the bottom of the keel - it is an encapsulated keel - he did not seem overly concerned - just something that needs addressed when boat is hauled for it next bottom job ( next 6 months).

I am guess there are several layers of fiberglass and maybe the top layer is separating - any thoughts on it? Have not hauled boat to look at bottom but if major issue would pass on boat.

SloopJonB 05-24-2019 11:56 AM

Re: Fiberglass separation on bottom of keel _ Liberty 28

Sounds like a bad repair from a time it scraped bottom.

Extremely unlikely to be the original laminate separating.

TQA 05-24-2019 04:40 PM

One thing to be VERY concerned about is the material used for ballast. If it is ferrous and water has got to it then it may be rusting. Rust increases in volume by a factor around 6. This will cause the laminate to fail.

While a repair is technically possible it is not likely to be economically feasible.

cdy 05-24-2019 05:21 PM

Liberty 28 ballast:

Ballast: Consists of 4800 pounds of lead sealed internally in the keel and bonded to the hull with fiberglass.

Not sure if it changes my concern

JimsCAL 05-24-2019 05:58 PM

If you are going to go ahead with this boat, you will definitely need to haul it for survey to have this looked at. It could be nothing or it could be a deal killer.

bristol299bob 05-24-2019 06:00 PM

I think I'd want to talk to the diver first and hear what he has to say directly. And based on that you or he might think that a second look (on your dime) would be helpful.

Then you can decide if you want to go further and have the boat hauled for a better look.

cdy 05-24-2019 06:11 PM

Good idea - I will try to talk with diver directly - I am sure he sees all sorts of stuff under boats and give me an idea if its a deal breaker or just a needed repair. To his credit the owner volunteered the info - he was pretty straight forward about items that needed addressing - mostly cosmetic but a few things needed attention. I have bought enough boats over the years to identify problems my self - but bottom issues when the boat is in the slip - something I can't check until hauled.