Fiberglass separation on bottom of keel _ Liberty 28 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Fiberglass separation on bottom of keel _ Liberty 28

Looking at a 1986 Liberty 28 - first look was yesterday - interesting boat - the owner made a bit of a confusing statement - at least to me - he has a diver clean the bottom every couple of months - the diver told him there is a slight separation of the overlapping fiberglass on the bottom of the keel - it is an encapsulated keel - he did not seem overly concerned - just something that needs addressed when boat is hauled for it next bottom job ( next 6 months).

I am guess there are several layers of fiberglass and maybe the top layer is separating - any thoughts on it? Have not hauled boat to look at bottom but if major issue would pass on boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-24-2019
Senior Moment Member

Re: Fiberglass separation on bottom of keel _ Liberty 28

Sounds like a bad repair from a time it scraped bottom.

Extremely unlikely to be the original laminate separating.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-24-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

One thing to be VERY concerned about is the material used for ballast. If it is ferrous and water has got to it then it may be rusting. Rust increases in volume by a factor around 6. This will cause the laminate to fail.

While a repair is technically possible it is not likely to be economically feasible.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Liberty 28 ballast:

Ballast: Consists of 4800 pounds of lead sealed internally in the keel and bonded to the hull with fiberglass.

Not sure if it changes my concern
post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2019

If you are going to go ahead with this boat, you will definitely need to haul it for survey to have this looked at. It could be nothing or it could be a deal killer.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2019

I think I'd want to talk to the diver first and hear what he has to say directly. And based on that you or he might think that a second look (on your dime) would be helpful.

Then you can decide if you want to go further and have the boat hauled for a better look.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Good idea - I will try to talk with diver directly - I am sure he sees all sorts of stuff under boats and give me an idea if its a deal breaker or just a needed repair. To his credit the owner volunteered the info - he was pretty straight forward about items that needed addressing - mostly cosmetic but a few things needed attention. I have bought enough boats over the years to identify problems my self - but bottom issues when the boat is in the slip - something I can't check until hauled.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in