Perkins diesel questions - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Perkins diesel questions

I have always had Yanmar's in the boats with inboards - anything particular I need to look out for in a Perkins? It is freshwater cooled ( heat exchanger). Supposedly in the last 5 years it has been removed and overhauled ( whatever that means - different things to different people) . The engine is very clean - starts right up - no blue or black smoke - easily shifts into F or R. Not sure on the hours - its the original engine of a 1985 boat -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-24-2019

Re: Perkins diesel questions

They are British ! Parts at North Atlantic Diesel, if in U.S. Good motors !
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2019
Master Mariner

If you have always had Yanmars, you've probably had gear drive trannys, whereas the Perkins is usually paired with a Borg-Warner Velvet drive tranny. Completely different beasts. Always check the fluid in your BW before operating the engine. It is supposed to be checked when warm, but that's so inconvenient that most just do it cold and note that the fluid level remains the same. The biggest difference between the two trannies is that the BW is hydraulic and will not stop the prop from rotating while sailing. Though BW now maintains that the spinning under 10 knots or so isn't a problem, it is noisy and personally, I don't feel comfortable about letting it spin for long periods or speeds above 6 knots. Therefore, I'm more comfortable with a shaft brake or a feathering prop on a BW tranny.
Also, if possible, note the reduction ratio on the tag before it gets painted or worn away.
Perkins puts an absolutely ridiculous multi-piece secondary fuel filter on the engine, however, there is a spin on filter kit that is worth every penny. Also, if the oil filter is not in a convenient place, definitely purchase and install a remote kit to facilitate oil changes. These are much more lightly built engines than the Yanmars and frequent maintenance will help them last longer with fewer problems. Make sure you do not let the engine overheat! They aren't very forgiving about that.
These engines have been around a long time and you should be able to get parts almost anywhere in the world, but TAD is definitely a good supplier.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 05-25-2019 at 05:24 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
They are British ! Parts at North Atlantic Diesel, if in U.S. Good motors !
TAD or Trans Atlantic Diesel in North Carolina.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2019

Send a message via Skype™ to Cal39Tantrum

my cal 39 has a perkins that is a good runner ...capta: u said they dont like overheating...my 4108 runs about 180-185 is that about right?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2019

You want the thermo to control the running temp....
What temp is specd for your engine
Thermos come in differrnt varieties
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal39Tantrum View Post
my cal 39 has a perkins that is a good runner ...capta: u said they dont like overheating...my 4108 runs about 180-185 is that about right?
I was speaking of 200+ degrees as overheating and happening suddenly. Diesels generally run around 180, but remember the gauges are not exact, so your 185 may actually be 178.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 05-31-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in