SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

It's big , It's beautiful

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Mícheál W 
#1 · (Edited)
My guess at least 150' . I saw this boat in my marina a few years ago , and now she's back . Anybody know her ?

IMG_0338 by mark westi, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess at least 150' . I saw this boat in my marina a few years ago . Anybody know her ?

IMG_0338 by mark westi, on Flickr
https://www.boatinternational.com/y...royal-huisman-sailing-yacht-meteor-sold--7957

I don't think she is Meteor, but she looks a lot like her. I saw her as I rounded Pt Judith 12 miles in the distance.

We saw Meteor two years ago in Natagasett Bay. Radar showed her going over 15 knots. She flew by with a rooster tail with me watch her with my tongue hanging out

#3 ·
doing laundry yesterday there was this magazine aimed at the owners and crews of boats like that

their issues aren't anything like "ours" and by the time I got to back of the mag I realized just how much boat scum I really am

#6 ·
Maybe I'm nuts, but I wouldn't take it if you gave it to me. Annual operating expense exceeds the purchase price of my boat. And even if that's play money for you, you gotta manage a pile of people who work for you to keep this thing running.

You don't own your stuff, your stuff owns you.

I know a guy who could buy it. He owns a 46 foot sailboat. I asked him why not buy something like a Perini Navi? He said "I've had employees my entire working life, the last thing I want is to manage a group of people working for me on my boat."

Put your hand on the wheel, the other on a sheet, and go sailing without requiring a coordinated ballet of everything from sailing crew to kitchen staff. And I've watched that TV show about what goes on below decks, enough said :).

Wise advice I think. Fun to look at though.

#11 ·
Maybe I'm nuts, but I wouldn't take it if you gave it to me.
I'd take in in a heartbeat, sell it in the next heartbeat.

Take the proceeds and invest in my dream cruising boat. Invest some in a cruising kitty. Take the left over millions and create a trust to support sailor hardship go fund me campaigns.

Capecodda, I am wondering which 47 foot boat did your wealthy friend choose?

#7 ·
Well, capecodda is kinda right.
Over 150 feet long or over 300 Tons you need to have a professionally qualified Captain on it.
So if you've just spent your $10 million and you jump into the Bridge and grab the Wheel the Captain is gunna tell you where you can shove your dirty mitts. You tell him you wanna have a go with your own boat and he tells you to nick off! You tell him you wanna go up that river and anchor off that beach and the Captain says "Oh, I dont think so theres a cloud in the sky".

Nope. The Owner aint got no say on the big boats. He just pays the bills.

:yacht:

#8 ·
It could be, The 188.62ft /57.49m Custom 'Twizzle' was built in 2010 by Royal Huisman and last refitted in 2015.
One year I took a jump drive to then in the Tobago Cays and they downloaded Passage WX for us. Considering the cost of sat internet, I think it was very kind of them.

#18 ·
I think 65 is a bit large for a liveaboard (cruiser?) for a couple. Rates for cruising permits go up drastically around there and gear becomes really seriously expensive. I can't imagine any couple would require more than 55 feet.
I've sailed boats over 80 feet with two, and Alan Colas and Jean-Yves Terlain singlehandedly raced the 128' Vendredi Treize so I don't consider most boats too big to sail short handed. It's just about money, IMO.
Of course, if you had a boat like the OP posted, you could charter it out to family and friends for around 50k a day, and possibly, though improbably unless you have lots of family and friends, make expenses.
However, If I had that kind of cash, the boat below would be much more my style.

Attachments

#21 ·
I don't want boat I can not single hand. That gets smaller yearly now. We have 2 boats, both heavy displacement for their length. 33’ at 16,000 pounds and 44’ @ 40,000 pounds. We have lived aboard the small boat for 6 months, we could do it for longer but comfort would suffer. We do live aboard the big boat comfortably, and without a lot of systems others find necessary. I have no desire to go bigger.

In St Martin we would dink past “My Song” daily. It was beautiful. But we were not envious. Then they dumped her off a transport in the Med and destroyed her. It was a pity. But not something likely to happen to us. I have peeked over the shoulder of a claims adjuster for a super yacht who took out the St Martin bridge tenders building. Hard working guy, making the most of every moment. I was sucking a beer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.