Plastic - SailNet Community
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 103 Old 05-26-2019 Thread Starter
arrgh!

Dock
Plastic

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/24/186355...tomach-beached

I have been thinking about this for a while. There are islands of plastic... it is hard for sailing vlogs to make videos without garbage (mainly plastic) to float by, though I think a lot of sailing articles and videos do all they can to ignore the garbage....

I have been wondering how sailing can be part of this change, accepting the irony most sailors live in a plastic container.

One thought would be to have a week when the focus is on plastic pollution

I am wondering, those who are in the water, how often do they see (plastic) garbage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 05-26-2019 Thread Starter
arrgh!

Dock
Re: Plastic

from the article

"Roughly 8 million metric tons of plastic — a mass greater than that of the Great Pyramid of Giza — enters the ocean each year."

First I can't say anything without mention I find the way reporters have to make some kind of imagery that people really don't understand (who really knows what the mass of the Great Pyramid of Giza is)!!!

so all this non-compostable plastic is in the ocean, killing life.

at what point does the world complain or get upset

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #3 of 103 Old 05-26-2019

Years ago I operated a landing craft on the Exxon Valdez 'cleanup' The beaches of the Kenai peninsula were mostly plastic (from Asia) covered in crude from the North slope. Spent much of my time bagging dead Sea otters.How's that for image? Just 'the cost of doing business' .said the eco of Exxon.at the time. If you can't believe your leaders who you gonna call?

post #4 of 103 Old 05-26-2019

Dock

I feel we preach to the converted.
The only plastic islands I gave seen are in Asia and the middle east.
Those areas are never called out about it

Why?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 103 Old 05-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Why?
Good point. I just spent eight days cruising the Exumas in the Bahamas. Did not see any floating plastic the whole eight days. Also none while snorkeling the reefs. Very rarely will I see any on Long Island Sound as a live aboard for half the year. Despite the tens of millions of people who live in a 50 mile radius. If I ever do come across any floating plastic I always make an attempt to will pick it up the same when snorkeling.
SanderO and wymbly1971 like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Last edited by mbianka; 05-26-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #6 of 103 Old 05-26-2019

It breaks down into microscopic particles, impossible to clean up, now well embedded in our food chain.

Airborn too.

Trying to prevent the problem from getting worse will be very very difficult, and would only help future generations after we're dead, so

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
post #7 of 103 Old 05-26-2019
Master Mariner

We occasionally see a plastic bag go blowing by in the town anchorages but very rarely see any when sailing in the Windwards. Very recently, both Grenada and SVG have apparently outlawed the styrofoam take-out food containers in favor of some sort of terrible cardboard containers. I'm all for cleaning up the environment, but when your dinners end up a mixed up mess in the plastic bag, things have gone way too far.
As for 'rivers' of plastic, the only place I have run across that repeatedly was in southern Europe's garbage can, better known as the Med.
But, you know what, if the wealthiest and most powerful nation on this planet doesn't care to help improve things (except of course by outlawing plastic straws lol), then I'm pretty sure you are wasting your time even mentioning it. I've been a liveaboard since 1959 and I believe very few liveaboards are polluters. However, sewage spills and other contaminations of the environment by the municipalities and corporations around the US so overshadow any pollution all the yachts on the planet could possibly make and are just considered "the cost of doing business" like the pollution credits that can be bought and sold by the corporations of America. If the US puts the almighty dollar ahead of the environment, then who are we to try to change the status quo?
If you really want to see a change, then the only way is at the voting booths, not some ant against a bulldozer grassroots effort.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 103 Old 05-26-2019 Thread Starter
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Why?
on the surface (pun understood, but not intended)
there is nothing wrong with this.

However, my guess is there is plastic pollution you don't see.. often in the animals still exists.

I am not sure, but much of the plastic packaging seems to be a U.S. thing.

Like so much that has to do with the future of the planet, it should be a global approach, but I am not sure the third world countries have the same means..

Would be interesting if we were to say to the countries that we give aid to that they start getting in line here

Vector X Y
post #9 of 103 Old 05-26-2019 Thread Starter
arrgh!

Dock

general thoughts

- I don't know if the voting booth is a viable solution. The corporations that profit off of bad 'earth policies' have the money to influence politics. Either by contributing more and more money to campaigns of candidates and/or by lobbying the candidates after they are elected.

- The changes I have seen so far did not come from the voting booth, but the sense these corporations had that people would stop shopping their businesses.
(I am sure I could list several changes our politicans could make that: a. most people agree with, b. probably doesn't cost any more (likely less) and c. wouldn't take much to impliment and yet we don't politicans don't make those laws)

- I kind of think are getting close to stage three cancer... yes, maybe we are going to die because we ignored all the warnings and lived a bad lifestyle, but do we double down and accelerate the cancer, or do we try to mitigate it while we can?

- I read something that after the tsumni in Japan, several years later you could find (plastic) legos washing ashore in California. This is to say (probably the obvious) that much of what we produce is likely in a current on the way to Spain

Vector X Y
post #10 of 103 Old 05-26-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
on the surface (pun understood, but not intended)
there is nothing wrong with this.

However, my guess is there is plastic pollution you don't see.. often in the animals still exists.

I am not sure, but much of the plastic packaging seems to be a U.S. thing.

Like so much that has to do with the future of the planet, it should be a global approach, but I am not sure the third world countries have the same means..

Would be interesting if we were to say to the countries that we give aid to that they start getting in line here
As I mentioned in my post the EC (3rd world or "****hole" countries) has already begun moving forward against plastic.
But how do you see the US, as one of the biggest polluters on the planet, having any right to dictate to any other country what they should or shouldn't do? So many 3rd world "****hole" countries are far ahead of the US in this.
And yes, the voting booths are how Americans are supposed to enact change. If corporations are infringing on the process, then the American people must stand up and stop it. Our only power is by standing together at the voting booths and ridding ourselves of the corruption that rules our country, and again, that can only be done by voting.
wymbly1971 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 05-26-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in