Fuel dock prices - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Fuel dock prices

To each their own.

My Father would literally drive to the next town to buy gas at 5 cents less per gallon. No doubt, he burned the savings just getting there. I just don't get it.

If jugging the fuel to the marina is a better use of one's time, go for it. That's how supply and demand works. Nothing wrong with it either way. Pay or don't pay. It's all good.

For me, I buy Valvtect fuels at marinas, for their biocide and stabilizing additives. I hate inventorying the additives myself. The few extra bucks, per year, is absolutely lost in the boating budget.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

The price of any commodity is that which the supplier can charge without driving away customers. You want to run an engine on the water. Where else are you gonna go, ‘xactly? It isn’t politics, it’s capitalism, which everyone claims to like until it’s personally inconvenient.

Renae
post #33 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Around here we just call it “lake effect pricing” — the closer you get to the water, the more expensive everything is

People are just nutty about the price of gas. I worked at a gas station in college. On opening day we had a sale and priced gas $0.10 less than the prevailing rate. We were swamped and people waited in line for nearly an hour just to top off their tanks with a couple gallons. Congratulations, you spent 45 minutes sitting in your car to save 30 cents.

Here in Minnesota our governor recently proposed a 20 cent gas tax to pay for road improvements (and god knows we need them). If you drive 12,000 miles a year at 25mpg the tax would be $8 / month. Less than Netflix. A bargain to have quality roads. But of course people freaked out and it went nowhere.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #34 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Around here we just call it “lake effect pricing” — the closer you get to the water, the more expensive everything is
When I was operating the Mary E for the Connecticut River Museum, the residents of Essex told me that if the littlest attic window had the tiniest view of any part of the river, the tax rate was significantly higher. Talk about greed!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #35 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:

People are just nutty about the price of gas. I worked at a gas station in college. On opening day we had a sale and priced gas $0.10 less than the prevailing rate. We were swamped and people waited in line for nearly an hour just to top off their tanks with a couple gallons. Congratulations, you spent 45 minutes sitting in your car to save 30 cents.

Here in Minnesota our governor recently proposed a 20 cent gas tax to pay for road improvements (and god knows we need them). If you drive 12,000 miles a year at 25mpg the tax would be $8 / month. Less than Netflix. A bargain to have quality roads. But of course people freaked out and it went nowhere.
To be fair, it went to the MN Senate, which is the functional equivalent of nowhere.
Minnesail likes this.

Renae
post #36 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
This is so true! One time I was driving with my family, and I went to stop for gas at one of the more expensive gas stations in town. The chorus of complaints from my passengers was loud and consistent; I was wasting money! I wasn't being a smart shopper! I asked them to do the math: how much more expensive was the gas at this station than the less expensive one two miles away? "8 cents a gallon more" said my outraged wife. How much gas did I buy? "9 gallons" said my son. So how much money did I "waste" by not driving two miles in the opposite direction from where we were going? When they did the math and realized they were getting upset over 72 cents, there was some silence and even disbelief. I think they know that those pennies add up to real money over the course of a year, but that they really don't need to get all bent out of shape over the relatively minor price differences at the pumps. That's not to say that there are some stations we avoid because they charge some pretty outrageous prices for gas (one station right off I95 charges between 30 and 50 cents more per gallon than it's competition), but those are the rare exceptions.
SanderO and Minnesail like this.
post #37 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

When one has REASONABLE choices to save some money... definitely do. But often you save less than the cost of a beer for topping up and waste precious time.

Fuel docks offer other conveniences when you tie up... ice, water for your tanks... washing your deck... and other items such as oil, snacks and so forth.
chef2sail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #38 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
When one has REASONABLE choices to save some money... definitely do. But often you save less than the cost of a beer for topping up and waste precious time.

Fuel docks offer other conveniences when you tie up... ice, water for your tanks... washing your deck... and other items such as oil, snacks and so forth.
The fuel docks around here offer no such conveniences. Buy your fuel and move on. The particular marina I am talking about won't even allow you to use the sewage pump out unless you are one of their mooring customers, and it is the only one in the area.

Of course I am not going to go to all the trouble of finding alternate fuel sources to save a few cents, or even a few dollars, but we are talking about saving $80 per fill up here!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #39 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Where are you? Gas stations in Massachusetts charge by the gallon.
post #40 of 49 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photocurio View Post
Where are you? Gas stations in Massachusetts charge by the gallon.
Canada, like the rest of the world, charges by the litre![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in