Tow question in Newport, RI - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 83 Old 05-30-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Tow question in Newport, RI

If the problem is a broken high pressure injector, and that's all "bolt on bolt off" work, maybe it would be cheaper to have a mechanic come out to the boat and do it there? Depending on whether this can be fixed or just needs to be replaced, in which case it is just one trip to the boat. If you pay for an hour or two of travel time, that should still be less than towing costs.

Maybe call the shop you want to use, and suggest you'd be willing to do it that way if they are. It may not be their usual way to work, but WTF, why not?

And then you could motor in to wherever to have to mast stepped.

This is a Yanmar that is using a VW engine and VW specialty parts?? Maybe there's an independent VW diesel repair shop in Newport that would also be able to send someone out to do the swap?

The VWG penchant for inventing special parts that need special tools has always unimpressed me. I follow the Yankee tradition of "give me a pliers and a slotted screwdriver and I should be able to get this home". (Damned Colonial barbarians, yeah.(G)
SanderO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 Old 05-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I just looked at the prices for that marina and at over $500 per night I think I will be looking elsewhere after all. I will most likely go to the New England Boatyard.
Exactly what is the scope of work? Do you need a short haul and block? or can the work be done in water? Is the $500/ day a fee they charge when they work on boats at the Shipyard? Can the work be done on a mooring? Oldport does engine work and they may do it on a mooring or tow it to a their dock.

Jamestown boatyard is across the harbor... full service yard w/ moorings.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #23 of 83 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter

The $500 is the daily dockage fee at that marina. I don't need a haul, I just need a mechanic with the special tools to remove the part.

I've found a shop that has expertise and the tools for this engine (it has nothing to do with Yanmar, it is a VW marine engine. The brand has been taken over by mercruiser), but since my draft is too deep for their marina I have to go elsewhere but they will travel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 83 Old 05-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I just looked at the prices for that marina and at over $500 per night I think I will be looking elsewhere after all. I will most likely go to the New England Boatyard.
That sounds like their rates. They've fully eliminated seasonal or even weekly/monthly rates. They charge by the foot per day and you'd drop your jaw to see the dozens of 100ft+ boats that still stay for months.

If you're going to Portsmouth, where NEB is located, highly consider using the Hinckley yard. They are not exclusive to the Hinckley brand, they serve everyone. They are next door to NEB, which has a very mixed reputation. NEB huge and it probably depends on whether you hit the lottery, with whichever tech is assigned to your job.
SanderO likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 83 Old 05-30-2019

Perhaps a mooring in Newport Harbor is an option with the Mercruiser mechanic coming to you. There are water taxis or you could use your tender. Haven’t priced a mooring for your size boat, but I’ll bet you might stay a week on a mooring for the cost of a single day at the Newport Yacht Center.
SanderO likes this.
post #26 of 83 Old 05-31-2019

Transient moorings in Newport are usually $1/ft/night. It's not a bad idea. However, for any length of time, Zanshin would need to create power to charge batteries. Not clear if her genset is running or whether the OP will be aboard. If she's going to be left alone for weeks or more, a slip is easier to manage and now batteries are topped up. Transient slips are expensive here, however.

As a general rule, slip pricing gets higher, the closer to open water you get. Or anywhere in Newport.

I would expect the Hinckley Yacht Services yard to be about half what the OP said he was quoted at the Newport Shipyard (which did sound a bit high for his boat, even there). For a 57 ft boat, I would have guessed the Shipyard to be about $350/night and Hinckley to be about $250/night.

When you are having service done, tie ups are very variable. Depending on the amount of work being done, the tie up can even be included. Probably not, if the whole list is the injector pump.

Curious if the mast came along or was trashed and needs to be replaced (I only read she has no mast presently). If it's lying on the deck, that's may be what's creating extra LOA and increasing slip cost, but I'd have it picked off and stored ashore, until the yard was ready to step it. No doubt, the reconstruction is complicated and heartbreaking.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 83 Old 05-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Transient moorings in Newport are usually $1/ft/night. It's not a bad idea. However, for any length of time, Zanshin would need to create power to charge batteries. Not clear if her genset is running or whether the OP will be aboard. If she's going to be left alone for weeks or more, a slip is easier to manage and now batteries are topped up. Transient slips are expensive here, however.

As a general rule, slip pricing gets higher, the closer to open water you get. Or anywhere in Newport.

I would expect the Hinckley Yacht Services yard to be about half what the OP said he was quoted at the Newport Shipyard (which did sound a bit high for his boat, even there). For a 57 ft boat, I would have guessed the Shipyard to be about $350/night and Hinckley to be about $250/night.

When you are having service done, tie ups are very variable. Depending on the amount of work being done, the tie up can even be included. Probably not, if the whole list is the injector pump.

Curious if the mast came along or was trashed and needs to be replaced (I only read she has no mast presently). If it's lying on the deck, that's may be what's creating extra LOA and increasing slip cost, but I'd have it picked off and stored ashore, until the yard was ready to step it. No doubt, the reconstruction is complicated and heartbreaking.
To give advice one needs to have facts such as the scope of work... engine... rig stepping and tuning? Are there alt sources to top of batteries? Where exactly is the boat now?

Mechanics don't like to work on a mooring because they have to drag all their tools along and that can be a royal PITA. They won't use your tools typically.

I've had a starter motor replaced by Oldport and paid for their mooring... left the boat on the mooring for a week returned by public transport to NY and back again. The rates were similar to what Minni wrote. Once the motor is working and if the rig is un deck you can motor to a number of near by boat yards to have the rig stepped.

post #28 of 83 Old 05-31-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the post, but we have digressed more than a bit from the original question.

As to the scope of the damage questions - the 10KW genset is working, as is everything else still on board apart from the main propulsion. The mast is not on board, Irma took it with her.

The only Mercruiser shop in the area cannot accomodate my draft, but will travel a limited distance. I still haven't gotten a confirmation from any of the marinas I've contacted regarding a week's worth of dockage; but the original question still remains open: If I cannot get the marina's resources to tow me what are my options? I cannot sign up with the tow organizations as my engine is currently inoperative, once the engine is fixed then I can sign up for future tows.

So far I have only gotten one offer for $400 per hour, the watch starts ticking when they turn on their engine and stops when they return to their dock. A minimum of 3 hours. This is, IMHO, somewhat too high for a non-salvage, non-emergency standard tow on a boat with a functioning rudder.

Although the idea of renting a powerboat and using that is tempting, I won't misuse a rental boat or contract like that, so that option is out.

post #29 of 83 Old 05-31-2019

Thanks for the clarification. I would reach out to Joe Cooper... he works for Hood Sailmakers, and with Sail Newport. He's a great guy and if anyone knows marine resources such as towing in Newport.. it would be Coop. He's on Facebook.

Good luck!

Last edited by SanderO; 06-01-2019 at 06:48 AM.
post #30 of 83 Old 06-01-2019

Another thought. SafeSea towing is based in Wickford, right across the Bay from Newport. If you contracted for a tow with them to bring the boat to one of the marinas in Wickford, you would save on their return trip time. They are based at the Brewer marina there, so they’d be home when you are.

SafeSea is a locally owned company and may negotiate if you could get them on the phone. I know you said it was difficult to call, but I think you’re better off, if you could solve for that.

I suspect only Brewer or the Wickford Shipyard, in that harbor, are well enough equipped to help you with the mast, if you need that.

Another concept to prepare for. Most all marinas around here allow outside labor, but require an extra fee from them. 10%-15% or an add on hourly charge. The vendor also typically needs to register, bring insurance, etc. Ask so you’re not surprised. All the traveling vendors would be familiar.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in