Tow question in Newport, RI - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Tow question in Newport, RI

Have you considered having the mast shipped to Newport and rig it there? Or Portsmouth or Jamestown... all have good reliable boat yards. Not sure what you mean by a project manager... down in Annapolis.. What is involved in the rig? The spar, spreaders, shrouds I presume... turnbuckles. You need the boat dockside for a crane to place the mast... Seems to me if you have a person to do this project... might make sense to bring HIM up to the boat rather than the boat to him. You can get wire rigging swaged in RI pretty quickly I would think... or if you use Stalok / Norseman you can do this yourself.

If you have the rigging plan, you could have the shrouds, stays and roller furling waiting for the spar and your project manager/rigger to arrive. For sure you can find things to do on the boat until the mast arrives.

You can do the math... and decide which approach works. Considering the risks of the journey, draft issues and all plus the cost of fuel... I would look for a Newport, Narragansett Bay solution.

Good Luck!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Geez we just took this trip a week ago. Motoring down the Sound then down the East River is not dangerous at all. Pick your conditions.

The Jersey Coast is not a big deal if the conditions are relatively tame.

Atlantic Highlands, Manesquan, Atlantic City Cape May are the good easy inlets. Barnegat should only be taken under ideal conditions.

Hell Gate is a piece of cake with the current and if timed properly you can ride it out NY Bay as we did. Don’t go at slack currents as that’s when most of the barges go through. Best set up. To me is the free moorings at Port Washington 5 miles from the Throngs neck.

The roughest part is potentially Delaware Bay. You have 7 hours of current with you if you leave Cape May 1 hour before the CURRENT switches on the Delaware. With that start you will have the current all the way through the C&D Canal. No place on the Delaware to overnight , you really need to do it in one shot. With current motoring you should be 8-10 knots for that stretch.

Wind against current...stay put. Delaware Bay can be mean
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #43 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Most sailors know that sailing provides a much more comfortable ride than motoring. However, motoring a sailboat is much like motoring a displacement hull powerboat, except that the deeper keel of a sailboat would dampen the roll more.........
Let's be sure we're all on the same page here. Zanshin said his boat lost it's mast in the hurricane. He has no mast. I assume sourcing and installing one in Annapolis is part of the plan.

While I've not done it, my understanding is that a sailboat with no mast, motors worse than a powerboat, when it gets rolling. The keel becomes a pendulum and gets exaggerated with seas on the beam. Hopefully, I understand incorrectly.

The idea of motoring a boat, with the mast installed, is a no brainer, but not the scenario here.

I'm not planning to motor a mastless sailboat offshore anytime soon. I wish Zanshin the best, of course. No doubt, he's more intrepid than I.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #44 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

It would be helpful to member trying to offer suggestions.... if we knew more facts. If the mast was lost... was all the rigging gine as well? Or was it saved and it's in OK condition to reuse? Where is the new spar being made? Presumably it's no sitting in some warehouse in Annapolis... but it could be. If it being manufactured and shipped to the boat's location... why move the boat? There could be a good reason... but this is not clear.

I had a friend who stored their boat in Antigua years ago during the hurricane season. The boat next to it fell over and friends mast was destroyed, A new one was shipped from Europe. Bjorn flew down to get it stepped and rigged (not in English Harbor area. I don't know if they were able to safe the rigging.

Motoring a boat 500 (or more) miles to a spar seems like less sensible than shipping the spar to the boat. Newport area is a good a location as any in the USA to do this work.

Please explain your thinking.

post #45 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

The work will be done in Annapolis by a project manager I trust, and who originally commissioned the boat when new. I am going to be several thousand miles away while the work is being done. There is more than the mast and rigging to replace - cosmetic gel and fiberglass work and repainting the boat, installing deck hardware, bimini redo. The main batteries are shot (6x 8D AGM) are going to be replaced by lithium ones and that means that the chargers, inverter and alternators will also need to be replaced. I hate my fridge compressor (Cubigel is the manufacturer) and want a standard Danfoss-Compressor driven system.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

post #46 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

I think some may not know, or underestimate Zanshins experience and abilities to do long distance sailing. Nor is it his first boat which he has done long distance cruising

Plus its not a small boat so it would be fine to motor at sea without a stick. in fact I'd be pretty surprised if that size boat would notice much of an increased righting moment jolt when rolling.

All in all, this trip is a tiddler for him.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #47 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The work will be done in Annapolis by a project manager I trust, and who originally commissioned the boat when new. I am going to be several thousand miles away while the work is being done. There is more than the mast and rigging to replace - cosmetic gel and fiberglass work and repainting the boat, installing deck hardware, bimini redo. The main batteries are shot (6x 8D AGM) are going to be replaced by lithium ones and that means that the chargers, inverter and alternators will also need to be replaced. I hate my fridge compressor (Cubigel is the manufacturer) and want a standard Danfoss-Compressor driven system.
Scope of work is now clear and it's extensive. If you have a service facility who can deal with the list of projects you mention then YES you need the boat at THAT location.... although I am sure other yards can take all the above on. I am not terribly concerned with motoring without the rig... mine was motored with the mast on the deck from POE NJ to CT where the rig was stepped when it arrived in the States. If the engine and instruments are working you certainly can motor down to the Chessy. Radar would be handing as well AIS. Are these on an existing pole and operational?

I assume you will motor during light hours which are long this time of year... 16 hours a day at 6 knots is close to 100 miles a day. If you can make Port Jeff ... anchoring or tying up is not an issue for your draft. Next leg maybe get thru NY Harbor... Next day down the Jersey Coast. Then you need to time the runs because of the strong currents. Chef would be a person to ask about that.

post #48 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I agree - get a nice window and go outside. Montauk is 40nm from Newport. From there, Cape May is 195nm - leave in the morning and arrive the next afternoon. Possibly even the next morning given your boat. After that, it is all inshore motoring. Pick the tide and wind for Delaware Bay and you are all set.

You have a 57' boat with an 8' keel weighing 47,000lbs - you won't be in any danger motoring in any seas, and probably won't even notice too much if Delaware Bay kicks.

There is really no additional safety potential for a 8' draft boat going through LIS, NY, and NJ. One overnight and you're done offshore - vs. a lot of worrying for several days the inshore route.

Mark
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #49 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Oops, I didn't see there was another page to this thread, and I just said the same things others have already said.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #50 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I am not concerned about whether this boat can be motored inside or out. I am concerned that the VHF, GPS, AIS and hopefully RADAR and RADAR reflector are functioning. Radar and VHF, AIS are often on the mast so without the mast some jury rig mounts are needed. NY approach is one of the worst places to sleep on passage.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in