Tow question in Newport, RI - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 83 Old 06-14-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Tow question in Newport, RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
For Zan's draft... West Harbor Fisher's Island works... but it's only maybe 5 hrs from Newport. Port Jeff is deep and easy to get in and out. If he can make this leg on day one... would be great... definitely need to use the currents...
88-90 miles. Big ask. At 6 knots thatís 15 hours.no matter what the currents in 15 hours you fight some so keeping 6 knots is doable.

We always figure 5.5 when traveling. By himself I would think he wants to break it up into 8-10 hr days. ( 65 mile legs) If crew...then longer of course.

On our last trip we anchored in Port Jeff ( on the starboard side after the entrance. We made it from Mystic in 10+ hours ( 55 miles) Newport would be 35 miles longer.

Port Jeff isnít the ideal place to set up to do the East River. Port Washington with its free moorings 6. Miles from the Throgs Neck is a better option IMHO. Port Jeff is 35 miles away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 06-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
What is his draft 11ft?

I was there two weeks ago and itís been newly dredged.
In my notes 1 hr after low tide I saw between 8-12 ft in the basin.
Shallower up by the town dock considerably but the basin and entrance is dredged . Also the channel in well marked
The Army Corps notes that there are 2 anchorage areas with depths of 11 ft and 6 ft, scheduled for completion last March (2018). Even allowing for the lunar cycle, Zanshinís 8.5 draft should be OK in the deeper anchorage.

The old depths still show on my Navionics charts, which are pre-2018. Nice to know the anchorage is at the intended control depths.
SanderO likes this.
post #63 of 83 Old 06-15-2019

Zan's LWL is prob in the mi 50s so he makes different daily calcs.
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #64 of 83 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations - I have bought the charts (I prefer paper charts as a backup to the chartplotter) as well as a guidebook for the LIS and will plan out my trip. While I can motor cruise at 8 knots, I prefer to use 6 knots for my calculations and planning and with the current sunrise and sunset times I might be able to do the 90 miles in pure daylight but perhaps I could do 7 knots or a bit more and give myself better light while finding my anchoring or mooring spot.

I'm still concentrating on the engine but once that is finished I'll do the trip planning.

post #65 of 83 Old 06-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
The Army Corps notes that there are 2 anchorage areas with depths of 11 ft and 6 ft, scheduled for completion last March (2018). Even allowing for the lunar cycle, Zanshinís 8.5 draft should be OK in the deeper anchorage.

The old depths still show on my Navionics charts, which are pre-2018. Nice to know the anchorage is at the intended control depths.
Yea,

The only way I would have known is the response of one of our SN members Billsull, who clued me in when I was planning our latest foray into your beautiful cruising grounds. It was in another thread

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/long-...cove-moorings-
available-old-saybrook-ct-4.html#post2051603942

He was generous also in offering his mooring to us. That gave us the confidence to stop there. Itís what good about SN...the commaradiere of people who most of us never meet in person.

North Cove Olde Saybrooke is a great 1/2 ( kind of) stopping point out of the Sound. The North Cove is a slight diversion of 2 miles, but is a safe, very protected as well as beautiful back to nature anchorage. Itís town dock with a dinghy is a close walk to town also. 50 miles to Newport, 44 miles to Port Jefferson, 55 miles to Northport (SanderO) 21 miles to Mystic, 37 miles to Block Island, 20 miles to Greenport. Perfect stopover or respite from conditions on the Sound.

Unless you can get into Mattituck like we can, itís a great stop over. We use Mattituck if we are staying in the LI forks to visit Greenport, Sag Harbor or Montauk.

North Cove is the perfect Conneticut side stopping point.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #66 of 83 Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter

North Cove looks great for an easy first day of motoring - 50-60 miles makes for short day. I'll start planning tomorrow - today the technician has been working on the engine and he and his wife just left for a late lunch in Newport while I remain aboard. We did replace a part of the pump assembly which was gummed up and broken and normally is not considered a separately orderable part, but Jesse knew how it work and had another identical pump from which he could take the part from. He got the engine fired up and running! It is still running a bit rough, but we'll get to that later; while they are off to lunch the engine is cooling down so that we can bolt on all the bits and pieces again. I am very relieved that the engine problem has been diagnosed and rectified! Now I can go and get a BoatUS tow insurance policy since that would have been immoral to do before the engine was repaired.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

post #67 of 83 Old 06-15-2019

Depending where you moor or anchor... anchoring is easier if you are single handing... we have close to a full moon which great for night sailing on the sound. Set one or two way points and leave before day break if need be. Tide/current reverses every hrs... so in a 12 hrs sail it cancels... longer legs it will matter a bit. Northport is 45 minutes in from the sound and maybe 20 minutes to the closest anchorage. Pt Jeff is much better. No need to waste time getting in and out of the harbor/anchorage. Pt Wash or City Island are both good stops before going thru hell gate. CT coast has confusing lights and not great anchorages... Thimbles are OK... there are moorings.. and good holding. Well marked going in and out. It's pretty too.

Last edited by SanderO; 06-17-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #68 of 83 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Engine status update: I ended up giving up on the Mercury/Mercruiser service. They weren't really interested and I'd heard on the grapevine that they'd perhaps lost their diesel expert.

I used Google and some online forums to find Jesse at https://www.banchwerks.com/ who was willing to come aboard and work on the engine. He identified the pump from the picture I'd sent and we ordered a new replacement pump for $1500 rather than the $5000 that Mercruiser wanted; in addition this pump would arrive in 2 days rather than the 2 weeks that Mercury wanted.

When he arrived onboard with the pump we discovered that while the pump body is identical, his only had 4 output rather than the 5 that I needed. It turns out that the 5-cylinder TDI 2,5 was never exported to the US market. Nevertheless he did take my pump apart (using a Dremel to get a "security" bolt open) and we discovered that the top end was gummed up with some diesel sludge - not bacterial stuff but more likely a gelled up old diesel mixture. This had also caused two shorts in the assebly. I got out my soldering gear and made a quick solder-bridge but after replacing this part the engine still refused to run.

Since everything apart from the output is identical to other TDI pumps he said he'd return with an old unused pump from which we could take the top. Two days later he replaced it and once the engine was put together again it fired right up!

Unfortunately, it only revs to 1150RPM and at certain settings it is very rough running. I used 12 bottles of https://products.liqui-moly.com/diesel-purge-2.html in my tank, which only had about 80l of fuel in it, to see if that might shake something loose but it hasn't worked yet.

So I ordered a refurbished pump from a seller on eBay Germany and paid $200 shipping to DHL for a 1-3 Day service. That didn't work out well, despite taking my money for expedited shipping it will take 6-7 days (they sent it to the wrong transfer depot in Germany...) and once the pump arrives we'll get it installed.

On a side note, the turbocharger wasn't moving. I removed it (messy, since the coolant goes through there and 3-4 liters of it drains when you open the seal) and after 2 hours finally got it off and saw how badly the exhaust side was gummed up with carbon deposits. I never ran the engine at high RPMs under load and I really should have!

I used a recommended method of soaking it in oven cleaner overnight and that did the trick of loosening it up enough to allow me move the vanes - and after re-installing it the exhaust got it moving even better.

Last edited by Zanshin; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:57 PM. Reason: corrected URLs
post #69 of 83 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Update - the pump arrived after 8 days and was installed yesterday. That seems to have done some good, but the engine still doesn't rev as it should. But at least we've got 1800 RPM and can hear the whine of the smoothly running turbocharger.
SanderO likes this.

post #70 of 83 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Update - the pump arrived after 8 days and was installed yesterday. That seems to have done some good, but the engine still doesn't rev as it should. But at least we've got 1800 RPM and can hear the whine of the smoothly running turbocharger.
Is the tach reading properly? Mine went south and reads about 2/3 of the actual RPM as tested with a laser tach. I sensed something was off when I was motoring at close to hull speed and the rev counter read 1400.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in