Professional lookers ( not buyers) - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 06-01-2019

Re: Professional lookers ( not buyers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Have a guy visiting the second time tomorrow - wanted to go for a sail - nixed that - told him we can put up sails , run engine but that's it - not giving joy rides for a boat that I am asking $3,500 for - pus the guy has not checked about available slips yet - which is the biggest hurdle - finding a boat is easy - finding a good slip at a good price - hard - I have a feeling that he might want to buy boat but can't afford slip.

I have the boat in Sailboatlistings also - no bites - listed a couple of boats before there - maybe one response - seems to be for broker type boats - people looking for deals go to CL - Facebook has Marketplace and a number of pages for sailboat sales - but the listings don't change much - a lot of lookers from all over the country but not many serious buyers.
One of the local guys selling his boat that is moored close to mine faced the same dilemma, solved it by agreeing wholeheartedly, with the stipulation that the cost for a half day cruise was $100.00, payable in advance, that would be deducted from the purchase price should they buy it. Got rid of the looky loos very quickly . He did sell it, after a while but this approach saved him a whole lot of time showing the boat to people that were never going to buy it anyway.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 06-01-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Looks like I sold the boat to the first person who looked - they wanted a sail but I nixed it - but they did a good examination - unfurled sails , ran engine - I priced it very low so I figured they did not want it to get away. Sold through CL - thank goodness not too many nutjobs.

Already put deposit on next boat - wife does not have a clue - if she thinks the boat is different once I swap them out of the slip - I will just tell her she is confused and not a boat expert.
Arcb likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 06-01-2019
Rainwatcher

I feel sorry for you.

If I had a wife I needed to lie to, I'd move on.
Don0190 likes this.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

post #24 of 27 Old 06-02-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

I've had both kinds (country and western)...
People who call and not show has been rare.
But I've had tire kickers that honestly don't have a clue on value, or just want to put in a lowball offer to see if they could get a bargain
and I've had people drive insanely far to come look and purchase from me (and frankly I have done the same).

My deal is, cash or nothing. If its under $10,000 then I want cash and I expect to pay cash myself for same.

I had one lady (from whom I purchased my S2 7.9), who was astonished I brought cash with me when I drove from PA to MI. I was like, I just drove 14 hours to buy your boat, I am either paying you and taking it home or I'm leaving without a boat, this isn't a, well lemme go home and talk to my wife about it kind of thing (all stuff I told her when I was leaving to come see it). When I handed her, I believe $8000 in cash she was nearly panicked that she had to put it in the bank immediately. She was concerned someone was going to steal it or something. I was like, most drug dealers wouldn't even get out of bed for a sale that small.

Anyway. I think buyers of used items, cars, boats, houses are all a shifty lot, and one must put "constraints" on your tolerance of it.
The phrase "time is money" is lost on these people and the fact that you must wait around on a Saturday/Sunday for hours to show them a boat/car/house for them to just be "looky loos" is a huge loss of your money/time, and that is the rude nature of some folks.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #25 of 27 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Sailing is my thing not my wife's , she could care less if I have Sunfish or 40 footer - she is just not a boat person, which is fine with me - my post was written a bit tongue in cheek - I suggest Jammer stick to commenting on sailing not on other peoples relationships.
post #26 of 27 Old 06-03-2019
Rainwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Sailing is my thing not my wife's , she could care less if I have Sunfish or 40 footer - she is just not a boat person, which is fine with me - my post was written a bit tongue in cheek - I suggest Jammer stick to commenting on sailing not on other peoples relationships.
Sore spot, I see. I don't blame you.

I was commenting on what you said. Did you lie?

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
post #27 of 27 Old 06-03-2019

What a useless net troll...still allowed on this forum.
Jeez.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in