Professional lookers ( not buyers) - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Professional lookers ( not buyers)

Maybe this is a Florida thing - but it seems there are a lot of professional sailboat lookers out there - they claim to be buyers but once a price is agreed to they disappear - I don't know if its cold feet or they just enjoy making offers and not following through - boats sold through CR or other on line sites - I assume its different if boat is listed with a broker - have sold a lot of sailboats over the years and its just a strange phenomenon - maybe they just like the hunt but when it comes time to come up with the money - they move on. This is on boats $15K and under - sorry just venting a bit - its about 1 hour 15 minutes to my boat - so I always try to make sure they are serious.

Last edited by cdy; 05-30-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-30-2019

Re: Professional lookers ( not buyers)

Shopping several boats and want to see the bottom line price on each?
post #3 of 27 Old 05-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
...they just enjoy making offers and not following through...
Which is why serious offers come with a down payment. It's not really an "offer," it's just a conversation, until a down payment is made, and a contract is signed.
titustiger27 likes this.

post #4 of 27 Old 05-30-2019

This sounds similar to what happened to me when I was selling all my stuff out of the house ... lots of people would contact me asking about a toaster oven or chairs or whatever, and claim interest only to disappear without a trace later. I had people asking me to meet them 1/2 way with the item (because they didn't want to drive so far) ... I quit doing that after the first time I got stood up.

I don't understand it, personally. But it seems to be a thing where people go through the motions but don't actually bother to pull the trigger.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

Years ago was selling a sailboat in Jax FL - a guy from Tampa swore up and down he wanted the boat - the price was right , he had the cash and he was heading my way - about a 3 hour drive - he called me 2.5 hours later and said he was 30 minutes out and would see me shortly - he never showed - never responded - figure he either died in car crash or wife got through to him at last minute and threatened to kill him. My sailboats tend to be in expensive _ under $10K - no contract - whoever brings the cash first gets the boat.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-30-2019

To play devil's advocate, I'm on the other end of this discussion as a buyer. Looking in the $50 -$100k range. I've driven three hours one way to look at a prospective boat based upon the pictures and description only to find that the pictures were at least several years old an in no way represented the current condition of the boat. I guess there could be a discussion with the owner and asking them to provide a current set of pictures that show "proof of life" with for example, today's newspaper in the photos. And there are usually clues in the descriptions. Anyone listing equipment or sails as "NEW in 2008" is trying to be manipulative. The casual reader will remember NEW when in fact these sails could be beyond their service life. I would simply prefer the description to read sails, good condition or serviceable...something like that.

I see both sides. So what is the solution?
denverd0n and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-30-2019
bell ringer

Well:

If your boat was on one of the bluewater boat "lists" or in a "book", in excellent condition, has all the newest best "toys", a new engine, new sails, stocked with cold beer, was priced 20% below any similar listed boat, and you accepted 60% of the asking price right up front, ...................................... it might sell to the 20th "I want a boat to sail around the world next month, but have never sailed" guy ............................................. IF you threw in the desired sexual favor by bending over and taking it.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 Old 05-30-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

cdy-
I used to get upset when people flaked out, but then I decided "he either died in car crash" that's what usually is happening. I have much more faith in people now, I just KNOW there's a good reason they don't show up. Or call back. Or whatever they did.

I'm just glad I don't get invited to the funerals. Saves wear on the suit & dress shoes.

Which is actually how I got involved in bigger boat racing years ago. Got a call Friday evening from a friend who crewed for someone, saying he couldn't make it tomorrow would I be interested in taking his place? Called the owner, showed up on time the next day, got told the problem was that folks just didn't show up and he needed commitments for the whole series, could I do that? Yup. Just showing up *counts*. Fewer and fewer people seem to grasp that these days.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-30-2019
Master Mariner

We are really flabbergasted by those who will engage us in an email dialog that might last over a week about a potential charter, and then they are gone, never to be heard from again.
I am extremely conscientious about terminating an email conversation that I chose not to continue with an email thanking that email person for their time and explaining I'd rather go a different way or whatever.
Isn't that just common courtesy, or am I expecting too much from people these days?
Sal Paradise likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 27 Old 05-30-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

I try not to look at any boat that I am not seriously interested in - I might look at lots on line, email a few with questions and look at a couple - knowing I have the cash ready and if I really like ready to buy - I came across a Pearson 34 with shallow draft close to my existing boat ( a Pearson 30) the boat in pics was on the hard - the bottom was recently done , in the pics, and the boat was said ready to go - it did have a newer engine - but got there - in a slip with a small reef growing on it, stanchions were leaking , a bulkhead had rot - the centerboard pin needed replaced - means dropping a 600lb centerboard to fix - all of this was evident in 5 minutes - would not have bothered if was upfront in the ad - ended up wasting both of our time. So I guess I am in a bad place - trying to sell one boat then buy another - without wasting a lot of time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in