Is this a good place to anchor a boat? - SailNet Community
 45Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

Hello all, not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions. I am looking at picking up my first boat. It is a free 1975 C&C 25 no engine. I do not know how to sail and decided that if I did pick it up I would make an adventure of it. The boat is in an anchorage in the Chesapeake Bay. I want to sail it around to and up the Delaware River to the Philadelphia area where I reside. I can not afford a marina currently. I would like to keep the boat in an anchorage long term. The first question I have is what exactly is defined as an anchorage? The second question I have is a bit more specific. On this chart would the area near fisher point dike be a good place to anchor a boat? It's secluded and has practically no traffic and is deep enough for the boat. I am also guessing that the island and the peninsula would keep the rolling waves to a minimum. I will probably only keep the boat there for a week or two at a time with no movement.

Edit: I can not link the chart. It was a depth chart for the area. Fisher Point Dike is near Petty Island which is next to Philadelphia.

Last edited by bobbyjones; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM.
bobbyjones is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 19,245
Thanks: 82
Thanked 541 Times in 518 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

Welcome aboard.

I'm afraid your question is a little hard to understand. You said you don't know how to sail and the boat has no engine. Finding a long term anchorage is not the problem. Maybe a little more clarity on your plan would help. Leaving a boat at anchor is a risky idea, if you're not familiar with anchors, scope, rode, chafe, etc.

p.s. there is no such thing as a free boat. What condition is she in and why was she given away?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #3 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
SanderO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northport, NY
Posts: 2,956
Thanks: 2
Thanked 79 Times in 79 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

Not wise to leave an unattended boat anchor for long periods of time.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
SanderO is online now  
 
post #4 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 19,245
Thanks: 82
Thanked 541 Times in 518 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Not wise to leave an unattended boat anchor for long periods of time.
That's true, although, it is done. I would not do it.

The bigger issue, it seems, is if one can't afford a slip or a mooring, they will never be able to afford a "free" boat. Free boats almost always needs thousands of dollars in repairs, many of which are not obvious to those who've never owned one before. If it's being handed down from a trusted Grandfather, that may be the exception. Not usually the case with "free" finds.
SanderO likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #5 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
PhilCarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 300
Thanks: 5
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Dock
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

Welcome Bobby,

Plenty of New England sailors here that know the area.

Strongly suggest you learn a bit about sailing, or bring along someone with good experience who can teach you, or you could well get into more 'adventure' than you bargained for. That's a long trip, and you're going to need a motor.

Also; TowBoat US GOLD towing insurance. Because an uninsured tow can be financially catastrophic.

Finally, a free sailboat is something like a free puppy, only much larger and needier, and will chew up much more than your shoes.
Chas H likes this.
PhilCarlson is online now  
post #6 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
denverd0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,358
Thanks: 1
Thanked 48 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

There is an old saying along the lines of, "A 'free' boat is the most expensive boat you'll ever own." This is an old, and well-known saying for a very good reason. You are soon going to find out the reason.

All I can say is, good luck, because you're going to need it!
denverd0n is offline  
post #7 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,689
Thanks: 1
Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

A couple of thoughts. That's New Jersey ( Pennsauken). It's not a " designated anchorage" but, it's navigable waters, so I'm no aware of any laws that would prevent you from anchoring there. ( That's not to say, that someone won't take issue) I'd certainly make sure the boat was properly registered and insured and has all the required equipment aboard. Because someone will be checking you out. ( N.J. State Police, Marine Division, or Coast Guard.) I'd also make sure I had tow insurance.

Getting up river and in to that anchorage would be quite a feat without an engine. What would you do when there's no wind, drift with the current? Anchor and wait? How would you get to and from the boat at at anchorage ? Dinghy? Where would you store it or launch it from?

There's a yacht club further up the river. Riverton Yacht Club. I believe a member here, Denise, was/is a member there. She would have the best " Local Knowledge" for you. AFAIK, Riverton YC offers moorings for rent. Looks like $1220 for the Season + a dinghy storage fee. $250 for winter Storage, and about $1,000 to become a member ( $600 initiation fee, $490 membership fee.) Might want to look in to that. works out to about $ 166/mo. After the initiation fee. Or $5.50/day. The price of a Starbucks coffee.

Good Luck. I've only sailed in that area once, it wasn't all that much fun. ( narrow river, strong currents, traffic ) I'd probably leave it in the Chesapeake and drive to and from the boat.
tempest is online now  
post #8 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Welcome aboard.

I'm afraid your question is a little hard to understand. You said you don't know how to sail and the boat has no engine. Finding a long term anchorage is not the problem. Maybe a little more clarity on your plan would help. Leaving a boat at anchor is a risky idea, if you're not familiar with anchors, scope, rode, chafe, etc.

p.s. there is no such thing as a free boat. What condition is she in and why was she given away?
I know there is no such thing as a free boat. I have done a ton of research and understand the costs associated with repairing a boat. But I like to find projects and fix them. I have a full fleet of cars I've brought back from the dead. The plan to just have a boat that I can fix up and restore while also exploring the coast before school is back in session. I do not have a job so I have nothing preventing me from sailing every day. As such I will not be leaving the boat unattended for very long during the summer. Before school starts, I will most likely have the boat pulled out of the water. Essentially I am fine with being in a cosmetically unpleasing boat if it means I get to explore the coast and gain experience. I am young and up for a fun and potentially dangerous adventure.
bobbyjones is offline  
post #9 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 850
Thanks: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

If you proceed with this notion, in addition to towing insurance you should have adequate life insurance. Sailing 25' boat around the Delmarva peninsula and up the Delaware is way beyond your skill level. Check with Pennsauken officials 609-292-2965 regarding anchoring between Pettys island and the mainland.
Hudsonian is online now  
post #10 of 98 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Is this a good place to anchor a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
A couple of thoughts. That's New Jersey ( Pennsauken). It's not a " designated anchorage" but, it's navigable waters, so I'm no aware of any laws that would prevent you from anchoring there. ( That's not to say, that someone won't take issue) I'd certainly make sure the boat was properly registered and insured and has all the required equipment aboard. Because someone will be checking you out. ( N.J. State Police, Marine Division, or Coast Guard.) I'd also make sure I had tow insurance.

Getting up river and in to that anchorage would be quite a feat without an engine. What would you do when there's no wind, drift with the current? Anchor and wait? How would you get to and from the boat at at anchorage ? Dinghy? Where would you store it or launch it from?

There's a yacht club further up the river. Riverton Yacht Club. I believe a member here, Denise, was/is a member there. She would have the best " Local Knowledge" for you. AFAIK, Riverton YC offers moorings for rent. Looks like $1220 for the Season + a dinghy storage fee. $250 for winter Storage, and about $1,000 to become a member ( $600 initiation fee, $490 membership fee.) Might want to look in to that. works out to about $ 166/mo. After the initiation fee. Or $5.50/day. The price of a Starbucks coffee.

Good Luck. I've only sailed in that area once, it wasn't all that much fun. ( narrow river, strong currents, traffic ) I'd probably leave it in the Chesapeake and drive to and from the boat.
I was actually contemplating leaving it in the Chesapeake. It is just a bit of a longer drive for something I want to use extensively. I will be using a lightweight kayak to go from the boat to shore. It is something that is easy to carry. The location I was asking about is walking distance to my home. And for marinas, I think most do not have any open spots. The ones I checked didn't have open spots at least. And as for sailing up the river. I have actually been doing research on how to accomplish that. Common sense tells me that the wind would go the same direction as the current in a river. Which from my research would suggest that I would have to do some tacking and such to sail upriver. I was assuming that the Delaware River was wide enough for such a thing. But apparently, my common sense is no good. It is very well possible for the wind to blow a direction that doesn't follow the current. Which would make the trip much easier if my research is correct. If the wind stops I would either anchor or row depending on how I am feeling lol.
bobbyjones is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome