Any Lake sailors out there? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 06-01-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: Any Lake sailors out there?

OMG everything looks so much faster against the water!

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 06-01-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

I have to say Pymatuning was a great lake I sailed there maybe 4 times. We camped at James Town and sailed in a storm out to that Causeway. My GPS had me at 16 knots averaging our whole way up and back. I had like 6 Hobie dudes with me they weren't too impressed. but I will take 16kts any day! But I Know they were they just couldn't say. LOL everyone was worried about a thunder but my video here is Moraine Lake

Minnesail and Arcb like this.

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
post #13 of 31 Old 06-01-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

I have to say Pymatuning was a great lake I sailed there maybe 4 times. We camped at James Town and sailed in a storm out to that Causeway. My GPS had me at 16 knots averaging our whole way up and back. I had like 6 Hobie dudes with me they weren't too impressed. but I will take 16kts any day! But I Know they were they just couldn't say. LOL everyone was worried about a thunder but my video here is Moraine Lake

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""

Last edited by ImASonOfaSailor; 06-01-2019 at 08:49 AM.

post #14 of 31 Old 06-01-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Another good one at Moraine!

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

post #15 of 31 Old 06-01-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasome View Post
Hey SonofaSailor, we are probably pretty close together. Getting out for the first time this week as well, probably West Branch. I'm kind of new to this, so going to get some learning in on the local reservoir before heading up North. How is Pymatuning? Fished there a few times, but never sailed. Fair winds!

Pymatuning is WINDY and nice if you can sail there you are ready to head another Hour North and go to Lake Erie! It is open and gets some good winds that are constant good luck, the lake that is close to my house takes me 30min to get there. It has huge trees that have grown up over the years and it does mess up the wind flow i think

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

post #16 of 31 Old 06-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
OMG everything looks so much faster against the water!

Not sure which you’re talking about, but the Thistle I posted above will plane in less than 10 knots, and is downright frightening in the high teens. As Doug put it on the SA forum, “The Thistle's best quality is it's light air performance. Unbeatable. The boat simply doesn't need wind, it chugs along at 3 to 4 knots when the water is like glass and cigarette smoke is going straight up.”

Cruisers and cats at the lake are routinely annoyed when I go zipping by on a still day, while they’re sitting and baking in the calm. They make awesome lake boats, thanks to that light air performance, but that low boom can be dangerous with auto jibes on shifty days.

Don’t even think about taking one out when it’s blowing over 20, though.
post #17 of 31 Old 06-01-2019

I live in Eastern PA, and was invited to join family next month to camp near Shenango River Lake near Sharon, PA. Has anyone sailed on Shenango River Lake? Is it worth bringing my GP 14 sailing dinghy with me? I can't seem to find any mention of Shenango sailing anywhere. Thanks.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Show me your PICS? I am always thinking I want to live by the Ocean and sail in a Bay area, but I don't see how I would move anytime soon.

Look at real estate prices in the Bay, that should quickly deflate that fantasy. I grew up in the Bay and could not afford to return. If the RE prices don't dissuade you, go visit and try driving during rush hour.

I live in the Mountains and just rigged my boat this last weekend now that the ice has melted. A lake 3 hours from me has a yacht club and I plan on being a lake sailor this summer. No shots of the boat on the water yet still need to fine tune the rigging. Here is shots of our campsite with Bear Lake in the background and a shot of the boat with mast raising rig.
Attached Thumbnails
20190530_081432.jpg   20190530_063134.jpg  
Arcb likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #19 of 31 Old 06-01-2019

Here are some lake sailing clips of my trailer sailer. The boat is a Bay Hen 21. The Lakes in the clip are Lake Opinicon, Big Rideau Lake and Lake Ontario. She is an interesting boat to sail; no keel, no ballast, so you kind of sail her like a big dinghy.

titustiger27 and Minnesail like this.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-01-2019
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
How's the sailing around there?

I really want to get out there someday, either trailering my little boat or (more likely) chartering one out of Sturgeon Bay.
Sailing on Green Bay is great. Lots of pretty anchorages. Cute towns with marinas. Most of the towns have festivals at some point in the summer. We keep our boat in Sturgeon Bay in the summer, then get back down to Milwaukee for the winter. Someday I want to do some fall cruising in Door County.
Minnesail likes this.

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in