Any Lake sailors out there? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 06-03-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Re: Any Lake sailors out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Look at real estate prices in the Bay, that should quickly deflate that fantasy. I grew up in the Bay and could not afford to return. If the RE prices don't dissuade you, go visit and try driving during rush hour.

I live in the Mountains and just rigged my boat this last weekend now that the ice has melted. A lake 3 hours from me has a yacht club and I plan on being a lake sailor this summer. No shots of the boat on the water yet still need to fine tune the rigging. Here is shots of our campsite with Bear Lake in the background and a shot of the boat with mast raising rig.
Looks like an Awesome back drop!

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 06-03-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Froehlich View Post
I live in Eastern PA, and was invited to join family next month to camp near Shenango River Lake near Sharon, PA. Has anyone sailed on Shenango River Lake? Is it worth bringing my GP 14 sailing dinghy with me? I can't seem to find any mention of Shenango sailing anywhere. Thanks.
I looked this river up and it is in between Lake Arthur Moraine Where I sail and Pymatuning, I see only Fishing there I looked it up and looked on Youtube, I see only power boats.

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
post #23 of 31 Old 06-03-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Here is our day June 1st it was close to being whitecaps but no luck!

Arcb likes this.

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

post #24 of 31 Old 06-03-2019

Any Lake sailors out there?

Guys, if youre waiting until June to hit the lakes, youve already missed more than half of the really good lake sailing for the year. I sail more in April and May, and then again in September and October, than I do all summer.

At least around here, the mid-summer sailing is hot and slow, with too little wind. I dont want to drift at 6 knots in 90F sun in mid-July. Our best wind is March and April, if youre willing to brave a capsize in 40F water and 50F air. The photo I posted above was taken late March or early April.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-03-2019

^^^ I am more than happy to sail a mono hull with snow and ice, but small multi hulls are a whole different experience. Words that come to mind when I think of sailing small multis in shoulder seasons include; cold, wet and hypothermia.

Here is my Beach Cat on Lake Deschennes in October. We are wearing; under layer, thermal layer, dry suits and helmets to stay warm.

post #26 of 31 Old 06-03-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
^^^ I am more than happy to sail a mono hull with snow and ice, but small multi hulls are a whole different experience. Words that come to mind when I think of sailing small multis in shoulder seasons include; cold, wet and hypothermia.

Here is my Beach Cat on Lake Deschennes in October. We are wearing; under layer, thermal layer, dry suits and helmets to stay warm.

Beach Cat, Wet Ride, Prindle 16 - YouTube

Looks like in that Catamaran video your dumping a lot of air there! LOL My cat is 21 foot and weights like 900 bls its almost 13 foot wide I can take some winds! 25+ is when I start to say " I will sit this one out! I don't wanna flip mine LOL
Arcb likes this.

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

post #27 of 31 Old 06-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Looks like in that Catamaran video your dumping a lot of air there!
Ya, it's hard to see, but at the very start of that video the rope on my trap ring broke. Very nearly went for a swim, but I had one hand on the jib sheet and the other on the trap handle. We were cooking before that happened.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-03-2019

Quote:
Looks like an Awesome back drop!
Pictures don't do it justice. The water color is a rare turquoise. Our campsite had a Bald Eagle Nest with a young one in it. The best part is my wife really enjoyed it also. Let's hope my dogs like sailing. I will post some more photos as I get back out sailing this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Bear Lake.jpg  

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #29 of 31 Old 06-04-2019 Thread Starter
Captain John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Pictures don't do it justice. The watercolor is a rare turquoise. Our campsite had a Bald Eagle Nest with a young one in it. The best part is my wife really enjoyed it also. Let's hope my dogs like sailing. I will post some more photos as I get back out sailing this summer.
WOw that is Blue where is that at?

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

post #30 of 31 Old 06-04-2019

Quote:
WOw that is Blue where is that at?
Bear Lake Utah. The lake actually straddles Utah and Idaho. It is pretty cool and my wife is excited to spend time there this summer. My local lake is even more impressive but my buoy fell through this summer so I will sail Bear Lake this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
120817-jackson-lake-sailing-grand-teton-910x512.jpg  

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in