Any Lake sailors out there? - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Any Lake sailors out there?

Show me your PICS? I am always thinking I want to live by the Ocean and sail in a Bay area, but I don't see how I would move anytime soon. Wife and her good job she is afraid to leave it. She is an accountant for a law firm. I am just an IT guy trying to stay working. I do have a Masters Captian license. Not sure if I will ever use it.

But I sail on Lake Erie and a small lake mostly. We are starting our season this weekend will be our first sail of the year, kinda sux to say. I know a lot of you living south must have been sailing since January? Our small lake is like 30min. from home and it is a ****ty shifty gusty lake.
But I like to be on the water Saturday looks like they are calling for 12s and I am sure there will be gusts up to 20, so the first sail will be getting feet wet again day and dogging storms!
jwoytek, Minnesail and Arcb like this.

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old soul

Re: Any Lake sailors out there?

There are quite a few Great Lakes sailors on these here inter-webs. I spent most of my sailing life on the upper Lakes (Georgian Bay, North Channel and mainly Superior), but also lingered a few years in Ontario and passed through Erie.

Theres lots of good sailing and cruising to be done in GL waters.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Any Lake sailors out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Our small lake is like 30min. from home and it is a ****ty shifty gusty lake.
We must be neighbors! My lake is also a ****ty shifty gusty place to sail, but it does keep you on your toes, and makes a better dinghy sailor out of anyone who frequents those conditions.

Id prefer to spend every weekend in open water, but like you, its just not the reality of my situation. A bad day on the lake still beats a good day almost anywhere else. I try to schedule my weekends to hit peak wind, for the few hours I get with the boat, each week.

At least we have a good sail club, with several racing fleets, and it still beats river racing.

Last edited by DinghyRace; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:33 AM.

post #4 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hey SonofaSailor, we are probably pretty close together. Getting out for the first time this week as well, probably West Branch. I'm kind of new to this, so going to get some learning in on the local resevoirs before heading up North. How is Pymatuning? Fished there a few times, but never sailed. Fair winds!
ImASonOfaSailor likes this.
post #5 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago

The little lake I'm on has shifty winds as well. And given how small the lake is you rarely go more than ten minutes without tacking.

I love getting out on bigger boats on bigger water, but it's also nice having my boat only two miles away. I launched a week ago and I've been out 5 of those 7 days. That wouldn't happen if I had to drive several hours.

Someday I'll have a bigger boat on bigger water, when my job and life allow more time for traveling. But for now I'm happy to be a small lake sailor, with one or two charters a year on bigger water.

oysterman23, Arcb and DinghyRace like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #6 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Barquito

This is a boat we bought for about as much as a nights rent for the cabin we were staying in. Very small lake. Tons of fun. Sold the boat the next spring for same price we bought it for.

Another small boat on a much larger lake (Washington Island, Door Co., Lake Michigan)

oysterman23 and Minnesail like this.

Valiant 32

Last edited by Barquito; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:06 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Another small boat on a much larger lake (Washington Island, Door Co., Lake Michigan)
How's the sailing around there?

I really want to get out there someday, either trailering my little boat or (more likely) chartering one out of Sturgeon Bay.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Above 5 knots

Dock

Just a few of us out here. Lake Wallenpaupack, northeast Pennsylvania. Paupack Sailing Club, just the best group of sailors!
Attached Thumbnails
19023263_1915864578438989_1909198023089368718_o.jpg   1a744a5514918186d104a1a5fe7c0d00c5c9e9e3-1.jpeg  
Minnesail and DinghyRace like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #9 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Above 5 knots

Dock

Define gusty :P Watch heel angle as I am beating upwind, with a 104% and a reef on my Wavelength. GOD I love how that boat sails.
Sorry for the scallops on the headsail in this, last time I use yachtbraid for halyards stretch like a rubber band.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #10 of 31 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I am a lake sailor. For vacations a week or more, I trailer my trailer sailer to bigger lakes or the ocean, but for day sailing my local lake is gusty, fluky, shallow and weedy. Its not even really a lake, more just a widening in the river, so there is a current too. Its also 3 quarters of a mile from home.

I usually get out sailing on it about once a week starting end of March or beginning or April though and I have a blast. There are is a free public boat launch (gravel) a marina and a couple of beaches with picnic shelters.

I would guess its about 4 square miles. I shot this video on Monday.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in