CS27 rigging - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

CS27 rigging

I went to put the mainsail on my CS27, all the halyards exit the top of the mast towards the bow except the topping lift. Is this normal? I assume the halyard with a cable is the one for the main.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190601_135339484.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-02-2019

Re: CS27 rigging

Sounds like you are missing a main halyard or you just don't have it figured out. A halyard if it has wire likely has wire on half and rope on the other half. The wire is for sail side the rope for the handling side. If one halyard has all rope, your boat has been modernized at least on that halyard.

https://linkhumans.com/cross-post-social-media/

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-02-2019

No, the main halyard should definitely exit the back of the mast. If there is only one rope exiting the back that is most likely your main halyard not a topping lift. (Many people use the main halyard to support the boom when the sails are down.)

Post a close up pic of your masthead and we may be able to see what's what.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 15 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

I took a picture of the mast top with my phone but you canít see anything clearly. I need a better camera and my binocs. I know my boat has a dedicated topping lift. The shackle on the topping lift is lighter weight than mainsail shackle. I think the main halyard got moved to the front of the mast when the marina stepped the mast.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh27 View Post
I think the main halyard got moved to the front of the mast when the marina stepped the mast.
Did the marina restring the mast or was the running rigging left in place? If left in place the yard would have had to have let slip the one halyard and restring it wrong for that to happen. If they rigged it wrong the yard should rerun your halyard for you.

I was unable to see your photo earlier but it looks like you got two wire-rope halyards and one all rope. I am going to guess the all rope will be the topping lift. Do both wire halyards exit from the front of the mast?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

The running rigging was left in place. The topping lift is wire from the mast top to the boom end, it exits the back of the mast and rope from the bottom of the mast to the cleat. The same for what I believe is the main halyard. There are three halyards that exit the front of the mast, one halfway up the mast which should be for the spinnaker pole halyard and two exit the top of the mast.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-02-2019

I am guessing that the two that exit forward at the top of the mast are the jib halyard and spinnaker halyard. The one that exits forward part way up is the spinnaker pole lift. If that only leaves one exiting the top and aft, that has to be the main halyard.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

OK , there are two that exit aft, one is non-adjustable, I didn't know what it was for. So I think I have a non-adjustable topping lift and the main halyard, they are both attached to the end of the boom in the image. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190601_140419919.jpg  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-02-2019

The wire to rope halyard could be either jib or main. If the boat is rigged like all boats should be rigged, the main halyard would exit the stbd side of the mast at the lower end and the jib halyards on the port side.

Most spinnaker halyards are hoisted on a block on a crane on the forward part of the mast. If the spinnaker halyard is internal it would normally come out of a slot on the forward side of the mast below the masthead proper then up to a block. when I say crane mean a support for the spinnaker block forward of all the other lines at the mast head. It could be a flat plate screwed to the top of the masthead, an extension of the mast head casting, etc. Spinnakers are flown so the halyard block is forward of the headstay.

It's not impossible that the wire halyard exiting out the back of the masthead is the topping lift but most have the bitter end run through a block at the aft end of the boom and sheeted off on the boom. Not always the case but the most common. The usual give away for a topping lift is plastic coated wire to cut down on abrasion/chafe with the main sail leech. If the wire is not plastic coated, would bet it's your main halyard especially if it exits the mast on the stbd side.
jephotog likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-04-2019

Looks like you have a fixed topping lift, and a halyard. They probably attached them both to the end of the boom for safety's sake in case the topping lift broke/loosened in storage. Anyhow, the line with the D ring on it is your halyard. It will run out the port bottom rear of the mast and then get wrapped around the port cabin top winch. If you don't have any reefing lines led back, (meaning you now reef and cleat at the mast), this winch will only have one duty, so you can leave the halyard wrapped on it.

The starboard cabin top winch will raise your jib.

The white line in the boom slot is your outhaul, you should have some cleats on your boom to harden that up.

Last edited by Ninefingers; 06-04-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in