Solar Ventilation - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

Solar Ventilation

Hey all,

I have a Mirage 27' that I'll be living on for the summer. I'm looking to better the ventilation as there is currently nothing on board. I've been looking at the solar vents and I'm hoping someone else has experience with these and could help me.

First, For the size of my boat, would a 3" or 4" be recommend?

Second, should I set it up to blow air in, or suck it out? I'm hesitant to set it up to suck air out because I don't want it to draw air from the engine compartment.

I know that there is more that I could do. Ideally, I'd have two of these, one perhaps blowing in the vee birth hatch, and the other sucking out (in the main cabin). However, I'm going to do this one step at a time.

Alternatively I could have some passive vents with the solar blowing out, I suppose.

Anyway, just bouncing around some ideas and seeing what people have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-02-2019

Re: Solar Ventilation

I assume that you wouldn't be relying on this for ventilation while the motor is running, would you?
post #3 of 19 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

no, I actually replaced the proper blower for that today because the previous one was sounding a little squeaky. This upgrade described here is just for moisture/cooling purposes.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-02-2019

But you stated that you don't want it to suck air out of the engine compartment, what is the problem if the motor isn't hot?
post #5 of 19 Old 06-02-2019 Thread Starter

The engine compartment is just a smelly place. If I'm sucking air out of the saloon, it has to come in somewhere. Some will come in from the companionway as it's not perfectly sealed, but I fear some would also come from the engine compartment as well.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-02-2019

Those are really small and will not move many CFM. How hot is it where you are at?
post #7 of 19 Old 06-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorharris View Post
Hey all,

I have a Mirage 27' that I'll be living on for the summer. I'm looking to better the ventilation as there is currently nothing on board. I've been looking at the solar vents and I'm hoping someone else has experience with these and could help me.

First, For the size of my boat, would a 3" or 4" be recommend?

Second, should I set it up to blow air in, or suck it out? I'm hesitant to set it up to suck air out because I don't want it to draw air from the engine compartment.

I know that there is more that I could do. Ideally, I'd have two of these, one perhaps blowing in the vee birth hatch, and the other sucking out (in the main cabin). However, I'm going to do this one step at a time.

Alternatively I could have some passive vents with the solar blowing out, I suppose.

Anyway, just bouncing around some ideas and seeing what people have to say.

Hi, I have 3 on my 32 footer, 2 pushing air in and one sucking out. No smells or mould at all on the boat. When I bought the boat it had the three already fitted but they were old nicro that were falling apart so I thought, yeah replace like with like, WRONG, the later nicro really are in my experience absolute POS. Look for something that is fairly well constructed and if possible find creditable product reviews. Rant over.
Anyway, to answer the question, yes they do work but you will need at least two. I have 3 inch size on mine.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.

Last edited by Uncle Bob the 1st; 06-02-2019 at 11:35 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-04-2019

My boat has two 3Ē Nicro fans pulling air out of the head and galley, respectively. There are 2 more 4Ē Nicro fans pulling air out of the lazarette, which is connected to the quarter berths via screened ports. There is a proper electric fan to ventilate the engine compartment.

Iíve replaced the Nicro fans over the years, and the original NiCd batteries donít last forever. Donít know if the new one use better batteries. I have no complaint about the Nicros, unlike a previous poster. Weíve had the Nicros for 23 years.

I rely on the Nicros to keep air moving and minimize boat mold, odors,and help remove moisture when cooking, but they are not appropriate for cooling. For cooling you would need to use regular 12 V fans, such as Caframos
post #9 of 19 Old 06-04-2019

Sorry to waste your time, I didn't think about engine odours being a problem. But I'm curious. Is this ventilation to cool in the summer or for removing condensation in the winter?
post #10 of 19 Old 06-04-2019 Thread Starter

Its never a waste of time talking about boats :-)

its moreso to cool in the summer. When I leave my boat for 6 hours or so its quite warm inside. I'm just looking to get a little bit of air circulation while I'm not there and the companionway is closed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in