Topside Name Lettering - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 06-05-2019

Re: Topside Name Lettering

Doubt there is any regulation on a name for a non documented boat, it's the State's Registration Numbers that are regulated. You can't sail the boat on the same tack so as to keep the name exposed to whoever would care. Put the name on both sides if you want people to actually see it.

My new to me boat had it's name painted on in large script on either side of the quarter. Was going to change the name till I began to sand off the old letters and found that they had become raised because of erosion of the surrounding gel coat and the color markedly different under the letters even after buffing all the oxidation off the hull. So she still is 'Ms American Pie' because of the ghosting of the old painted name and the name has begun to grow on me just as it grew on the boat.
Minnesail and Rmaddy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 06-05-2019

I have to admit that I did a crappy job putting the name on the topsides of my "new" boat. Taking the old name off was a breeze. And I watched videos of how to apply the new lettering. I made a tape hinge, carefully measured, stepped back to look, made adjustments.... and it still came out crooked. It looks.... ok.... on one side, but it looks bad on the other. I just don't know how it happened.

The lettering may need to come off before I put the boat away for the season in the fall; at the least, it's coming off when I'm on the hard. I will try again.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-05-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
My new to me boat had it's name painted on in large script on either side of the quarter. Was going to change the name till I began to sand off the old letters and found that they had become raised because of erosion of the surrounding gel coat and the color markedly different under the letters even after buffing all the oxidation off the hull.
If the letters are painted on, Easy Off oven cleaner is the easiest and safest way to get the paint off, without damaging the gel coat.
However, from your description, it sounds as of you have old or even very old vinyl lettering. Search the internet or call one of those companies and you should be on your way to a new name. The old name may be a shadow under the new one for a while, but it will soon become unnoticeable.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #14 of 31 Old 06-05-2019

Hair dryer/heat gun and single edge razor blade makes fast work of vinyl.
wymbly1971 likes this.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-05-2019
Administrator

Congratulations on the new boat. Most states only have regulations for the registration numbers but do not care about whether you piut a name on your boat, or how, or where the name is applied. I agree with some of the other comments, if the name is on the topsides of the boat, then it should appear on both sides of the boat and the graphics should be legible in case of an emergency.

I have used the hair dryer and window scraper razor to remove vinyl, and it works very well, although I would probably use one of the plastic scrapers if I had to do it today. Alcohol works well to remove the residue of the glue. There are also products that are specifically designed to remove vinyl letters and glue.

As to changing the name, that has always been scary business for me. My family has owned a several dozen boats over the years. We changed the name of three, that would be the two which lost their rigs and the one that was lost in a storm. While it is a pretty small sampling, it has always struck me as pretty good scientific evidence that changing the name of a boat is dangerous. That said I have subscribed to the theory that whatever turns a boat dangerous once it has its name changed, you can mitigate that problem if you keep part of the old name in the new name.

For example, I once bought a boat called "Miss Blitz". Frankly that sounded too Nazi for me, so I was going to change the name to 'Miss B'. But that had no meaning to me. My prior boat to that one was called 'Havn' which was Scandinavian for a port of shelter, and so I combined the two into 'Miss B. Havn' and that boat never did give me a tough time.

But I generally try to buy boats with names that I like to avoid having to deal with this whole name change issue.

Anyway, Good luck with the new boat, whatever you name her.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #16 of 31 Old 06-05-2019

Yeah..good point.
Ouji boards...and that 8 ball thing that reveales answers. Maybe found on ebay now...dunno
Or an online bruja
post #17 of 31 Old 06-05-2019

Doubt it could be worse than my boats current name...

Delbert Dan
post #18 of 31 Old 06-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

While it is a pretty small sampling, it has always struck me as pretty good scientific evidence that changing the name of a boat is dangerous.
Or that older boats with an unclear history have more issues, but then, I'm no scientist. Oh wait..
Minnesail likes this.

Renae
post #19 of 31 Old 06-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
Doubt it could be worse than my boats current name...

Delbert Dan
As long as I'm theming Medieval pseudo-period pieces:

Renae
post #20 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

If one is superstitious about names and name changes, there isn't a full prohibition. You're supposed to simply follow a pagan ritual, chant some stuff and pour some booze in the water, among some disciplined exorcism of the past name.

I'm not superstitious. I've never changed the name of purchased boat. I probably would do the ritual, if I did. What the heck. Better to be wrong about needing the ritual, than wrong about not needing it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in