Topside Name Lettering - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

Re: Topside Name Lettering

We've changed the names of 4 boats, and one we built from scratch, so we didn't have to worry about Neptune's sensibilities on that one at least.

Based on this enormous sample size , I can say with confidence that changing names doesn't result in maritime disasters. In fact, I believe that not changing the name, under some circumstances, maybe tempting fate.

Some of the old names were just horrible. I won't name them here incase one of the PO's is on this site. OK, here's some hints, one implied something bad was happening with "buoys", another was a strange take on the owner's first name, another was named for a famous boat that sank, and another was a brand name of athletic gear.

Honestly, what choice did I have?

I believe Neptune would have been more upset if I didn't scrape the old names off.

OH, and to the OP, yea, both sides, and make sure it's not a name that you'd be ashamed to say on the radio. And don't crowd source your name or you'll end up with that stupid "boaty Mc-Boat Face". Pick something good...you don't want to embarrass Neptune....you never know what might...
wymbly1971 likes this.

Last edited by capecodda; 06-06-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

Changed the name of every boat I've bought over the past 45 years and never done the ritual.
SanderO likes this.
post #23 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not superstitious... I probably would do the ritual, if I did. What the heck. Better to be wrong about needing the ritual, than wrong about not needing it.
Isn't that the very definition?

su·per·sti·tious
adjective: superstitious
Having or showing a belief in superstitions.
Minnesail and wymbly1971 like this.

post #24 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
Isn't that the very definition?

su·per·sti·tious
adjective: superstitious
Having or showing a belief in superstitions.
Yup, I was being a bit sarcastic.

Plus the ritual will clearly have some booze left over, one must have just bought a new boat......... I see the makings of something there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

Dock

When Irma was bearing down on Tampa I sacrificed a healthy tot of rum to the spirit of the boat, and diety of the marina, taking an equal share myself. I felt better leaving the marina. Maybe it was having venting my anxiety about the storm, maybe the gods were satisfied and blessed me with a supernatural calm, probably it was the rum...

I'll happily continue the superstitious rituals, they're just so much fun!
post #26 of 31 Old 06-06-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
Or that older boats with an unclear history have more issues, but then, I'm no scientist. Oh wait..
You are probably 100% correct about old boats with an unclear history. On the other hand, in this case the boat that was lost in the storm was a four year old, 32 foot boat that was well maintained, and moored on a comparatively new mooring that was normally used by a 80 footer when the unexpected fall storm cleared pretty much every boat off the mooring field between Hart Island and City Island and while most ended up being safely salvaged off on the beach at Hart Island which was directly to leeward, 'Windrift' ended beam reaching under bare poles and landed on the rocks at Fort Totten nearly 10 miles away. That sounds a little like bad Karma to me, that is if I believed in good or bad Karma.

Jeff

p.s. And for the record, while the stories I mention above are true, I am reporting them with tongue firmly in cheek and I am not really advocating that one should keep a prior owner's choice of name if it is a name that you, as the new owner, prefer something else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-06-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: fat thumbs
post #27 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

I can say with absolute certainty, based on my sample size of n=1, that changing the name is fine.

My boat was named "Stone Foot" which just sounds like something that would sink. Given how eager the previous owner was to get rid of it I changed the name to "Tag You're It" — as in "tag you're it, the 40-year-old money pit is yours now."

I did no ritual and have had no problems. In fact my very first weekend on the mooring we had 56 knot winds and although many other boats broke loose or suffered damage, Tag survived unscathed.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #28 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I did no ritual and have had no problems. In fact my very first weekend on the mooring we had 56 knot winds and although many other boats broke loose or suffered damage, Tag survived unscathed.

Here's my journal entry from the next day:
Quote:
2014-06-15
Christy and I came by after club sailing. Holy hell the storm from the day before wrecked havoc. Three boats were capsized and five others had broken free and drifted around. The dock lifted off its piling and was floating free. One boat got trapped under the dock and dismasted. Tag was safe and sound and dry. Geneva rowed us out. The starboard upper shroud was undone and the turnbuckle was in the cockpit.
I remember it now. Somehow a turnbuckle had come undone in the storm (it was my first time rigging the boat, I’m guessing I forgot to put a ring in it) but instead of falling overboard like you’d expect it ended up in the cockpit and all I had to do was re-attach it. I’d say that episode of fantastic luck is because I changed the name from something sinky to something appropriate!

I hereby declare that changing a boat name upon taking ownership is good luck.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #29 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
OR the Spirit of the ship was pleased with you for rescuing her from the obviously less than appreciative previous owner. And to show her joy at your decision to remove the stain of that horrible name from her she summoned the storm to demonstrate her grattitude, tell you she would carry you safely, and perhaps assert herself in her new home...
Minnesail likes this.
post #30 of 31 Old 06-06-2019

No one's taking this too seriously, right?
Jeff_H, capecodda and PhilCarlson like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in