New theft threat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 06-15-2019

Re: New theft threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Hear even something as simple as a wind indicator can be unreliable.
This is primarily due to distance rather than wireless robustness per se.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 06-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinghyRace View Post
Just a dinghy racer today, itís been two decades since Iíve had a boat with a chart plotter, but Iím surprised these things are still in use. You havenít all replaced them with iPads on adjustable mounts? Seems to me they have all the hardware required, and there must be some good chart plotter apps today? Raise your hand if you donít already own an iPad or two!
I have 2 iPads including the most recent pro.....none diplay my radar over my charts.......maybe that is also I surprise to you.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #13 of 36 Old 06-15-2019

New theft threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have 2 iPads including the most recent pro.....none diplay my radar over my charts.......maybe that is also I surprise to you.

A quick google search seemed to turn up a few options, but Iím not sure of the exact capabilities. This was the first link:

https://www.furuno.com/special/en/wireless/radar/

Last edited by DinghyRace; 06-15-2019 at 02:12 PM.

post #14 of 36 Old 06-16-2019

Quote:
A quick google search seemed to turn up a few options, but Iím not sure of the exact capabilities. This was the first link:

A few? Did you see any others? AFAIK, itís app will not superimpose itís radar returns over a chart, or integrate into another nav app.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 36 Old 06-16-2019

I tend to use split screen (radar/AIS on one side and chart on the other) or overlay radar at ~60% on the chart. This works great on a 10Ē or 12Ē screen. Doesnít work on a phone or even a pad. I also ďtune ď the radar as Iím often not happy with the preprogrammed or auto tune. Particularly helpful looking for squalls but at the other end also for navigational aids. Find this nearly impossible on the iPad. Sometimes I follow a depth contour, radar shoreline and monitor AIS while having the chart screen up. Get on a ship or mega yacht you see a couple of big monitors. On either you can put whatever parameters you want. No issues with reading the fine print, glare or getting to the data you want. Chart plotters are close. Pads are far behind.
Pads are good for seeing how things are going as you lie in your bunk or for chatting with another cruiser about your next leg slipping a drink. But for actual transits unfortunately the chart plotters are still better.
DinghyRace likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #16 of 36 Old 06-16-2019

How do you know it doesn't work on a tablet - other than there are no actual apps that do this?

Many tablets are larger and much higher resolution than many chart plotters.

For example, Apple makes a 13" iPad with an incredible 2388x1668 resolution. I just installed a new 12" chartplotter with a measly 1280x800 resolution. The plotter allows me to control it with the iPad, but it forces the iPad into the plotter's resolution. It looks terrible in comparison to the normal iPad resolution. I don't think there are any recreational plotters that even come close to tablet resolution specs. Those large screens you see in ships are not plotters - they are expensive high resolution displays only. The plotters are actual computers, and not the recreational stuff we use. At the low end, they are black box plotters of our variety, only driving separate high resolution displays.

The most expensive iPad costs 1/3 of the chartplotter I just installed.

Mark
chef2sail and DinghyRace like this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #17 of 36 Old 06-16-2019

Quote:

I know how to google search too.

It does not lay the radar over the chart like an DEDICATED chart plotter does

Try again.........you wonít find one yet BTW

I love my I pads BUT as in previous threads the two are not the same (yet)
DinghyRace likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #18 of 36 Old 06-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
How do you know it doesn't work on a tablet - other than there are no actual apps that do this?

Many tablets are larger and much higher resolution than many chart plotters.

For example, Apple makes a 13" iPad with an incredible 2388x1668 resolution. I just installed a new 12" chartplotter with a measly 1280x800 resolution. The plotter allows me to control it with the iPad, but it forces the iPad into the plotter's resolution. It looks terrible in comparison to the normal iPad resolution. I don't think there are any recreational plotters that even come close to tablet resolution specs. Those large screens you see in ships are not plotters - they are expensive high resolution displays only. The plotters are actual computers, and not the recreational stuff we use. At the low end, they are black box plotters of our variety, only driving separate high resolution displays.

The most expensive iPad costs 1/3 of the chartplotter I just installed.

Mark
Not really true Mark

Not against the I pads as I have two including the newest Pro Model . 11 inch A12 chip. The cheepest I saw the 256 gig with WiFi is over $850. No plan

There are certainly some MFD comparable.

Your point about the resolution is well taken, though my older Raymarine C90W certainly is good enough for my 65 year old tired eyes.
outbound likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #19 of 36 Old 06-16-2019

Itís all about seeing all the relevant data on one screen in a readable format and the ability to easily access (and switch) parameters. The screen itís on is fairly irrelevant be it pad, monitor or integral. Resolution is important to the point it adds deciphering but Iím not watching movies just want to get where Iím going safely. Sure itís great I can adjust my music system from my RM screen but so what.
As said a central ďbrainĒ in a watertight compartment being feed by all your peripherals could be on any damn screen and Iíd be a happy camper. Even now send the RM to the IPad. Agree thereís no reason other than the security of redundancy for having multiple processors. Would think to meet that concern just like having two drives for the AP you could have two mirrored processors. Updates and self diagnostics should be automatic. Diagnostics for the peripherals should be included. This can be done through WiFi when available or if key and urgent then the sat phone. This business of downloading or updating charts by the end user seems ridiculous as well.
Gee wiz even my car does this stuff in the background without my input.
The paradigm has shifted. Tablets donít have the basic configuration to serve these functions and chart plotters are way too expensive for what you get, cumbersome to use as you scroll through menus or try to recall how to access a function and are poorly designed seemingly due to legacy concerns.
If one of the current chart plotter vendors changed the paradigm to offer a brain and peripherals that could be projected to any screen or monitor of the users choice think they would get a large proportion of the market. Especially if the interface (monitor/pad) allowed user input asking for data with winter gloves on or the screen wet or when bumpy so hitting the right spot in a screen isnít required. In short a hybrid interface. Think given the brain would be as cheap as a low tech tower. Not much doing for the cpu. So the whole package could come in at comparable costs to current options.
Iíve thought to do this with my toughbook. Because of AIS, radar and the other peripherals itís not practical. Rather than FLIR or sonar which seems a waste of time for the recreational boater would sure like some CCTV. Iím often by myself and it sure would decrease the pucker factor docking. See it on even fairly small(Norhavn 43 and the like) motorboats. One looking down from each of the spreaders that you could click to or something similar. Be particularly helpful on big cats with the helm off to one side.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #20 of 36 Old 06-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Not really true Mark

Not against the I pads as I have two including the newest Pro Model . 11 inch A12 chip. The cheepest I saw the 256 gig with WiFi is over $850. No plan

There are certainly some MFD comparable.

Your point about the resolution is well taken, though my older Raymarine C90W certainly is good enough for my 65 year old tired eyes.
What isn't true? That Apple makes a 13" tablet? That it has the resolution I stated? That it cost 1/3 of the plotter I just bought? That many tablets are larger than many chartplotters?

All of those are true.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in