New theft threat - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

Re: New theft threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Also allow for colorblindness if needed. One of my good friends on a sistership is colorblind. Rather than color demarcating heading and cog use little balls or dashes for those lines. Even for us using the same screens for the last six years takes awhile to figure which is which especially when tired or in rain/fog/full sun/screens turned down at night.
Like mentioned, there are many programs running on computers and tablets, and probably some plotters, that do all of what you want. Optimum routing taking into account weather, currents, boat polars and great circle has been common for a long time. Even for free on OpenCPN.

I was quite surprised at the new Furuno, Simrad, and B&G instrumentation we are installing. They have a litany of color palletes to choose from for display. Red/green color blind? No problem, they have that covered with other color schemes. Want your wind graph to match your upholstery? Check. If one is truly blind to all color, they can be set to black and white. And in reversed mode if wanted. Heading and COG lines can be set to a multitude of line styles, as well as colors and thicknesses. Dots, dashes, dashes and dots, etc. For normal vision, I was also surprised at how well dusk and night modes are accomplished. In the past, this generally meant just dulling the brightness and contrast, and made everything that much harder to see. So bad that we never used it - instead just putting the cover on it when we didn't need it. Now, the screens change to whole different color palletes and styles, and are "bright" and fully and easily readable without ruining night vision any more than necessary (at least no more, and I think less, than the old way).

Hope this doesn't make them more prone to theft (see what I did there?).

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
There are other Chartplotters than the brands you mentioned or did you convienenly forget to post them. None are 3 times the $1300 I pad . Most are 12 inches but who needs another TV set.

Garmin Echo map $2790

B&G Vulcan $2199

Lowrance Elite $1819

SiTex -$1874
I included the Garmin Echo above (although I rounded to $2800 on its price).

I see your argument has now shifted from $500-600 to the $2000-3000 price points. OK, now the high end iPad I mentioned is only 1.5-2x cheaper instead of 3x. You got me.

But if you are going to bring in smaller plotters than 12", then you also need to drop the tablet size accordingly, and the point I make about size, resolution, and price still holds.

As for 12", you might think it is a TV set, but for those of us doing long distance and long term cruising, like Outbound has been describing, 12" becomes around the minimal size for split screens, overlays, and multiple data streams. Our previous plotter was 8", and that was difficult to use in these modes. Like Outbound, we often have radar and chart on split screens, as well as pulling up AIS lists or instrument displays on screen as needed. Often we have radar in split screen showing two ranges. Sometimes with a chart overlay.

This might not be the way you use a plotter, but it isn't a reason to denigrate those that do as using a "TV set" (BTW, our TV is 28" - I couldn't watch a 12" set, even my computer is 15"). 12" today is actually becoming the smaller end of plotters.

I'm hearing silence on examples of where I've been hell-bent on pushing tablets in lieu of fixed plotters. Perhaps your accusation needs to be withdrawn?

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #33 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

C & C know what you guys posted. Try to use it. Decade old cars let you pick no tolls or shortest or fastest. One click on one screen and you’re done. User interface leaves much to be desired. Have have open on the toughbook, the RM does great circle automatically without me even asking. Navionics on the iPad gives POI that’s up to date. Both the navionics and the RM are cloud edited including sonar. Nothing does it all. Still spend time before leaving going through everything. When on the fly or things change still a PIA to recalibrate. The RM is circa 2013 and works. Sounds like I should look at Furuno more. From the others I’ve had opportunity to play with and the the B&G was the nicest. Haven’t played with a new furuno except briefly on a stationary 54’ lady krogan a fellow cruiser was showing to me and the bride.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #34 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

You might enjoy playing with predictwind..departure planning.
Predicts..for example..sea state, wind, speed etc along route and compares choices to easily read
post #35 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Sounds like I should look at Furuno more.
I don't know about that, and am not pimping Furuno - I suspect all of them are like this now. Our B&G Tritons have a multitude of color palletes and great night modes, so I expect their plotters do also. Same with our Simrad AP controller. I've no experience with Raymarine, but they have always paid attention to user interface, so expect them to be up on this. Our previous Garmin was from 2015 and was awful in this regard - but again, I suspect they are different now. Our previous Furuno was from 2011 and was equally awful in this regard.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #36 of 36 Old 06-17-2019

As stated have used circa 2018 devices. Not there yet.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in